Let's Talk 9th Circuit! Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Let's Talk 9th Circuit!

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:23 pm

Anyone know what McKeown's hiring practices (timing, etc.) are like?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:52 pm

I recently got a ding letter from Christian.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:35 pm

Does anyone have any info on Judge Jacqueline H. Nguyen? She is no longer accepting applications for the 2019-20 term. Wondering if anyone got dings or interviews. Thanks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:47 am

How can I find information on which judges prefer work experience? I have two years of biglaw and a district court clerkship. I've checked OSCAR for info on individual judges, but is there a more efficient way to figure this out?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know what McKeown's hiring practices (timing, etc.) are like?
bump.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HeedMyWarning

New

Post by HeedMyWarning » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:How can I find information on which judges prefer work experience? I have two years of biglaw and a district court clerkship. I've checked OSCAR for info on individual judges, but is there a more efficient way to figure this out?
OSCAR is the most efficient way. Otherwise, you could google former clerks and see if they had work experience when they started the clerkship. Regardless, you should apply broadly; experience is almost always a plus with judges.

radio1nowhere

Bronze

Post by radio1nowhere » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:43 pm

HeedMyWarning wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How can I find information on which judges prefer work experience? I have two years of biglaw and a district court clerkship. I've checked OSCAR for info on individual judges, but is there a more efficient way to figure this out?
OSCAR is the most efficient way. Otherwise, you could google former clerks and see if they had work experience when they started the clerkship. Regardless, you should apply broadly; experience is almost always a plus with judges.
Yeah I can't imagine a reason to apply specifically to judges who prefer work experience — just apply to the judges you'd be interested in working for. Would you apply to a judge you don't want to work for just because they prefer work experience? Would you skip applying to a judge you want to work for just because they don't have a preference for work experience? Hopefully the answer to both of these is no..

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:44 pm

Does anyone know if Paez has started moving or when he will start?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:15 pm

radio1nowhere wrote:
HeedMyWarning wrote:
Yeah I can't imagine a reason to apply specifically to judges who prefer work experience — just apply to the judges you'd be interested in working for. Would you apply to a judge you don't want to work for just because they prefer work experience? Would you skip applying to a judge you want to work for just because they don't have a preference for work experience? Hopefully the answer to both of these is no..
OP here. This makes sense, especially since it is only one circuit. Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know what McKeown's hiring practices (timing, etc.) are like?
bump.
Her app is open
She tends to hire several years ahead so i wouldnt be too surprised if she's looking at 2020 already
She prefers work exp

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:39 pm

lolwat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
bump.
Her app is open
She tends to hire several years ahead so i wouldnt be too surprised if she's looking at 2020 already
She prefers work exp
She is. She is hiring for 19 and 20.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if Paez has started moving or when he will start?
Bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lolwat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
bump.
Her app is open
She prefers work exp
She is. She is hiring for 19 and 20.
Anyone get a bite yet?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:04 pm

Any updates on Hurwitz, Hawkins, Murguia?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any updates on Hurwitz, Hawkins, Murguia?
Bumpity bump bump...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Bumpity bump bump...
You sure you want to clerk for Murguia?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Bumpity bump bump...
Whoa, I’ve read on here about the odd hours in chambers, but what else is there to know? Haven’t seen any red flags otherwise :shock:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Bumpity bump bump...
Whoa, I’ve read on here about the odd hours in chambers, but what else is there to know? Haven’t seen any red flags otherwise :shock:
I’m also curious what there is to know about Murguia (I’m not the same anon who raised the red flag). One thing to consider if you’re applying to her for 2021-22 (or later) is that she’s going to become Chief Judge in December 2021. That will mean she’ll get a 5th clerk, but also a quite a bit more work. The 9th is unique in that the Chief is the only judge who sits on every en banc panel (along with 10 randomly selected judges out of the other 28 actives). So while an average judge might be on 2 en bancs a quarter, the Chief will be on 5 or 6. En bancs can really pile onto the workload.

None if this is a reason not to clerk for a Chief—Sidney Thomas is inarguably one of the best people to clerk for on the 9th right now even if his clerks are probably busier than most. It’s just another factor to consider.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Bumpity bump bump...
I don't know anybody who clerked for her, so I cant comment about her chambers dynamics (she seems nice enough). But when I was clerking she seemed to really struggle to manage her caseload, and her chambers was very slow to get things out. Unless that was just a one-off bad year for her chambers, I cant imagine what it will be like when she has to sit on every en banc panel and take on all the administrative work that goes along with being the chief.

Edit: Different anon from the one who raised the red flag^

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Bumpity bump bump...
I don't know anybody who clerked for her, so I cant comment about her chambers dynamics (she seems nice enough). But when I was clerking she seemed to really struggle to manage her caseload, and her chambers was very slow to get things out. Unless that was just a one-off bad year for her chambers, I cant imagine what it will be like when she has to sit on every en banc panel and take on all the administrative work that goes along with being the chief.

Anon above you (the one who first mentioned that Murguia will have more work when she's Chief) and I can second the perception from the outside that her chambers move verry verrrrry slowly. That alone isn't reason not to clerk for her--a slow-moving judge is more of an inconvenience to the judges they sit with (some judges are known to take months to respond to fairly simple proposals) than to his or her own clerks. But sometimes this is also indicative of a disorganized, poorly-managed chambers. I don't know enough about Murguia to say whether that's true of her. I've never met one of her clerks and in the limited interaction I've had with her she's seemed very pleasant.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Bumpity bump bump...

Anon above you (the one who first mentioned that Murguia will have more work when she's Chief) and I can second the perception from the outside that her chambers move verry verrrrry slowly. That alone isn't reason not to clerk for her--a slow-moving judge is more of an inconvenience to the judges they sit with (some judges are known to take months to respond to fairly simple proposals) than to his or her own clerks. But sometimes this is also indicative of a disorganized, poorly-managed chambers. I don't know enough about Murguia to say whether that's true of her. I've never met one of her clerks and in the limited interaction I've had with her she's seemed very pleasant.
Re: Murguia, her clerks are known to work Kozinski-like hours because of her bizarre method of managing chambers. In short, her clerks do a lot of busy work that requires them to be in the office way longer than is reasonable. And while i agree she's a nice enough person, I've heard a few anecdotes that demonstrate she's not the most understanding or pleasant boss. I also agree with the poster above who said these problems are likely to get worse once she becomes Chief.

Take this all with a grain of salt, of course, but she wouldnt be my top pick for a ninth circuit clerkship.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:21 am

I heard Rawlinson held interviews. Any decisions?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:59 am

Rawlinson is done hiring for '19.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:Rawlinson is done hiring for '19.
You're certain? I have heard otherwise.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Rawlinson is done hiring for '19.
You're certain? I have heard otherwise.
Man, does Rawlinson move slowly at everything. For comparison’s sake my judge finished hiring for ‘20 many months ago, and s/he is not known as an early hirer. Even Wallace, who when I was applying was one of the latest movers, is well into his ‘20 hiring (he may even be full now).

(This fits with the Murguia discussion upthread...she and Rawlinson are both known to take months to concur in opinions, etc.)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”