Post-Clerkship Comp Thread (2nd Yr Bonus, Class Credit, etc) Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Post-Clerkship Comp Thread (2nd Yr Bonus, Class Credit, etc)

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know Munger's policy?
Judicial clerks are entitled to a bonus of $50,000. We can advance you the first-half of your clerkship bonus ($25,000 less appropriate taxes) at any time following the conclusion of your clerkship once we have completed the background check and the process for identifying and resolving potential conflicts. The balance (less appropriate taxes) will be paid within the first week of your employment. Payment of the clerkship bonus is subject to resolution of all actual and potential conflicts, and a background check, all of which must be satisfactory to the firm. Please contact Kevinn Villard two weeks prior to leaving your clerkship to discuss when and where your bonus should be sent.
Munger does not appear to pay an additional bonus for two clerkships. Munger does actively try to recruit Supreme Court clerks (and pays market bonus for SCOTUS clerks).

Incoming associate benefits include:
The firm will pay the cost of any standard bar review course you take, as well as the following costs associated with taking the bar exam: application for the California Bar Exam, application for Determination of Moral Character, MPRE Registration, Bar Exam Registration, laptop computer fee, and fingerprinting charges. We do not reimburse late fees, hotel, or travel expenses incurred in connection with taking the bar. If you take the bar before you start at the firm and have not worked at a law firm in California following law school, you are also entitled to a bar stipend ($10,000 less appropriate taxes). . . . The firm also pays for mandatory California State Bar dues, 50% of any voluntary bar memberships, 50% of any section memberships in the California State Bar, and admission fees for Central, Northern, Eastern, and Southern Districts of California. If you join the California Bar before starting at the firm, we will reimburse you for the pro rata portion of your dues following your start date.
MTO will reimburse up to $7000 of receipt/invoice supported costs to move your household goods from your place of permanent residence, school, or clerkship to the city in which you will commence employment. . . . Reimbursable moving expenses include the cost of storing and insuring household goods and personal effects for up to 60 days. . . . MTO will reimburse the coach-class airfare (advance purchase required) for you and your eligible dependents from your current place of residence, school or clerkship to the city in which you will commence employment. If you elect to drive, we will reimburse reasonable and accountable relocation expenses for lodging and meals and will provide mileage reimbursement for a direct route to the MTO office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:54 pm

Anyone know Bartlit Beck's clerkship bonus policy?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:55 pm

Anyone know Kellog Huber's policy? I heard that a long time ago they paid above-market clerkship bonuses, but that they no longer do this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:27 pm

It is surprising that there's not a standard market bonus for two clerkships.

Why would this be? I suppose some of the firms assume they're desirable enough without paying the 2nd bonus. But it's not clear to me that you'd go to, say, Gibson over Wilmerhale if the latter is going to pay you 20k more

Later Edit: Which to me seems to indicate that they'll negotiate and just don't want to make it an across-the board policy...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know Kellog Huber's policy? I heard that a long time ago they paid above-market clerkship bonuses, but that they no longer do this.
They pay well above market bonus and base pay.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:53 am

I've read a few times that one can get a higher bonus after clerking for the Federal Circuit. Is this actually true? Where, and how much?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know Kellog Huber's policy? I heard that a long time ago they paid above-market clerkship bonuses, but that they no longer do this.
They pay well above market bonus and base pay.
Can anyone speak more to this?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:52 pm

I heard from a Biglaw associate that he/she knew people who had clerked for one year-->practiced for one year-->clerked for an additional year, and then negotiated with a new firm (not the firm they practiced at previously) to receive the full 2 year clerkship bonus, despite the fact that they had already received the 1 year bonus from the firm they worked at immediately after their first clerkship. Has anyone else heard of this happening?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know Munger's policy?
Judicial clerks are entitled to a bonus of $50,000. We can advance you the first-half of your clerkship bonus ($25,000 less appropriate taxes) at any time following the conclusion of your clerkship once we have completed the background check and the process for identifying and resolving potential conflicts. The balance (less appropriate taxes) will be paid within the first week of your employment. Payment of the clerkship bonus is subject to resolution of all actual and potential conflicts, and a background check, all of which must be satisfactory to the firm. Please contact Kevinn Villard two weeks prior to leaving your clerkship to discuss when and where your bonus should be sent.
Munger does not appear to pay an additional bonus for two clerkships. Munger does actively try to recruit Supreme Court clerks (and pays market bonus for SCOTUS clerks).
And doesn't MTO have a ridiculous percentage of SCOTUS clerks? What other firms are like that? Obviously not going to apply to me in any way but I'm curious.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:37 am

Susman does market SCOTUS bonuses.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:54 pm

Different sort of question, but when are these bonuses paid out?

