Chances? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Chances?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:02 am

Hey all,

Curious about my chances in applying for some D.Ct clerkships. T-50, just graduated, top 15% (screwed myself 1st semester 1L year, been a top 7-8% student since), Editor-in-Chief of #2 journal (well-respected nationally), published author (x2). Externed for a COA judge 1L summer and should have some solid recs from COA Head of Attorneys, and a couple of profs (including a former SCOTUS clerk). Extra note is a personal close friendship with a magistrate in C.D. CA who I'm sure would advocate on my behalf.

Any shot at an Aiii D.Ct. clerkship? I'm thinking that I don't have much of a shot with OSCAR, but maybe through the magistrate I know.

Applying for 2014 remainders or 2015.

Thanks all. Any and all comments are appreciated, even if it is "no chance. not worth the application."

Anonymous User

Re: Chances?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:43 am

Have you considered trying to clerk for the magistrate first?

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:48 am

Top 15% at a T50 is not good.

However, seems like you have a lot else going on. What you're going to need is some of those connections to CALL or go talk to people for you. For example, if magistrate judge in CDCA goes and talks to some of the DCT judge he/she probably knows, maybe you get some looks. Outside of that, likely not.

Still, lots of unknowns/not enough info in your post--geographic ties/where you're looking in particular.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:03 pm

OP here:

To the anon responder: I've thought about it, but I don't think it would be right to work for him and I'm not necessarily sure the working relationship would be great given our family friendship. Maybe for another magistrate, but probably not him specifically.

To lolwat: That was my most likely plan given that both the magistrate and head of staff attorneys for one of the COAs know so many judges.

In response to your other inquiries: Strong geographic ties to all of California and NYC. Given that these are probably two of the most competitive areas in the country (outside of DC), I'm not feeling hugely confident. No real other major geographical ties per se, but I also wouldn't have a problem moving somewhere for a year to clerk, so I would also be happy to look at some smaller markets as well outside of my original geographic ties.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:45 pm

Some regional ties to CA might have some traction. Obviously, everyone wants to be in Cali and those judges can have their pick of high-end HYS kids every bit as much as SDNY and DDC can, but the ties might get you somewhere with some of the judges anyway.

Where's your T50 school? No problem not saying if it would out you given the other stats, but if it's NOT CA, looking within that region might get you somewhere too. Since you're planning on getting calls made I would do it very strategically -- your magistrate & staff attorney guy to judges they know personally, and your profs to, hopefully, other judges that THEY know personally. That way you get personal calls out to more judges that your recs have actual connections to.

What else . . . yeah, apply broadly, and probably outside of anywhere you have ties, target some flyover districts or particular judges that you have SOME connection to, regardless of what it is (same LS is the biggest +; same UG, that kind of stuff). Any judge that has hired from your school previously is likely to do so again... hmm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:46 pm

lolwat wrote:Some regional ties to CA might have some traction. Obviously, everyone wants to be in Cali and those judges can have their pick of high-end HYS kids every bit as much as SDNY and DDC can, but the ties might get you somewhere with some of the judges anyway.

Where's your T50 school? No problem not saying if it would out you given the other stats, but if it's NOT CA, looking within that region might get you somewhere too. Since you're planning on getting calls made I would do it very strategically -- your magistrate & staff attorney guy to judges they know personally, and your profs to, hopefully, other judges that THEY know personally. That way you get personal calls out to more judges that your recs have actual connections to.

What else . . . yeah, apply broadly, and probably outside of anywhere you have ties, target some flyover districts or particular judges that you have SOME connection to, regardless of what it is (same LS is the biggest +; same UG, that kind of stuff). Any judge that has hired from your school previously is likely to do so again... hmm.
All excellent advice. I mean, I don't really mind being "outed" per se, but I do prefer to have some anonymity (not that many people from my school would be looking here for federal clerkship app advice). Definitely going to play the "personal" card very heavily.

Thanks a lot.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”