Let's Talk 9th Circuit! Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Let's Talk 9th Circuit!

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:00 pm

Friedland is all full for 2015. I got an email from her a week or two ago.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:09 pm

Any info on the profile of the Reinhardt hire?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any info on the profile of the Reinhardt hire?
Said she went to stanford, I'd rather not say more for that person's privacy

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:17 pm

jbagelboy wrote:met an incoming 2L at a club in WeHo last night who claimed she just accepted a 2016-17 spot with Reinhardt. Let the games begin
Reinhardt is just one of several 9th Cir judges who are already interviewing for 2016.

For the person who asked for the profile of the Reinhardt hire, I can't speak to this particular hire but Reinhardt generally hires folks who are at the very top of the class from the top handful of schools and have solid liberal credentials.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:22 pm

Any sense of Judge Fletcher's hiring timeline? Does he hire 2Ls before fall grades? Also, is he as selective as Kozinski, Watford, etc? I assume so, given his SCOTUS track record. Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any sense of Judge Fletcher's hiring timeline? Does he hire 2Ls before fall grades? Also, is he as selective as Kozinski, Watford, etc? I assume so, given his SCOTUS track record. Thanks.
He has 2016 positions posted on Oscar, so I think he'll be hiring rising 2Ls now. Grades wise, he's reputed to be one of the most selective 9th Circuit judges.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any sense of Judge Fletcher's hiring timeline? Does he hire 2Ls before fall grades? Also, is he as selective as Kozinski, Watford, etc? I assume so, given his SCOTUS track record. Thanks.
You should apply immediately.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:46 am

Based on hires from my school in the last three years, I'd probably rank Fletcher as "more" selective than Kozinski (and definitely moreso than Watford). Small sample size, though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:00 pm

Anyone heard about McKeown? Has she hired any clerks for 2015 yet and does anyone know when she typically conducts interviews?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard about McKeown? Has she hired any clerks for 2015 yet and does anyone know when she typically conducts interviews?
She has hired at least one for 2015. Don't know whether she's finished.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:47 pm

I think Fletcher has only ever even interviewed one person from my (lower) T14. S/he was #1 in our class.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think Fletcher has only ever even interviewed one person from my (lower) T14. S/he was #1 in our class.
He's full for 2016.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:04 pm

Farris is interviewing now.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:54 pm

thelawyerguy wrote:I'm not the anonymous who asked the question, but I'm in a similar boat - I'm approximately top 15-20% at a T10 and will be clerking in CDCA/NDCA. Do I have any shot a 9th circuit judge after my district court clerkship? Feel free to pm me.
As a former Ninth Circuit clerk, I can say there are plenty of former C.D. Cal. clerks that do end up clerking for Ninth Circuit judges, although I don't know their grade profiles. I'd imagine your best shot is to have your district judge call and recommend you to a Ninth Circuit judge they know well--that type of direct recommendation can get you on the radar and maybe even over the top. Focus on acing your district court clerkship and hopefully your grades will matter far less.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know anything about what Wardlaw is like to work for?
Wardlaw is a very well-respected Judge and would be a great clerkship to land, although she is supposed to be on the tougher side as far as hours and rapport with her clerks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
thelawyerguy wrote:I'm not the anonymous who asked the question, but I'm in a similar boat - I'm approximately top 15-20% at a T10 and will be clerking in CDCA/NDCA. Do I have any shot a 9th circuit judge after my district court clerkship? Feel free to pm me.
As a former Ninth Circuit clerk, I can say there are plenty of former C.D. Cal. clerks that do end up clerking for Ninth Circuit judges, although I don't know their grade profiles. I'd imagine your best shot is to have your district judge call and recommend you to a Ninth Circuit judge they know well--that type of direct recommendation can get you on the radar and maybe even over the top. Focus on acing your district court clerkship and hopefully your grades will matter far less.
For my Ninth Circuit judge, the D.Ct clerkship won't really do anything to boost your chances. If you don't have the grades then that is essentially that. But the same might not be true for other judges.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
For my Ninth Circuit judge, the D.Ct clerkship won't really do anything to boost your chances. If you don't have the grades then that is essentially that. But the same might not be true for other judges.
D. Ct. (within the 9th) clerk here. Bummed to hear that, but wanted to share that I know of a 9th Cir judge who almost exclusively hires former D. Ct. clerks. That judge apparently puts a lot of stock into D. Ct. judges' opinions of their clerks who they recommend.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:FYI, Bybee is finished for 2015-16.
He's a ultra-conservative jerk anyways! Supported waterboarding, failed to recuse himself from a VERY large case despite an obvious conflict of interest, and has no concern for people of color or discrimination issues. He's a lousy judge IMO.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:17 am

PDaddy wrote:
He's a ultra-conservative jerk anyways! Supported waterboarding, failed to recuse himself from a VERY large case despite an obvious conflict of interest, and has no concern for people of color or discrimination issues. He's a lousy judge IMO.
Nice. I was getting tired of helpful comments about the hiring patterns of Ninth Circuit judges. Instead, I was hoping that this thread would descend into the level of discourse you find in the comments section following Huntington Post articles. Your post is a step in the right direction.

olive16

Bronze

Post by olive16 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:07 am

PDaddy wrote:
Uh...Maybe let's demonstrate some maturity in this tread.

Anyhow, back to legit Qs/comments. Are any judges (aside from Fletcher) full for 16-17? Is interviewing/hiring for 16-17 just starting to heat up, or is it already in full swing? Just hope I haven't missed the boat.

Citizen Genet

Silver

Post by Citizen Genet » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:13 am

PDaddy wrote:
Sigh. To avoid this from derailing, just read the last topic where pdaddy brought out these ridiculous arguments. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&start=48

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
D. Ct. (within the 9th) clerk here. Bummed to hear that, but wanted to share that I know of a 9th Cir judge who almost exclusively hires former D. Ct. clerks. That judge apparently puts a lot of stock into D. Ct. judges' opinions of their clerks who they recommend.
Sorry. I probably exaggerated a little, though. My judge has a huge amount of respect for D.Ct judges and the work they do. And all other things being equal we'd likely take a D.Ct clerk over someone fresh out of law school. But the fact that someone is coming off a D.Ct clerkship won't ever bump someone who wouldn't otherwise be qualified grades-wise or whatever into contention for a job, no matter how great a recommendation they have from their judge.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:15 pm

PDaddy wrote:
I might not agree with Judge Bybee's politics, but from everything I've seen of him during my clerkship he is a very smart and careful judge. His clerks love him.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:16 pm

Wait, are people taking PDaddy seriously these days?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:10 pm

Is anyone aware of 9th Cir. judges who do like/prefer clerks with district clerkship experience, and if that experience could mitigate relatively poorer grades?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”