Temporary Clerkships (Short Term) Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Adikus

New

Temporary Clerkships (Short Term)

Post by Adikus » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:24 am

I have seen a few temporary clerkships posted, or more specifically short term temporary clerkships. My question is are these a good stepping stone for someone in the lower category, or are these viewed as positions only dregs who can not manage to acquire a regular clerkship take, thereby making you less attractive in the long run?

I am assuming that like any opportunity you get what you put into it, and surely you will learn something, but I don't wont to bork up my resume if these are not viewed well. As I am not fresh out of law school, I am looking at this from a long term career builder or career transition not just to get me by or to pad my resume.

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:28 am

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

legalese_retard

Bronze

Re: Temporary Clerkships (Short Term)

Post by legalese_retard » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:10 pm

Adikus wrote:I have seen a few temporary clerkships posted, or more specifically short term temporary clerkships. My question is are these a good stepping stone for someone in the lower category, or are these viewed as positions only dregs who can not manage to acquire a regular clerkship take, thereby making you less attractive in the long run?

I am assuming that like any opportunity you get what you put into it, and surely you will learn something, but I don't wont to bork up my resume if these are not viewed well. As I am not fresh out of law school, I am looking at this from a long term career builder or career transition not just to get me by or to pad my resume.
How short are we talking? If it is less than 4 months, it might not be worth it, as you won't get that much experience. Plus, the judge is probably looking for a person who has clerked before. A longer clerkship would be worth it if clerking is something you have always wanted to do, but it ultimately depends on where you are right now and where you want to go. Ideally, you would get this clerkship and then try to use that experience to apply for a regular clerkship - even if it is not with the same judge.

Adikus

New

Re: Temporary Clerkships (Short Term)

Post by Adikus » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:29 pm

Currently, I would be leaving practicing family law for the state for the benefit of children, which is a fancy way of saying child support enforcement. Prior to that I have a few years of criminal prosecution. After a clerkship I would like to go to work at the USAO, or practice federal law in some capacity. However, the main purpose is to expand my knowledge and horizons.

As for length I have seen a couple recently which are about 3m long, which I wasn't sure if in this economy was the try it before you buy it plan, or just some projects jobs that would not result in anything long term or any meaningful experience.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”