2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How many interviews does it usually take to get a clerkship? Most of the people I know who are clerking just had one . . . I've had three and still nothing :oops:
Another data point: 4 interviews for 2 clerkships (3 of which were for the first one)
5 interviews for one offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How many interviews does it usually take to get a clerkship? Most of the people I know who are clerking just had one . . . I've had three and still nothing :oops:
Another data point: 4 interviews for 2 clerkships (3 of which were for the first one)
OP here. I just wanted to say that I appreciate everyone's data points. Thank you! :)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
OP here. I just wanted to say that I appreciate everyone's data points. Thank you! :)
I'll give another; two interviews for two clerkships.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I'll give another; two interviews for two clerkships.
Hang in there, OP. It took me ~10 interviews for 2 clerkships. Clerkship hiring is very idiosyncratic so, as cliche as this sounds, sometimes you just need to find the right fit. Even getting interviews at all is a good sign.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:38 pm

Anyone have any info on Samuel Mays (WD TN)? He's still open for 17-18.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know it's late in the game for 2017, but ANY news on judges giving interviews or offers? I have some 2017 Fall apps out, and they are still open and available on OSCAR, but I haven't heard anything yet (here or from judges).
Bump (city).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any info on Samuel Mays (WD TN)? He's still open for 17-18.

I believe he just filled that position.

OutoftheWoods

Bronze

Post by OutoftheWoods » Mon May 08, 2017 11:23 pm

Dumb question maybe...any hope for these new judicial appointees? Do they get law clerks right away or do they share clerks with other judges given the abruptness?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 08, 2017 11:29 pm

The ones that are getting promoted from other courts will probably just take their clerks with them.

Newsom is coming from a firm, he might bring associates. Barrett might just take along a few of her favorite students. Just speculating here of course, but Stras and Larsen will almost certainly just take along whoever they've already hired.

Also these guys aren't gonna be on the bench for another couple of months at least.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 08, 2017 11:50 pm

Bump. Anyone have insight into Hull (11th), Thomas (9th), Williams (7th), Browning (D. NM)? All still available on OSCAR.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2017 11:48 am

Bump. Anyone have insight into Hull (11th), Thomas (9th), Williams (7th), Browning (D. NM)? All still available on OSCAR.
I tried calling Thomas' chambers but couldn't find a number.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2017 11:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:Bump. Anyone have insight into Hull (11th), Thomas (9th), Williams (7th), Browning (D. NM)? All still available on OSCAR.
I think Judge Browning is hiring a full time clerk at half pay. I saw it on one of the other threads.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2017 11:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:Bump. Anyone have insight into Hull (11th), Thomas (9th), Williams (7th), Browning (D. NM)? All still available on OSCAR.
Judge Hull's OSCAR page says Law Review required. Is that actually true? I am graduating this year from mid T-14 and I have a district court clerkship in the area lined up for 2018, but am not on law review. Do I have a shot? Is it even worth applying?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2017 11:56 am

Does anyone have any information on COA judges hiring for this term that are not on OSCAR? Is there a way to find out other than calling individual chambers? I realize this is a long-shot, but I might as well ask.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2017 12:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Does anyone have any information on COA judges hiring for this term that are not on OSCAR? Is there a way to find out other than calling individual chambers? I realize this is a long-shot, but I might as well ask.
I got both of my clerkships (2nd/DC/9th and SDNY/DDC/NDIll) via calling individual chambers of judges not on OSCAR. Make the damn calls.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2017 12:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I got both of my clerkships (2nd/DC/9th and SDNY/DDC/NDIll) via calling individual chambers of judges not on OSCAR. Make the damn calls.

Wow. That's impressive, nice job. Any suggestions on how to go about it? Just go one by one? And I'm sure it depends on the particular clerk/context of the convo, but would it be OK to ask the clerk if they know if any other judges are hiring in that circuit?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2017 12:09 pm

(accidental repost - deleted)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2017 12:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Judge Hull's OSCAR page says Law Review required. Is that actually true? I am graduating this year from mid T-14 and I have a district court clerkship in the area lined up for 2018, but am not on law review. Do I have a shot? Is it even worth applying?

Not sure re law review, but I noticed that Judge Hull filled three of four openings on OSCAR. If it is accurate, it means there is still one spot available.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2017 12:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Wow. That's impressive, nice job. Any suggestions on how to go about it? Just go one by one? And I'm sure it depends on the particular clerk/context of the convo, but would it be OK to ask the clerk if they know if any other judges are hiring in that circuit?
(1) I literally just took a week, looked up every federal judge in every city I'd be willing to work in, called chambers and asked, "...hiring?" I don't think I ever received a negative response from any chambers. I didn't call chambers where the judge seemed to be like over 80 or something, though. Or where Leadership Libraries informed me that the judge was senior and only had like a one clerk or something.

(2) Asking the clerk whether they know if any other judges are hiring in that circuit sounds weird AF. Don't do that

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Tue May 09, 2017 12:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any information on COA judges hiring for this term that are not on OSCAR? Is there a way to find out other than calling individual chambers? I realize this is a long-shot, but I might as well ask.

(1) I literally just took a week, looked up every federal judge in every city I'd be willing to work in, called chambers and asked, "...hiring?" I don't think I ever received a negative response from any chambers. I didn't call chambers where the judge seemed to be like over 80 or something, though. Or where Leadership Libraries informed me that the judge was senior and only had like a one clerk or something.

(2) Asking the clerk whether they know if any other judges are hiring in that circuit sounds weird AF. Don't do that
I agree with this - you're asking about COA judges not on OSCAR, which is a really small universe even if you're not limiting your search in other ways. Shouldn't take you very long to assemble a list and make the calls. The JA or clerk who you speak to is very unlikely to know anything about other judges' hiring practices.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2017 1:27 pm

mjb447 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any information on COA judges hiring for this term that are not on OSCAR? Is there a way to find out other than calling individual chambers? I realize this is a long-shot, but I might as well ask.

I agree with this - you're asking about COA judges not on OSCAR, which is a really small universe even if you're not limiting your search in other ways. Shouldn't take you very long to assemble a list and make the calls. The JA or clerk who you speak to is very unlikely to know anything about other judges' hiring practices.
Thanks, very helpful. Just FYI, I am definitely not against calling (and am calling right now as I type this), but I was jw if there was something else I was missing. It's my first time cold calling chambers.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2017 1:51 pm

When is it appropriate to start spamming Trump's latest batch of nominees with applications?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2017 1:59 pm

Right after they are confirmed or else they'd ignore your apps, thinking it's inappropriate in the process of confirmation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2017 2:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Right after they are confirmed or else they'd ignore your apps, thinking it's inappropriate in the process of confirmation.
How do you plan on applying to them? Where do you send your app?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2017 3:12 pm

their previous emails (if publicly available) or chambers addresses, they'll get forwarded to the new addresses.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”