What is the value of Two consec. fed appellate clerkships ? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

What is the value of Two consec. fed appellate clerkships ?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:18 pm

So, for example, 11th Circuit >> 3rd Circuit.

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this? If one's going to clerk two years straight, it seems like it might be better in terms of broadening one's skillset to do it on two different levels (unless it's something like the D.C. Circuit which is ostensibly an "upgrade")

EDIT: For those who might search for this later, this thread had some valuable information, which makes sense.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... +#p6504956

Anonymous User

Re: What is the value of Two consec. fed appellate clerkships ?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:41 am

what's the end goal?

value depends on what you want in the end. diverse experience? time in 3d circuit? then great value

if you're looking for greater money, prestige, i don't know what value that would be...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:47 pm

I wonder whether a different circuit would really provide that much of a diverse experience. of course every judge is different and each circuit has slightly different dockets, but what you're asked to produce can't vary too much, right?

I would think a district court might present a larger diversity of experiences...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:56 pm

The most common double-CoA pairing I've seen is [X] Cir./D.C. Cir.

Because D.C. Cir. is seen as the most competitive of all the federal circuit courts, I guess some would say that it adds additional prestige (hate that word) to the ole' resume. Substantively, I think it's also a compelling choice for people who are set on admin law, government litigation, practicing in D.C., and the like. It also could be helpful, depending on the judge, if you're gunning for a SCOTUS clerkship.

As for something like 11th->3rd or 6th->9th or something like that, I guess it's really person-specific. I personally wouldn't want to do two COA clerkships just for the hell of it. But if my first clerkship was in a market that I wasn't interested in settling in, and then I received an interview for a clerkship I wanted "more" in an area I wanted "more," I could see the logic behind making that choice.

Otherwise, if you're going to clerk two years, my impression is that doing CoA and D.Ct. makes more sense. The two experiences will probably be much more different, meaning you'll probably learn more. But I'm just a 3L, so take all of this with a grain of salt.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The most common double-CoA pairing I've seen is [X] Cir./D.C. Cir.

Because D.C. Cir. is seen as the most competitive of all the federal circuit courts, I guess some would say that it adds additional prestige (hate that word) to the ole' resume. Substantively, I think it's also a compelling choice for people who are set on admin law, government litigation, practicing in D.C., and the like. It also could be helpful, depending on the judge, if you're gunning for a SCOTUS clerkship.
On a somewhat related note, does anyone have any experience/know anyone who has done Fed Cir. then D.C. Cir.? I have some interest in administrative law and appellate litigation in general, but I have IP credentials that make me think my best shot at an appellate clerkship out of law school would be with the Fed Cir. Would a D.C. Circuit judge be at all interested in hiring a former Fed Cir. clerk?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The most common double-CoA pairing I've seen is [X] Cir./D.C. Cir.

On a somewhat related note, does anyone have any experience/know anyone who has done Fed Cir. then D.C. Cir.? I have some interest in administrative law and appellate litigation in general, but I have IP credentials that make me think my best shot at an appellate clerkship out of law school would be with the Fed Cir. Would a D.C. Circuit judge be at all interested in hiring a former Fed Cir. clerk?
That depends entirely on your credentials...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:54 pm

As for something like 11th->3rd or 6th->9th or something like that, I guess it's really person-specific. I personally wouldn't want to do two COA clerkships just for the hell of it. But if my first clerkship was in a market that I wasn't interested in settling in, and then I received an interview for a clerkship I wanted "more" in an area I wanted "more," I could see the logic behind making that choice.

Otherwise, if you're going to clerk two years, my impression is that doing CoA and D.Ct. makes more sense. The two experiences will probably be much more different, meaning you'll probably learn more. But I'm just a 3L, so take all of this with a grain of salt.

This is OP.

This is essentially what my thoughts were. I'm a 2L now, so My plan is to try to get published, continue making good grades, and try to parlay the COA Clerkship I have now into a D.C. Cir. as a 3L

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”