Let's Talk 3rd Circuit! Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Let's Talk 3rd Circuit!

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:56 pm

I also never got a sniff from Chagares. Since he's the nicest guy in the world and doesn't come from a background that screams "prestige obsessed," I have to imagine that any grade snobbery might come from elsewhere. No special insight on this point, though.

Be aware that early reports point towards Judge Krause taking some cues from Judge Kozinski in terms of environment and atmosphere.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I also never got a sniff from Chagares. Since he's the nicest guy in the world and doesn't come from a background that screams "prestige obsessed," I have to imagine that any grade snobbery might come from elsewhere. No special insight on this point, though.

Be aware that early reports point towards Judge Krause taking some cues from Judge Kozinski in terms of environment and atmosphere.
Chagares requires Law Review + Grades + Connection. I know a number of people who clerked for him, and each have reiterated this point.

100% echo the comments re:Krause. She is apparently very demanding and works her clerks unnecessarily hard.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I also never got a sniff from Chagares. Since he's the nicest guy in the world and doesn't come from a background that screams "prestige obsessed," I have to imagine that any grade snobbery might come from elsewhere. No special insight on this point, though.

Chagares requires Law Review + Grades + Connection. I know a number of people who clerked for him, and each have reiterated this point.

100% echo the comments re:Krause. She is apparently very demanding and works her clerks unnecessarily hard.
I know the Krause folks work hard but she--at least to the outside world--projects as very kind and has a pleasant affect. Could be different once the chambers doors close, but I feel like this thread is giving her a bad wrap.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:22 am

I echo that. Every interaction with her I had (limited, but there were a few) was lovely. She was generous, exceedingly friendly, willing to talk to us nobodies.

While I've heard she works her clerks hard, I wouldn't call it "unnecessarily" hard. She's a former Biglaw partner. She's brilliant. She's demanding, sure, but all signs point to her working just as hard as her clerks. She cares, and caring is a great thing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:03 pm

I asked a current judge who works closely with my school candidly if there is anyone with whom he would caution me clerking for and the judge mentioned that K's clerks are known to be worked very hard, to the point other judges discuss it

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:01 pm

Any thoughts about Vanaskie? I've heard some good things, wondering if anyone else has heard anything...

Also, do we know if he actually waits until the fall to start interviewing? That seems a bit strange.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:06 pm

Anyone know if Shwartz/Vanaskie have started interviewing?

Also, I'm wondering if anyone has insight on hiring practices for either Restrepo or Scirica since neither are on OSCAR.

Thanks!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know if Shwartz/Vanaskie have started interviewing?

Also, I'm wondering if anyone has insight on hiring practices for either Restrepo or Scirica since neither are on OSCAR.

Thanks!!
Restrepo is hired through 2020.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:Posting anonymously, but former CA3 clerk.

Grades-wise, it really varies, both by judge but also by year. If the clerks have the primary job of filtering out applications, their opinions on grades might become the judge's opinion.

That said: it was my impression that Krause, Shwartz, Chagares, and Barry (when she was active) had the most-stringent grade requirements. I actually was not aware of Hardiman's reputation for requiring tip-top grades; by contrast, it was my understanding that Smith was fairly demanding. Fuentes seemed to hire people who had been out in the world a little bit.
I obviously have no way of knowing their grades, but the last few years his clerks appear to have been predominantly Harvard, Yale, and Stanford.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:50 pm

Any word on Shwartz interviewing?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any word on Shwartz interviewing?
Or Vanaskie?

Also, looks like today is the last day for submitting an app to Shwartz, maybe some interviews will follow??

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any word on Shwartz interviewing?
Or Vanaskie?

Also, looks like today is the last day for submitting an app to Shwartz, maybe some interviews will follow??
There may be a spot or two available for the fall. He may have also hired a clerk for the 2018 term. He generally hires in the winter/spring for the coming year, but can be all over the map really.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:35 pm

any news on Shwartz interviews?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2017 12:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:any news on Shwartz interviews?
At least one call went out this week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 19, 2017 9:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:any news on Shwartz interviews?
At least one call went out this week.
Has she made offers? Hoping for another round of interviews...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 25, 2017 6:58 pm

I have good reasons to think Shwartz is still considering candidates as of earlier this week, but I don't know how many or for what position

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 26, 2017 6:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have good reasons to think Shwartz is still considering candidates as of earlier this week, but I don't know how many or for what position
I interviewed with her and am still waiting to hear back either way.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have good reasons to think Shwartz is still considering candidates as of earlier this week, but I don't know how many or for what position
I interviewed with her and am still waiting to hear back either way.
Not either of the above anons, but also interviewed with Shwartz. Just got my rejection letter today. Hopefully one of you get it!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:37 pm

Based on oscar, looks like Shwartz is done.

Also jeez, seems like a lot of people interviewed with her. I did too.

bayareabruin

New

Post by bayareabruin » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:21 pm

Has anyone heard from Vanaskie?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:14 am

bayareabruin wrote:Has anyone heard from Vanaskie?
Are you asking about 2018-2019?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bayareabruin

New

Post by bayareabruin » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:46 pm

Yeah, I heard he might not interview until fall, but I wasn't sure if that was true

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:48 am

bayareabruin wrote:Yeah, I heard he might not interview until fall, but I wasn't sure if that was true
He's hired through the next two terms, so I believe 2019-2020 is next to be filled.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:19 pm

Has anyone scheduled an interview with Shwartz for a 2020 spot?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 14, 2019 3:46 pm

Bumping this because curious if anyone has insight on how competitive the Newark judges are. Given the ease of commute from NYC, is it just as difficult as landing a clerkship in the city (2d Cir or SDNY/EDNY)?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”