SCOTUS clerk taking questions about federal clerkships Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: SCOTUS clerk taking questions about federal clerkships

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:45 am

Doorkeeper wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does OP (or anyone else) know if the Bristow, like DOJ honors generally, is unavailable to those who spent a year at a firm following their COA clerkship?
Yes. DOJ Honors is unavailable to you if you work at a firm for any length of time. You must apply to it the year that you do your clerkship (assuming you go straight from the JD into the clerkship).
I believe this is also true of the Bristow.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:46 am

OP, for someone who is doing a non-feeder 2/9/DC COA clerkship and then a district court clerkship, but might have a 'reasonable' shot at SCOTUS, would it make sense to do a third clerkship, this time with a feeder, or does that sound too likely to be a waste of time?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:02 pm

Not sure I agree that a lawyer spending a year at a firm would be ineligible. Note the use of "typically"

Qualifications

Applicants must be law school graduates with excellent academic records. They typically come to the fellowship after completion of a one-year judicial clerkship, most frequently with a federal appellate court judge. OSG receives applications from a diverse group of graduates from law schools throughout the United States.

The fellowship has a one-year term that cannot lead directly to employment in the Solicitor General's Office. The salary is established at the GS-12 level.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:03 pm

Admin/moderator

This really deserves a sticky

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:05 pm

Go to the moderation thread and request a sticky. If you are concerned about outing yourself by posting under your username (which seems off, but k) you should probably pm someone like BK, Nony, or Aschup.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chem!

Platinum

Post by chem! » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:32 pm

Sticky applied.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:33 pm

Thanks for answering all of these questions. How much does participation in your school's Supreme Court clinic help in the SCOTUS application process?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:07 pm

I'll echo others: your willingness to do this is a godsend in an otherwise opaque process. Thanks again!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:34 pm

I have a hunch that SCOTUS anon was discouraged from further posting due to this thread being stickied. I would vote for un-stickying it. It's a very interesting thread, but it focuses on a single court that is out of reach for most people reading this board. It's not the sort of general, FAQ-like, "the board gets these questions all the time, so let's consolidate for efficiency" type of topic that makes sense for a sticky.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This is OP. I will be available to answer questions today and possibly tomorrow, but I do not know when my next series of responses will be after that. I'm not sure if that will be the end of the thread or not. But I don't warrant replying to anything posted after tomorrow. So if you have any final questions, please go ahead now.
OP posted this last Sunday, so I suspect the sticky doesn't have anything to do with his/her absence. However, OP, if you are around and don't want to post due to the sticky, feel free to PM and I'll change it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:37 pm

I've seen a lot of posts about professors/deans calling, but I don't think I saw this one answered: how often do circuit judges (at least outside of the top feeders) call a justice to recommend a clerk? Does that kind of thing noticeably help an applicant's odds?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
. . . But look me in the proverbial eye and tell me Rader isn't crazy.
What could possibly have led you to say something like this about a judge?

You're insinuating that Judge Rader is either bonkers or worse (acting in bad faith) when making his decisions. Unless you've met him or know something specific, I think it's unfair and offensive to attribute bad faith or craziness to him.

I've met him and spoken to several of his clerks, and there's nothing that would lead me to think that he does anything other than consider his cases intelligently, thoughtfully and in good faith.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

You're insinuating that Judge Rader is either bonkers or worse (acting in bad faith) when making his decisions. Unless you've met him or know something specific, I think it's unfair and offensive to attribute bad faith or craziness to him.

I've met him and spoken to several of his clerks, and there's nothing that would lead me to think that he does anything other than consider his cases intelligently, thoughtfully and in good faith.
Are you KIDDING. OP has done nothing but strive to preserve confidentiality. This was simply a joke.

You should be ashamed.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Humor: how the fuck does it work? Chill out.

bruinfan10

Silver

Post by bruinfan10 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:14 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How much of a difference does moot court make?
You'll get in everywhere you apply!!!!!1
Now that SCOTUS clerk is almost certainly gone, I just want to point out that DF's trolling literally knows no bounds. I mean, unless you're a SCOTUS aspirant now dooder? :lol:

In fairness though, the clerk did break down the key components of a SCOTUS clerkship application by relative weight (school/class rank/institutional support/etc etc) multiple times in this thread, so the original question was pretty awful, but I can say as someone with some experience in the feeder clerkship game that some kind of marquee/recognizable moot court win is a fun little soft for your app--maybe like having some solid publications to your name--but is it along the lines of getting a personal phone rec from Martha Minow?

Let's just say that if you see your moot court win as an appreciable asset at this stage, you're probably not in the game (unless, for example, you had a big name AIII judge on the final panel and they were so impressed by your performance that they offer to make personal calls on your behalf, but I don't think that's what you're talking about).

