References and Rcommendations Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

References and Rcommendations

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:59 am

On Oscar, if a judge lists that he wants 2 letters and 2 references, are the references meant to be different people than the people who write you letters?

brassmonkey7

New

Re: References and Rcommendations

Post by brassmonkey7 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:00 pm

FWIW, I applied to a judge with a posting like that and gave two recommendations through OSCAR, and then in the references box wrote something like, "In addition to the professors who wrote my letters of recommendations, I offer the following two professors as additional references." I got an interview. I can't really say that my choice to give separate people as references helped but judges can be anal about following directions so better safe than sorry is my view.

johndhi

Bronze

Post by johndhi » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:05 pm

No idea. I've been using the same people as are sending the letters, but providing additional contact info (an email on top of the phone number already included).

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:51 pm

I don't know for certain, but I would think references would be different from letter-writers. First, pretty much every letter writer is going to include contact info and say, contact me if you have any questions, so giving them as a reference is redundant. Second, asking for both gives judges more people to talk to without making you get letters from EVERYONE. But I think it also reflects that judges often don't like to write actual letters, for fear of looking like they're abusing their position, but will serve as references, .

(But this is just a gut reaction.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”