Paper v. Online/Oscar Applications Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
emciosn

Bronze

Paper v. Online/Oscar Applications

Post by emciosn » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:53 pm

Hey all.

This question might be best for former clerks who have actually reviewed applications for their judge. I sent out a second round of applications earlier in the spring (I already have a clerkship lined up for 2013-2014). Last go-round I did about 80 paper applications and probably more OSCAR applications. I basically sent paper applications to only the judges who weren't on OSCAR. Of my 7 interviews, 6 came from paper-applications judges. Additionally, I spoke with three career clerks (I am interning for a judge this semester) who said that paper applications are better/more likely to actually be read. So, this has made me think that sending out paper applications is more effective.

I sent all paper applications this time around. But, I am seeing a few of the judges I applied to popping up on OSCAR now saying they want online applications. Does it matter/is it ok that I already sent paper? Should I submit an OSCAR application as well (I don't want to be annoying)? My guess is that even OSCAR judges who say they prefer online applications still get a mix of paper and online applications every year so it is not a big deal but I know there are some former clerks on here so I thought I would ask.

Thanks!
Last edited by emciosn on Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

emciosn

Bronze

Re: Paper v. Online/Oscar Applications

Post by emciosn » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:54 pm

Also, if anyone has some insight as to whether is it is better to send paper applications, even if the judge posts on OSCAR that would be appreciated as well.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:07 pm

I sent paper applications (I also applied as an alum, if that matters at all), because I had heard the same things that you had about paper applications. Basically, I'd heard that's it's really easy to delete a whole batch of applications on OSCAR without even looking at them, but if the paper app is in front of a judge/clerk, they'll probably at least glance at it.

I did get at least a couple of responses saying the judge only took online apps and to reapply through OSCAR. So based on that, I would say that at least for some judges, if they really want to look only at online apps, they'll let you know. Unfortunately, I obviously don't know if there were judges who threw the application in the trash because it wasn't online without telling me, either.

My gut reaction is that if you've already sent paper, don't apply again online unless the judge tells you to, because the chambers getting two copies would be annoying/confusing. But I don't have hard evidence for that and I'm happy to be contradicted.

emciosn

Bronze

Post by emciosn » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:24 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I sent paper applications (I also applied as an alum, if that matters at all), because I had heard the same things that you had about paper applications. Basically, I'd heard that's it's really easy to delete a whole batch of applications on OSCAR without even looking at them, but if the paper app is in front of a judge/clerk, they'll probably at least glance at it.

I did get at least a couple of responses saying the judge only took online apps and to reapply through OSCAR. So based on that, I would say that at least for some judges, if they really want to look only at online apps, they'll let you know. Unfortunately, I obviously don't know if there were judges who threw the application in the trash because it wasn't online without telling me, either.

My gut reaction is that if you've already sent paper, don't apply again online unless the judge tells you to, because the chambers getting two copies would be annoying/confusing. But I don't have hard evidence for that and I'm happy to be contradicted.
Thanks for you insight! The bolded above is pretty much exactly what I have heard as well. It seems that the risk of being annoying by submitting a duplicate, online application without being asked outweighs any possible benefit since the judges/clerks will probably look at the paper application even if the judge has an OSCAR posting.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”