Citizen Genet

Silver

Post by Citizen Genet » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:47 am

bruinfan10 wrote: Let's just say that if you see your moot court win as an appreciable asset at this stage, you're probably not in the game
+1. It is really easy to over-estimate how shiny your resume is. Once you are in the game and looking at who is around you, you begin to realize how little a lot of things on a resume mean.

It's all about what you know. Then it's all about who you know that knows what you know and who they know.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:43 am

In other words, would someone like Tribe calling have as much sway on Justices like Scalia, Thomas, Alito or Roberts?
Not the OP, but HLS grad/clerk with personal knowledge. Yes. They all take Tribe's calls and take him seriously. He is known for going to bat for the best students across the ideological spectrum and being transparent about all their qualities. He has placed his RAs and TAs across the court. This is true of many, though not all, top-shelf SCOTUS recommenders. They cherish their status as gatekeepers to the Elect. To become a truly great recommender with maximum power, you need to develop a reputation for having an eye for talent that isn't compromised by ideology.

Look at it this way -- they're law professors. Placing students on the court is a way for them to gain status. Thus, if they think you're a star, their interests are really aligned with yours even if you, they, and the target justice have different philosophies. Plus, clerkship recommendations are the only chance most of them will ever have to change a justice's mind. (To get at the snarky truth, those letters may be the only thing they write that the justices will actually read.)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:25 pm

I'm not sure if OP is coming back, but I second the question about Columbia recommenders. Immensely grateful for this post and all the fascinating information!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:53 pm

I hope OP comes back, but if anyone else qualified to answer these questions can do so I'd love that.

1. I'm going straight in to HLS school from undergrad. I'm worried though that all the people that have taken time off before law school will have all those extra years of accomplishments to brag about when they apply for SCOTUS. Is this a serious disadvantage to me? Generally speaking, if you want SCOTUS is it a good idea to take gap years before law school, and what sort of things should you seek to do in those gap years?

2. A lot has been made of having professors/deans/judges "go to bat for you." Obviously this entails getting said professors/deans/judges to like you, and this entails interacting with them and creating relationships. Some of this I'm sure will happen naturally (i.e. you have a class with said professor and thus naturally form a relationship). But other times it will likely have to be purposeful on one's part. Here's my question-- do Professors/Deans/Judges ever make a concerted effort to block people from getting COA or SCOTUS clerkships? Because if they rarely will do anything BAD to keep you from getting a clerkship, then the risk of approaching/networking with a professor is essentially 0. But if they do often block people then this makes the manner in which you approach and network much more important.

Thank you OP and everyone else for your assistance.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:03 pm

Does anyone know the pay for a 4th yr (job and 2 clerkships) applicant to SCOTUS? Do they pay JS-14 to anyone?

Sorry mods, but this is a bit sensitive to ask and so I posted ANON

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:37 pm

How much does personality factor into clerkship consideration?

Are any SCOTUS/Appellate clerks itt URMs? Have any of you clerked with URMs? It's pretty depressing when looking at the demographic breakdowns for SCOTUS/Appellate Clerking. Is this because of a lack of opportunity for URMs or rather a lack of qualifying URM candidates?

Does anyone envision a greater level of diversity (racial, geographic, scholastic, ect.) in the near future?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:21 pm

Yes, I clerked with a URM with a feeder, will keep it at that because of outtability concerns. He was fantastic, and had a resume just like the rest of us.

I will say this, not many URMs tend to make it to the pool of potential feeder clerks at HYS: the combination of grades, LR, and other intangibles. Those URMs in that pool had as good or better outcomes for what is basically a big roll of the dice. But affirmative action is a lot less of a big thing at this level than it is elsewhere in the legal profession.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:46 pm

I think some of it is just demographics - it's a small pool of people in the running for top clerkships, and there aren't a ton of URMs at the top schools (or law schools generally). There are also people who don't want to clerk because they don't want to take the financial hit, and I have no idea if this applies more disproportionately to URMs or not, but it could.

I do think it could get better as the judiciary itself gets more diverse - I know some AA/Hispanic judges who consistently hire URM clerks. Not saying that old white men won't hire URMs, at all, but this goes to your first question - personality does matter in that it's a very personal relationship, and if at the interview the judge doesn't think they'll get along with you, they're not going to hire you. Subconscious bias can play into that in that people tend to be drawn to people who are similar to them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:00 pm

Word on the street is equal number of book prizes and Ps at SLS is the very edge of plausibility for SCOTUS clerkship. Anyone have any insight into whether that's true? I know it will also depend on other things, but I don't want to start hassling my recommenders for no reason.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”