2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know the deal with Judge Fuentes (3d Cir.) in Newark? Did he hire without posting on oscar?
Yes he did.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know the deal with Judge Fuentes (3d Cir.) in Newark? Did he hire without posting on oscar?
Yes he did.
Thanks. Do you know if all of his 2017 slots are now full?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:17 am

Has anybody received an interview for any magistrate clerkships?

deuceindc

Bronze

Post by deuceindc » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anybody received an interview for any magistrate clerkships?
A friend of mine just scheduled one in a fly-over district.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:45 pm

Just accepted a D. Ct. spot in one of the most competitive markets in the country. Just when I had given up hope for getting something for this term too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:04 am

Mass SJC interview invites going out

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:29 am

good to see there's still hope; still waiting here. gl anon user who just accepted their clerkship!

MyNameIsFlynn!

Silver

Post by MyNameIsFlynn! » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just accepted a D. Ct. spot in one of the most competitive markets in the country. Just when I had given up hope for getting something for this term too.
Congrats!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:43 am

Thanks for the congrats guys. I also started getting interviews for 2019 slots right after I accepted this position. This is a weird process...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cant_stump_trump2020

New

Post by Cant_stump_trump2020 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:24 pm

I realize the majority of the discussion ITT is about Fed D. Ct. but I've just recently begun sending out apps to fed magistrate and local state appellate. Looks like fed magistrate ones are periodically continuing to pop up.

hoping to nab something. I'm gonna apply to every single one I can once I get these damn LoRs

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:53 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just want to note that Judge Kleinfeld (9th) has at least begun started extending interview offers.
For '17-'18? He hired someone for that term 6+ months ago.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just want to note that Judge Kleinfeld (9th) has at least begun started extending interview offers.
For '17-'18? He hired someone for that term 6+ months ago.

Definitely hit the wrong thread, sorry.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the congrats guys. I also started getting interviews for 2019 slots right after I accepted this position. This is a weird process...

Agreed. I think I finally found something worse than 2L OCI. At least there, someone else is paying for your flights.

To the person asking about magistrate clerkships: CA/DDC/EDVA/NY has started

Does anyone know what happens if you get a magistrate offer but still have district interviews pending?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know what happens if you get a magistrate offer but still have district interviews pending?
Those situations follow the general clerkship hiring guideline of do not accept an interview with a judge you wouldn't want to clerk for and/or clerk in a place you would not want to live and do not decline an offer. Some exceptions to being unable to decline an offer are if the judge allows you to consider other offers you may have already have on the table at the time that judge offers you the position and if personal circumstances preclude you from accepting (illness, etc.)

In theory, the offer acceptance timetable might allow you to go on the dj interviews and hope their hiring timeframe aligns with the mj's offer timetable, but, again, that would result in declining the mj's offer which is just bad form unless the judge allows it in my opinion. Clerkship hiring is not like law firm hiring where there is more wiggle room to walk away from an offer for a better one. It's a much more intimate process and a judge who is making you an offer is saying out of all the qualified applicants I had, I am choosing to work closely with you for the next term or two. It's a much more honorific situation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know what happens if you get a magistrate offer but still have district interviews pending?
Doing anything but accepting the MJ offer carries the same risks that not immediately accepting any clerkship offer carries, which is to say don't do it unless you're prepared to lose the offer (assuming no timeline or very short timeline for acceptance is specified).

Also, while I'm sure it varies quite a bit from judge to judge, I think many judges have particularly negative feelings about an applicant shopping around if they're just trying to get a job with a more "prestigious" judge (versus, for example, asking if you can delay accepting an offer so you can go on an upcoming interview in the geographic region where you want to practice or that aligns better with your career goals for a pretty specific reason). Some judges might consider it tantamount to saying that their work isn't interesting enough for you and a clerkship with them isn't good enough for your resume, but you'll settle for it if you can't get anything else.

Of course, the MJ might volunteer that you have a little time to accept, in which case you can do as the anon above me said if you've got DJ interviews scheduled during that time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:52 am

Does anyone know anything about Judge Curiel's hiring for '17-'18?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:40 am

Former extern here. How can I ask my former judge, who likes me personally, to make a couple calls on my behalf to judges within the same district/circuit? Should I call/email him/her and flat out ask, or is there a more tactful way to do it?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Former extern here. How can I ask my former judge, who likes me personally, to make a couple calls on my behalf to judges within the same district/circuit? Should I call/email him/her and flat out ask, or is there a more tactful way to do it?
Depends a lot on your relationship, your judge, and the culture in your district/circuit. Some judges might take the question poorly and you might do better to ask for more general "help" or "advice" with your career or with clerkship apps. I've also known some who would be fine being asked that question directly (although, in many cases, the answer would be "no/probably not" unless the extern were truly a rock star or already had an interview with a different judge scheduled).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Former extern here. How can I ask my former judge, who likes me personally, to make a couple calls on my behalf to judges within the same district/circuit? Should I call/email him/her and flat out ask, or is there a more tactful way to do it?
Depends a lot on your relationship, your judge, and the culture in your district/circuit. Some judges might take the question poorly and you might do better to ask for more general "help" or "advice" with your career or with clerkship apps. I've also known some who would be fine being asked that question directly (although, in many cases, the answer would be "no/probably not" unless the extern were truly a rock star or already had an interview with a different judge scheduled).
It's a good relationship but I wasn't any kind of rock star. What do you think of, say, "Judge X, I'm finalizing clerkship applications and applying to Judges Y and Z [in the same district/circuit]. Could you provide me with any feedback or advice given what you know of their chambers?"

New

Post by Offline » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:44 pm

I know that 3 LORs are required. Do all of them have to come from professors or can it be from a former employer?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:19 pm

Offline wrote:I know that 3 LORs are required. Do all of them have to come from professors or can it be from a former employer?
I had two from employers and one from a professor. I applied as an alum a few years out, so it made even more sense for me than it might have for a law student, but there's no rule that all of the letters have to be from professors. (It can, however, be more painful to get outside recommenders to use OSCAR correctly and provide letters as you need them.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It's a good relationship but I wasn't any kind of rock star. What do you think of, say, "Judge X, I'm finalizing clerkship applications and applying to Judges Y and Z [in the same district/circuit]. Could you provide me with any feedback or advice given what you know of their chambers?"
That's pretty good. My thought was just that, if this is a relationship you'd like to maintain in the future for other employers outside the court, being flexible and diminishing potential awkwardness are both good goals. Asking a judge to put in a good word for you with a colleague can be an especially big ask due to the ongoing relationships that judges have.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:31 pm

Quick q: C+ in Admin. Law. All other grades just below, near or above median (B+). Am I fuct?

nothingtosee

Silver

Post by nothingtosee » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
It's a good relationship but I wasn't any kind of rock star. What do you think of, say, "Judge X, I'm finalizing clerkship applications and applying to Judges Y and Z [in the same district/circuit]. Could you provide me with any feedback or advice given what you know of their chambers?"
I think this is fine. I've used "I'm wondering if you have any advice, either in general or specifically about the clerkship application process." After you've told them you're applying to Judges X and Y, they'll either offer to help or won't. Often, a district judge in one district will have no relations at all with circuit judges or judges in other districts.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”