Law Clerk Salary Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
downsouth

New

Re: Law Clerk Salary

Post by downsouth » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:56 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Quick add on about confusing parts - don't worry about the steps (the numbers across the top of the chart). I think (though am not sure) that they govern your raises within a particular grade (the 11 or 12 part). But I'm pretty sure they don't apply to term clerks, who are all paid at step 1 of their relevant grade. So it's the grade (11, 12, etc.) and the first column of the chart.
Slight caveat to this (at least in the courts where I've worked). If you come in with say, 3 years of experience but none of it with the courts, you'll come in as a JSP 13/2 instead of a JSP 13/1 (which would be just 2 years) or a JSP 14/1 (which would be 3 years, 2 years with the courts). You get the credit for all your years of experience, but because you can't go up a pay grade, they'll take you over a step.

Similarly for the person asking about not being barred, you should end up going up a step to JSP 11/2 because you can't go up to JSP 12/1.

newlawgrad

New

Post by newlawgrad » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:04 pm

downsouth wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Quick add on about confusing parts - don't worry about the steps (the numbers across the top of the chart). I think (though am not sure) that they govern your raises within a particular grade (the 11 or 12 part). But I'm pretty sure they don't apply to term clerks, who are all paid at step 1 of their relevant grade. So it's the grade (11, 12, etc.) and the first column of the chart.
Slight caveat to this (at least in the courts where I've worked). If you come in with say, 3 years of experience but none of it with the courts, you'll come in as a JSP 13/2 instead of a JSP 13/1 (which would be just 2 years) or a JSP 14/1 (which would be 3 years, 2 years with the courts). You get the credit for all your years of experience, but because you can't go up a pay grade, they'll take you over a step.

Similarly for the person asking about not being barred, you should end up going up a step to JSP 11/2 because you can't go up to JSP 12/1.
So, 3.5 years of practice->1 year d. ct. ->CoA. Is it possible I could get 13/2 at CoA?

downsouth

New

Post by downsouth » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:07 pm

newlawgrad wrote:
downsouth wrote:

So, 3.5 years of practice->1 year d. ct. ->CoA. Is it possible I could get 13/2 at CoA?
From what I've seen, this would translate into 13/2 when you start at d. ct., and possibly bump up to 13/3 once you hit 4 actual years of work. But this is starting to get complicated and you should definitely check with HR.

wwwcol

Bronze

Post by wwwcol » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:25 pm

All of this talk about a salary increase during the second year of clerking assumes no pay freeze, right?

HillandHollow

Bronze

Post by HillandHollow » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:39 pm

A student just asked me about clerk salaries in WV, so I looked it up on the chart from the first page of this thread. The only place where I see WV mentioned is in the "JUDICIARY SALARY PLAN Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA - Table DCB 27.10% Locality Payment Included."

There is NO way that WV pays the DC scale right??? How do I verify that WV falls into the "Rest of the US" table, which seems far more likely?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

grand inquisitor

Gold

Post by grand inquisitor » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:53 pm

you need to check which counties are classified as part of the DC metro. if a county is not listed in a special pay area then it will by default fall into "rest of the u.s."

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:56 pm

You can check which county has which pay rate (there are three of them for WV, some do get the DC pay rate, actually). Just mouse over the map and you'll see.

https://www.federalpay.org/gs/2017/westvirginia

HillandHollow

Bronze

Post by HillandHollow » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:57 pm

grand inquisitor wrote:you need to check which counties are classified as part of the DC metro. if a county is not listed in a special pay area then it will by default fall into "rest of the u.s."

Thanks, any idea where I find that county by county breakdown?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:06 pm

HillandHollow wrote:
grand inquisitor wrote:you need to check which counties are classified as part of the DC metro. if a county is not listed in a special pay area then it will by default fall into "rest of the u.s."

The link posted has it by county.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

HillandHollow

Bronze

Post by HillandHollow » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:12 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
HillandHollow wrote:

So I just see the list of all the different localities.
In THAT list, the only mention of anything West Virginia is on:
"Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA - Table DCB
27.10% Locality Payment Included
Effective January 9, 2017"

But it just seems very unlikely to me that WV clerks would get the bump that DC clerks get. The COL in WV is rather low. I would believe that maybe the part of WV that is closest to DC was part of that, but that the rest of the state was not. The student is looking at a judge that is in the southern part of the state.

