Let's Talk 9th Circuit! Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Let's Talk 9th Circuit!

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know anything about Judge Rawlinson in Las Vegas? Someone from my school clerked for her a couple of years ago and quick Google search shows that her clerks are all over the board w/r/t schools and preftige.
The back story from people I know that know her is that she felt like she wasn't given opportunities when she was a young attorney, so she goes out of her way to give opportunities to nontraditional applicants. She was like the second black person (or maybe black female) to be admitted to the bar in Nevada, or something incredible like that. She had a solid resume for Las Vegas, but couldn't get a job anywhere. She likes work experience.

She's a former ADA, so she tends to be more conservative than her Clinton appointment would suggest.

Her clerks would write incredibly short bench memos. I'm a big proponent of short bench memos, but these would be like 6 pages and would often leave out huge and important swaths of information.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:56 pm

Does anyone know if N.R. Smith is accepting applications? Anyone have any info our background on N.R.?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:52 am

Does anyone know if Watford has hired for 2017-18? I heard he tended to hire in the early fall.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if Watford has hired for 2017-18? I heard he tended to hire in the early fall.
Watford finished hiring for 2017-18 a few months ago.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Does anyone know if Watford has hired for 2017-18? I heard he tended to hire in the early fall.

Watford finished hiring for 2017-18 a few months ago.
Damn, I guess he has joined the feeders hiring straight out of the gate in the beginning of the summer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:43 pm

Does anyone have any info on how Hurwitz runs his chambers? Personality/hours/etc? My school hasn't sent anyone to him, so I don't have an alum contact.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any info on how Hurwitz runs his chambers? Personality/hours/etc? My school hasn't sent anyone to him, so I don't have an alum contact.
No idea about those details, but he seems like a great guy. Smart, personable, pretty funny and charming on the bench.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any info on how Hurwitz runs his chambers? Personality/hours/etc? My school hasn't sent anyone to him, so I don't have an alum contact.
No idea about those details, but he seems like a great guy. Smart, personable, pretty funny and charming on the bench.
Did you get an interview? Is he moving?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Did you get an interview? Is he moving?
He's been moving for at least a month. Supposed to be great to work for, but the hours (like many/most 9th Circuit clerkships) will be long.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:46 pm

Anyone here want to shed some light on how the heck Judge Paez filled all his 17-18 spots in less than two weeks?!

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone here want to shed some light on how the heck Judge Paez filled all his 17-18 spots in less than two weeks?!
Uh, I don't have any specific information on Judge Paez, but it would obviously be very easy for any circuit judge to fill all their spots in two weeks (or even less) if they wanted to. Why do you find it so mystifying?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:47 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone here want to shed some light on how the heck Judge Paez filled all his 17-18 spots in less than two weeks?!
Uh, I don't have any specific information on Judge Paez, but it would obviously be very easy for any circuit judge to fill all their spots in two weeks (or even less) if they wanted to. Why do you find it so mystifying?
I would think that an honest review of applications, extending interview invitations, conducting interviews, etc. would take at least a month, but maybe I'm off. Unless the judge has his list already written before "officially" opening oscar.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
I would think that an honest review of applications, extending interview invitations, conducting interviews, etc. would take at least a month, but maybe I'm off. Unless the judge has his list already written before "officially" opening oscar.
Hahaha "honest review". What do you think this process is? Sure, some judges do methodically look through all/most applications, but many (if not most) do not. Assuming he didn't already have people in mind from connections, he very well may have told his clerks to call the first 10 people in who are from top 5 schools and have top 10% ish grades. I don't know if that's what he did at all, but to generally believe all judges give an "honest review" to applications is overstating the process

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Nope. It's easy to go from start to finish of the hiring process in a couple weeks if you don't mind asking people to book last minute flights.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
I'm clerking for a DJ in a not-so-desirable city. I applied within 10 minutes of getting the OSCAR posting email. Within an hour, I had my first interview. A week later, I interviewed with the judge who gave me an offer on the spot. The only reason it took a week was because the judge was in trial all week.

To be fair, though, it was for an immediate replacement, not 2 years away.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Hahaha "honest review". What do you think this process is? Sure, some judges do methodically look through all/most applications, but many (if not most) do not. Assuming he didn't already have people in mind from connections, he very well may have told his clerks to call the first 10 people in who are from top 5 schools and have top 10% ish grades. I don't know if that's what he did at all, but to generally believe all judges give an "honest review" to applications is overstating the process
Also the use of "honest" sort of confuses me. It implies it's dishonest for the judge to expedite (or at least not want to waste his or her time on) the hiring process. But the judge can handle hiring however he or she wants; as an applicant it's your job to keep on top of openings.

My judge did basically the same as described above. OSCAR post on Monday, told clerks to sort through all applications received by Thurs COB and to select the top 10 candidates for interviews to be conducted the next week. Nothing wrong with moving quickly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:58 pm

Who on the 9th is still hiring for 2017-18? It looks like the entire circuit is basically done except for Clifton

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:46 pm

My friend just got an interview with Kleinfeld for 2017-18.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:06 pm

STATUS OF THE NINTH

Bea: Status unknown
Berzon: Actively interviewing
Bybee: Status unknown
Callahan: Not hiring
Christen: Couple of spots left
Clifton: Not hiring until the summer
Fisher: Actively interviewing
Fletcher: Done
Friedland: Done
Gould: Actively interviewing
Graber: Actively interviewing
Hawkins: Interviewing
Ikuta: Done
Kleinfeld: Interviewing
Kozinski: Kozinski
McKeown: Done
Murguia: Actively interviewing
Nelson: Not hiring
Nguyen: Status unknown
Noonan: Done
Owens: Done
Paez: Done
Rawlinson: Status unknown
Reinhardt: Done
Smith: Done
Tallman: Done
Tashima: Actively interviewing
Thomas: Not hiring
Wallace: Not hiring
Wardlaw: Done
Watford: Done

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:10 pm

Rawlinson hires super late. Like April or May IIRC.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:31 pm

Where did you hear that Tashima was actively interviewing? I don't believe that's right.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:48 pm

Emma. wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Nope. It's easy to go from start to finish of the hiring process in a couple weeks if you don't mind asking people to book last minute flights.
Agreed. My chambers stretched the process out a lot further, but I think we could have pretty easily done everything in ~10 days--and I think we were more thorough than your average chambers. Although we got hundreds (thousands?) of very impressive applications, it was pretty easy to winnow the field down to the couple dozen top applicants--even in an elite pool, the strongest applicants still generally shine. Getting from ~40 to ~8 is a little tougher, but even when you factor in the Judge's occasional calls to references (and occasional calls from references or contacts), I don't think this step took more than a couple hours in total -- 10 at most (e.g., three morning's worth of work). And if Judge Paez's chambers devotes about 1-1.5 hours/candidate for interviews (a pretty standard amount), they could take care of interviews for their top 5-8 candidates over the span of a day or two. Now, I'm betting that Judge Paez's chambers probably didn't get enormous amounts of other work done during the period that they were hiring -- but that's a totally reasonable hiring time span.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:24 pm

Does anyone know what Callahan's hiring schedule is? I have a friend that's interested in applying.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:42 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:38 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:Does anyone know what Callahan's hiring schedule is? I have a friend that's interested in applying.
She hires relatively shortly before clerks are supposed to start. At least she did when my friend interviewed with her - I think it was 3 or 4 months before the anticipated start date. Also, unsolicited info on her hiring practices: she hires people with multiple years of experience and strongly prefers prior clerkship experience. My friend had almost 5 years of experience and she hired someone with close to 10 instead. Seemed to be pretty standard typical based on her then-current clerks.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”