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:35 pm

The previous page of the thread answers your question.

Anonymous User

Re: Post-Clerkship Comp Thread+Firms Paying 2nd Clerkship Bonus

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Re: the above post...from what I know, most firms pay a lump sum at the outset. There is usually an agreement (written or otherwise) that you will stay for at least a year after receiving the bonus.
So it is. Thanks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

GertrudePerkins

Bronze

Post by GertrudePerkins » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:14 am

A friend recently (i.e., this calendar year) received an offer from Kellogg after a COA clerkship: the proposed clerkship bonus was $175K for a two-year commitment. Yes, you read that right, $175K for a COA clerkship. I don't know about class credit or multiple clerkships.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:47 am

GertrudePerkins wrote:
A friend recently (i.e., this calendar year) received an offer from Kellogg after a COA clerkship: the proposed clerkship bonus was $175K for a two-year commitment. Yes, you read that right, $175K for a COA clerkship. I don't know about class credit or multiple clerkships.
That's unreal. Well, time to get my Kellog Huber application ready.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:07 pm

GertrudePerkins wrote:
Kellogg associates earn that bonus. A lifestyle firm, it's not.

ETA: Nothing wrong with Kellogg Huber. Great attorneys and interesting work. And you would have to work hard at other firms that don't pay the above-market bonus. But Kellogg does have a reputation for maintaining a particularly demanding environment for associates.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:17 am

Did anybody here go to a corporate position after their clerkship? Did you get credit for your clerkship year and/or did you get a bonus?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:Did anybody here go to a corporate position after their clerkship? Did you get credit for your clerkship year and/or did you get a bonus?
I have a buddy who did a federal district court clerkship and then went to the corporate group of a V10. He got the bonus and class credit.

achilles42

New

Post by achilles42 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:51 pm

I'm not sure where op's williams & connolly information is coming from...could OP provide link / source?

Also, w&c starting salary is 180, not 160, so after 2 yrs of clerkships an incoming 3rd year would start at 210 (180, 195, 210). Also the only info I found on w&c clerkship bonuses was ATL (http://abovethelaw.com/2008/01/clerkshi ... o-45k-90k/), which says 2 clerkships = 90k. But that was 2008. Not sure if w&c bonuses have since tanked?

Anyone have updated info on this?

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:04 pm

W & C's comp structure is not just an acceleration of biglaw salaries. So your assumptions about where you'd be is incorrect.

achilles42

New

Post by achilles42 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:00 am

Can you be more specific? I am sure you are right--but can you enlighten us? If the payscale is not 180-195-210 (with no bonuses), which I was led to believe (from reading ATL or some other website), then what is the payscale? Do you have any info on bonuses?

Thanks!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:54 pm

Hi all,

I would like to know if anyone here has knowledge (from your own experience, those of your friends, or stated firm policies) about whether clerkship bonuses are ever offered for mid-level state appellate clerkships. I have noted the many law firms (see above cites) that mention Article III, state's highest courts, and Canadian appellate clerkships. But many of those posted policies also state that outside of those categories, any bonuses are considered on a CBC basis. Moreover, a friend or two of mine have told me that they heard the same thing. hence my question.

I am in the first year of what will be two years on a mid-level appellate court in a Eastern seaboard state. I won't be leaving this position until late August 2016, but when I do I hope to use connections to land an associate position, preferably as a second-year, at a so-called Big Law firm near the DC area. Wondered whether anyone has had a similar experience, or knows someone who has had the same.

My best guess is I wouldnt get one, but that maybe in the course of salary negotiating (after any offer), I could maybe leverage $15K or so out of it.

Tx.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:09 pm

Anyone know of Akin Gump's policy?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:48 am

Any firms bump up their clerkship bonuses for 1.5 years of clerking (as opposed to what it would be for just one year)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any firms bump up their clerkship bonuses for 1.5 years of clerking (as opposed to what it would be for just one year)?
I've never heard of that. Nor have I heard of anyone getting a higher bonus for even a two-year clerkship. As far as I am aware, firms only offer a bump for two different clerkships. And that's only some firms.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”