MrT

Bronze

Post by MrT » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:13 pm

HillandHollow wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
HillandHollow wrote:

But it just seems very unlikely to me that WV clerks would get the bump that DC clerks get. The COL in WV is rather low. I would believe that maybe the part of WV that is closest to DC was part of that, but that the rest of the state was not. The student is looking at a judge that is in the southern part of the state.
try scrolling... also, the map at the top is interactive.

HillandHollow

Bronze

Post by HillandHollow » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:16 pm

MrT wrote:
HillandHollow wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
HillandHollow wrote:

Lol, there is no map on the page I'm looking at, and nothing to be discovered through scrolling. I think it might be this institutional computer. I'll check from home, thanks.

clerk1251

Bronze

Post by clerk1251 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:17 pm

mjb447 wrote:
newlawgrad wrote:I worked 3 years big law and am now Dct clerk. Going to Coa next year. It appears I'm the only one who would have the years eligible for JSP-14, but it would require another year of clerking, correct? Now way around this? Could I get it for the final month of my clerkship if that puts me over two years? Kind of insignificant but man is that a huge pay jump.
I believe that's correct; you need two years as a clerk before you're eligible for JSP-14. Don't know about additional time beyond two years, although it seems like it might be difficult to get everyone on board if it's a fairly brief period of time. It might be another situation where it would be worth asking but be prepared for any answer.
I don't believe this is correct. I think as long as you have 3+ years of experience and have passed a bar, you are eligible for JSP 14. 3+ years essentially means you have to need 156+ weeks of post law school graduation work. \

Just to note though, there can only be one JSP 14 per chambers. In almost all chambers, that would be the career law clerk. If your judge does not have a career law clerk, and you are the only one eligible for JSP 14. you can get it, otherwise you will just remain at JSP 13.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:23 pm

HillandHollow wrote:
MrT wrote:
HillandHollow wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
HillandHollow wrote:

Lol, there is no map on the page I'm looking at, and nothing to be discovered through scrolling. I think it might be this institutional computer. I'll check from home, thanks.
Ya, prob the computer. For WV specifically, Jefferson, Berkley, Morgan and Hampshire counties are the ones on the DC scale.

HillandHollow

Bronze

Post by HillandHollow » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:35 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
HillandHollow wrote:
MrT wrote:
HillandHollow wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
HillandHollow wrote:

Ya, prob the computer. For WV specifically, Jefferson, Berkley, Morgan and Hampshire counties are the ones on the DC scale.
Thanks so much!

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:49 pm

clerk1251 wrote:
mjb447 wrote:
newlawgrad wrote:I worked 3 years big law and am now Dct clerk. Going to Coa next year. It appears I'm the only one who would have the years eligible for JSP-14, but it would require another year of clerking, correct? Now way around this? Could I get it for the final month of my clerkship if that puts me over two years? Kind of insignificant but man is that a huge pay jump.
I believe that's correct; you need two years as a clerk before you're eligible for JSP-14. Don't know about additional time beyond two years, although it seems like it might be difficult to get everyone on board if it's a fairly brief period of time. It might be another situation where it would be worth asking but be prepared for any answer.
I don't believe this is correct. I think as long as you have 3+ years of experience and have passed a bar, you are eligible for JSP 14. 3+ years essentially means you have to need 156+ weeks of post law school graduation work. \

Just to note though, there can only be one JSP 14 per chambers. In almost all chambers, that would be the career law clerk. If your judge does not have a career law clerk, and you are the only one eligible for JSP 14. you can get it, otherwise you will just remain at JSP 13.
I'm just going by what OSCAR says:

If an appointee has three years of post-graduate legal work experience (with at least two years as a judicial law clerk, staff attorney, pro se law clerk, death penalty law clerk, or bankruptcy appellate panel law clerk in the federal judiciary) plus bar membership, he or she qualifies for appointment at JSP-14, step 1, with an annual base salary of $88,136 (plus applicable locality rate). Judicial Conference policy permits only one grade 14 law clerk per chambers. Incoming law clerks who have prior federal experience may be eligible to match their highest previous rate of federal pay within the grade for which they qualify. Specific information about salary can be made available prior to accepting an offer from the employing court's personnel representative.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:19 pm

