pointers for applicants from current clerk looking to hire Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: pointers for applicants from current clerk looking to hire

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:13 pm

Jessuf wrote:Should I write handwritten thank you notes?
Yes. While they can't hurt, not writing one can absolutely hurt.

My judge once made a decision between two candidates based on one writing a thank you and the other one not. Obviously this was a strange situation, but it takes a minute to do it, so there's no good reason not to.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Jessuf wrote:Should I write handwritten thank you notes?
Yes. While they can't hurt, not writing one can absolutely hurt.

My judge once made a decision between two candidates based on one writing a thank you and the other one not. Obviously this was a strange situation, but it takes a minute to do it, so there's no good reason not to.
And write one to everyone you meet...judge, clerks, and judicial assistant.

jess

Post by jess » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:39 pm

Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:32 pm

Depends on the judge - lots will stick to the usual "tell me about yourself, why law school, what do you want to do after this" kind of conversation. You'll possibly/probably also get questions about how you would handle a situation in which the judge wants to rule one way and you think it should go another. You might get asked about your writing experience/what makes a good writer/what makes you a good writer, and how well you work with others. There are some judges who treat the interview like an oral exam - I had a friend get grilled about every argument in his LR note (and I think in a seminar paper), so know your resume inside and out, and there are stories of getting asked things like "what's your favorite/least favorite Supreme Court case." But I think they are a minority. The best thing is to find someone who's clerked for/interviewed with the judge who can tip you off to their style, but I know that's not always possible.

jess

Post by jess » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:42 pm

Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:01 am

Good luck!

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:19 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:You'll possibly/probably also get questions about how you would handle a situation in which the judge wants to rule one way and you think it should go another.
What's the right answer to this question? What are the judges looking for?

ClerkAdvisor

Bronze

Post by ClerkAdvisor » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:57 pm

andythefir wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:You'll possibly/probably also get questions about how you would handle a situation in which the judge wants to rule one way and you think it should go another.
This is an instance where there really is one correct answer: you make your best case to the judge, and if she still disagrees, then you write the opinion/order however the judge wants it. Only one person in chambers has a commission, and she gets to make the final decision.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:07 pm

ClerkAdvisor wrote:
andythefir wrote:
This is an instance where there really is one correct answer: you make your best case to the judge, and if she still disagrees, then you write the opinion/order however the judge wants it. Only one person in chambers has a commission, and she gets to make the final decision.
This is true. FWIW, though, every time something like this has come up with judges, they have said that they want a clerk who will push back and challenge them on their thinking. So for the purpose of an interview, I think judges want to make sure you are capable of thinking for yourself and having confidence in your opinion/reasoning (though at the same time you recognize that the judge has the final say).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:49 pm

During my interview, I told the judge that I would speak my mind in a well-reasoned, rational way (after I've done my own independent research and review of the law). After discussing our viewpoints, if the judge still disagrees with me,t hen I would defer to his judgment because it's ultimately the Honorable John/Jane Smith, not the Honorable Me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:50 pm

Not the OP, but in a similar situation. My most basic advice is please, for the love of god, follow the (simple) instructions in the judge's OSCAR posting. E.g. If it says to submit your app as a single PDF file, don't send your resume, transcript, writing sample etc all as separate attachments. :x

Leo

Bronze

Post by Leo » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:17 am

Will a recommendation letter from a clinical professor carry less weight than one from a regular professor?

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:46 am

Leo wrote:Will a recommendation letter from a clinical professor carry less weight than one from a regular professor?
Not with any judge I've worked for - whether they can say positive, specific things about you is much more important than the type of class they had you in, so if the prof best able to do that is a clinical prof, I'd say go ahead. (Of course, the more intensive the class was and the more types of work you did, the more a recommender will likely be able to say about you, but that's kind of a separate issue from the prof's title alone.)

This thread is more active if you want to put the question to people there: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&t=146252

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:01 pm

mjb447 wrote:
Leo wrote:Will a recommendation letter from a clinical professor carry less weight than one from a regular professor?
Not with any judge I've worked for - whether they can say positive, specific things about you is much more important than the type of class they had you in, so if the prof best able to do that is a clinical prof, I'd say go ahead. (Of course, the more intensive the class was and the more types of work you did, the more a recommender will likely be able to say about you, but that's kind of a separate issue from the prof's title alone.)

This thread is more active if you want to put the question to people there: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&t=146252
IMO clinical profs usually write better recommendations because you actually work more closely with that prof on your stuff.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”