Let's Talk 10th Circuit! Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Let's Talk 10th Circuit!

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Re: Holmes- have heard from reliable sources that he's very difficult. Extremely formal and stiff.
Heard the same thing re: formal and stiff, but haven't heard that he's a difficult boss in the typical ways--i.e., he's not unpleasant, rude, condescending. Any info to the contrary?
I haven't heard those particular words used by people who've worked for him. I have heard them used by people who used to be colleagues of his before he became a judge.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:39 pm

Has anyone been invited, or heard about others being invited, to interview with McHugh for her 16-17 spot?

thisismyname

New

Post by thisismyname » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:54 am

Wondering if anyone who has interviewed and/or been hired by any judge within the 10th circuit (also interested in district court clerkships) is willing to give some information as to your class rank, ties to the state, and prior legal experience. It's not necessary getting the name of the judge - I just want some general statistics. I'm looking into going back to my home state and thinking about pivoting out from my firm job into a clerkship. Any information will be helpful!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:55 am

thisismyname wrote:Wondering if anyone who has interviewed and/or been hired by any judge within the 10th circuit (also interested in district court clerkships) is willing to give some information as to your class rank, ties to the state, and prior legal experience. It's not necessary getting the name of the judge - I just want some general statistics. I'm looking into going back to my home state and thinking about pivoting out from my firm job into a clerkship. Any information will be helpful!
I'm clerking for a 10th Circuit judge in 2016-2017. Single-digit rank from a strong regional school. The judge sits in my home state, which is not where I went to law school. I will have been in private practice for two years at the start of the term, and, like you, I'll probably use this as a pivot.

thisismyname

New

Post by thisismyname » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
thisismyname wrote:Wondering if anyone who has interviewed and/or been hired by any judge within the 10th circuit (also interested in district court clerkships) is willing to give some information as to your class rank, ties to the state, and prior legal experience. It's not necessary getting the name of the judge - I just want some general statistics. I'm looking into going back to my home state and thinking about pivoting out from my firm job into a clerkship. Any information will be helpful!
I'm clerking for a 10th Circuit judge in 2016-2017. Single-digit rank from a strong regional school. The judge sits in my home state, which is not where I went to law school. I will have been in private practice for two years at the start of the term, and, like you, I'll probably use this as a pivot.
Thank you very much. This is super helpful. Would you be willing to answer a few more questions through PM? Totally cool if not, but you seem to be in an identical situation and I just want to make sure I set myself up well for doing what you have done.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:27 pm

thisismyname wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Thank you very much. This is super helpful. Would you be willing to answer a few more questions through PM? Totally cool if not, but you seem to be in an identical situation and I just want to make sure I set myself up well for doing what you have done.
Sure thing.

Jchance

Silver

Post by Jchance » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:56 pm

tag

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:13 am

Wondering if anyone who has interviewed and/or been hired by any judge within the 10th circuit (also interested in district court clerkships) is willing to give some information as to your class rank, ties to the state, and prior legal experience. It's not necessary getting the name of the judge - I just want some general statistics. I'm looking into going back to my home state and thinking about pivoting out from my firm job into a clerkship. Any information will be helpful!
Two upcoming interviews on the 10th. T14-20, top 5%, law review, moot court champ, 6 years of work experience between UG and law school.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Two upcoming interviews on the 10th. T14-20, top 5%, law review, moot court champ, 6 years of work experience between UG and law school.
Good luck with your interviews!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:30 pm

Has anyone heard from Matheson for 2019-2020, or heard of interviews?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:49 pm

Dude only accepts paper applications. Probably also communicates exclusively via smoke signals. I've heard he typically hires during the summer, though.

gchatbrah

Bronze

Post by gchatbrah » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from Matheson for 2019-2020, or heard of interviews?
I heard you didn't make it past the first cut. Sorry, brah.

User has been outed for anon abuse. Don't be a dick.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:51 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gchatbrah

Bronze

Post by gchatbrah » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:54 pm

Anyone heard from Gorsuch yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:58 pm

Does anyone know what Phillips' hiring process looks like? In terms of timeline and what kind of applicants he prefers

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:01 am

Any thoughts on who will replace Gorsuch?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:45 am

Very likely Allison Eid.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:26 am

It's not guaranteed that gorsuch's seat will be filled. The tenth circuit's caseload is down.

On the other hand, one judge is taking senior status soon, so there should be at least one seat available. Not in colorado, though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:Very likely Allison Eid.
If they want even younger than Justice Eid, they could also pick Yarger, who's the state SG. Pretty sure he's in his mid-to-late 30s. But I agree it's pretty likely Justice Eid -- which correspondingly gives Gov. Hickenlooper a chance to make yet another appointment to the COSC and replace by far the most conservative justice there with a moderate liberal.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:It's not guaranteed that gorsuch's seat will be filled. The tenth circuit's caseload is down.

On the other hand, one judge is taking senior status soon, so there should be at least one seat available. Not in colorado, though.
I get that the judicial conference requested that the seat not be filled, but Leonard Leo talked about having a vacancy on the 10th once Gorsuch was confirmed, so it sounds like the intention is to fill the seat (http://www.hughhewitt.com/leonard-leo-p ... ominations). He also specifically mentioned Eid for the seat. And, as moderate as the 10th is, I'd be surprised if they gave up the chance to elevate a bright younger judge, particularly when many of the GOP nominees on the circuit are getting older.

wwwcol

Bronze

Post by wwwcol » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any thoughts on who will replace Gorsuch?
Out of curiosity, what is the strategy here? Are you going to apply to the people rumored (on TLS) to be in the running in the off chance you might walk into an AIII clerkship?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:45 pm

As far as Eid and Lee clerks, they pretty much all have CoA clerkships already, so I don't think that's a huge motivation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:23 pm

I got 3 10th circuit interviews for the term starting a year after graduation. Those interviews came during 2L summer and 3L fall. I had top 5% grades at a lower t14, secondary journal, published note, a district court clerkship for the year before, strong extras (work experience, internships, LORs, etc), and no ties to the area but an articulable reason I wanted to be there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:09 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:23 am

Any word on Matheson's timeline? Also, any insights in terms of what it's like to clerk for him?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”