I just completed my first year of clerking for a magistrate in federal court. My personnel information reflects that I was increased to a Grade 11 Step 2. Why would I not be increased to Grade 12 Step 1? I am barred in my particular state, as well. I looked at HR policies and they indicated: JSP-12, step 1 – One or more years of post-graduate legal work experience and bar membership of a state, territory, or federal court of general jurisdiction. Annual base salary is $62,722 (plus applicable locality rate). Should I reach out to HR? Thanks for your response!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

wwwcol

Bronze

Post by wwwcol » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just completed my first year of clerking for a magistrate in federal court. My personnel information reflects that I was increased to a Grade 11 Step 2. Why would I not be increased to Grade 12 Step 1? I am barred in my particular state, as well. I looked at HR policies and they indicated: JSP-12, step 1 – One or more years of post-graduate legal work experience and bar membership of a state, territory, or federal court of general jurisdiction. Annual base salary is $62,722 (plus applicable locality rate). Should I reach out to HR? Thanks for your response!
Yup, check with HR before you panic because it's often just a matter of paperwork. In my district, a grade increase constitutes a "promotion," which requires a letter signed by your judge. I asked my judge to sign a letter that read "I promote my clerk, X, to JS12." That got me the grade increase.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:58 am

They make mistakes all the time. I started with experience and should have been a JSP 13-1. Instead, they put 13-10... that was a fun paycheck.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just completed my first year of clerking for a magistrate in federal court. My personnel information reflects that I was increased to a Grade 11 Step 2. Why would I not be increased to Grade 12 Step 1? I am barred in my particular state, as well. I looked at HR policies and they indicated: JSP-12, step 1 – One or more years of post-graduate legal work experience and bar membership of a state, territory, or federal court of general jurisdiction. Annual base salary is $62,722 (plus applicable locality rate). Should I reach out to HR? Thanks for your response!
I realize you just finished your first year of clerking, but were you barred that entire time? Or were you admitted to the bar a few months into your clerkship? If it's the latter, that might be the explanation.

In any event, yes, of course you should ask HR about this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:34 pm

I will have 20.5 months of work experience (private practice) when I begin clerking next year, but I was barred for only 10.5 of them. Does that mean I will be a JSP 11 and then will get bumped up after 1.5 months? Does my experience when I was not barred count as well? Read through this thread, but still pretty confused about how the JSP works.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I will have 20.5 months of work experience (private practice) when I begin clerking next year, but I was barred for only 10.5 of them. Does that mean I will be a JSP 11 and then will get bumped up after 1.5 months? Does my experience when I was not barred count as well? Read through this thread, but still pretty confused about how the JSP works.
You should be a JSP 12, assuming your judge signs off on it. To qualify for JSP 12, all you need is bar membership plus one year of post-graduate working experience. You do not need to have had bar membership for a year in order to qualify.

I started clerking right out of law school as a JSP 11. I was lazy and didn't get around to taking the MPRE until the next year, so I didn't get admitted to the bar until November the year after graduating (15 months after starting the clerkship). After clerking for a year, I got the automatic step increase to JSP 11 step 2. As soon as I was admitted to the bar, a few months later, the JA submitted the paperwork for me to be promoted up to a JSP 12, and I immediately received the benefit of the JSP 12 bump, even though I had just received my bar membership.

You should start as a JSP 12 and qualify for a promotion up to JSP 13 as soon as you reach the two-year experience mark. It's a promotion, not an automatic increase, though, so your judge will need to approve the change. (Most judges will, but I can't make any promises.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:37 am

I will have 16 months experience when I start my clerkship, but my judge said I will start at Grade 10, step 1 or 2 depending on my time at the firm is viewed. Not sure what the judge meant by that, but isn't grade 10 low? I thought I'd be a grade 11.

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:43 am

By the time I would start a fed clerkship i would have two years clerking for a state court and two years of bar membership under my belt. I would be JSP-13 even tho bar membership isn’t required for my state court clerkship? The alternative seems whack because my job now is obviously relevant. Thanks for thoughts.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:54 am

whereskyle wrote:By the time I would start a fed clerkship i would have two years clerking for a state court and two years of bar membership under my belt. I would be JSP-13 even tho bar membership isn’t required for my state court clerkship? The alternative seems whack because my job now is obviously relevant. Thanks for thoughts.
I don't understand the question. Yes, you'd be JSP-13, because you'd have 2 years of legal work experience and you'd be barred. It doesn't matter whether your legal experience requires you to be barred or not, just that it's legal (as in law-related, not as in "within the law").
JSP-11, step 1 – Law school graduates with academic excellence and no legal work experience. Annual base salary is $52, 329 (plus applicable locality rate).
JSP-12, step 1 – One or more years of post-graduate legal work experience and bar membership of a state, territory, or federal court of general jurisdiction. Annual base salary is $62,722 (plus applicable locality rate).
JPS-13, step 1 – Two or more years of post-graduate legal work experience and bar membership of a state, territory, or federal court of general jurisdiction. Annual base salary is $74,584 (plus applicable locality rate).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”