What have TLSers given clerkship recommenders? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

What have TLSers given clerkship recommenders?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:19 am

Hey TLSers,

I want to give my professor-recommenders a token of my appreciation for help in the clerkship hunt. I am not sure what traditionally is the norm for the gift. I don't want to give the same thing to each so I'm curious what others have done in the past.

Some sort of food/wine? Just a nice thank you card?

[for mods, I'd rather keep my post anonymous just because I am still applying to clerkships.]

Anonymous User

Re: What have TLSers given clerkship recommenders?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:07 pm

I gave one of my recommenders a DVD season of a TV show we had discussed and that I thought he would enjoy. I gave the others a nice ($40-ish) bottle of wine.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:21 pm

Um, I didn't give my recommenders anything. It's part of their job to do this stuff, and I feel weird giving people something for doing their job. I sent them thank you cards, though.

Citizen Genet

Silver

Post by Citizen Genet » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:50 pm

A thoughtful thank you note (rather than a cursory one) is more than sufficient. Anything beyond that isn't inappropriate, just unnecessary.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:27 pm

I made three batches of fudge that I split between my recommenders and their faculty assistants. No, I'm not joking.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:28 pm

Yeah, I didn't mean to suggest giving gifts is inappropriate - just unnecessary. If I were a prof I'd totally LOVE fudge. :D

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:35 pm

Just to be clear, I also don't think a thank you gift is necessary or expected. I just genuinely felt the urge, so I went for it. Don't feel compelled to bust out the candy cookbook.

-The Fudge Guy

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”