Foregoing SA Firm Offer Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Foregoing SA Firm Offer

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:57 pm

I got clerkship paperwork from my judge, and one of the clerkship stipulations was that I can't have any "outstanding offers" from a law firm. I do have an outstanding offer to re-join my SA law firm after my clerkship.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I mean, I've already accepted the clerkship offer, so there's not much I can do. I'm V20 competitive, but I really do like my firm and would rather not have to look for another job after my clerkship.

Thanks.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grazzhoppa

Bronze

Re: Foregoing SA Firm Offer

Post by Grazzhoppa » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:00 pm

Nope. No experience in this.

JusticeJackson

Silver

Post by JusticeJackson » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:04 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Detrox

Bronze

Post by Detrox » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:11 pm

Most firms have a policy towards this. Some firms will "close" the offer with the understanding that a re-offer will be a formality upon the end of your clerkship, others will have you reapply anew at the end. I'd ask the firm as well as clarifying with the judge your situation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:49 pm

Thanks all. I chatted with someone at my firm and he told me that many clerks at the firm just maintain the offers they get at the end of the summer. However, it seems that I have to submit a formal resignation letter. The firm will apparently tacitly agree to let me return, but nothing will be in writing.

I am incredibly uncomfortable with this. Ugh.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JusticeJackson

Silver

Post by JusticeJackson » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:52 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:04 pm

JusticeJackson wrote:Chill man. Youre fine. This is how this works out for every person that clerks with a judge that requires clerks to turn down offers. The firm understands. The judge understands. You're good.
Echoed. Also, the clerk that I worked with when I was an intern had a "closed" offer from his firm, but he said he could basically go back if he wanted after he was done.

P.S. You may have meant "forgoing." =)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:48 am

This is such a well established practice that you really should have no worries -- with one caveat. It depends on your firm. The big V20 New York firms do this with such regularity that you should feel no worries. But is the firm you want to return to in a more regional market, with less formal practices? The single best thing to do in this situation would be to reach out to former law clerks currently at the firm and ask them what they did.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:This is such a well established practice that you really should have no worries -- with one caveat. It depends on your firm. The big V20 New York firms do this with such regularity that you should feel no worries. But is the firm you want to return to in a more regional market, with less formal practices? The single best thing to do in this situation would be to reach out to former law clerks currently at the firm and ask them what they did.
Thanks for pointing out the blatant spelling error; finals has fried my brain.

Yeah, the firm headquarters and my office are in very large markets. I'll def. reach out and ask around.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”