Envelopes and folders - advice? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
yehklwlm

New

Envelopes and folders - advice?

Post by yehklwlm » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:32 pm

Do any of you (especially former/current clerks) have thoughts on applications that...
1) Come in Tyvek envelopes? I've seen some people recommend these but I could also see them being pretty annoying for clerks to open.
2) Come in folders? If so, are pocket folders OK? I'd be concerned about using a file folder especially since the application would include #10 envelopes with recommendation letters. On the other hand, are pocket folders pretentious?
3) Have some kind of label on the folder?

Any other random things one should know? I haven't seen much at this level of detail.

Thanks!

emciosn

Bronze

Re: Envelopes and folders - advice?

Post by emciosn » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:13 pm

I am also interested in this. FWIW this is my second round of clerkship applications and my school prepared all of mine last semester and I'm pretty sure they did file folders with a label (name and school). This semester, though, since I am sending stuff out now ("off plan") I just get standard #10 envelops with my LORs and have to put the rest together myself.

Any insight from former clerks who have had to sift through applications may be helpful.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:56 pm

I really don't think it matters. IME, applications get taken out of the envelope they're sent in and put in a big stack until the judge is ready to look at them (or have the clerks look at them) and the most helpful thing you can do is clip your entire application together. Tyvek strikes me as unnecessary because unless your application is traveling via pony express, regular mail really doesn't usually destroy stuff (and I would find it annoying to get scissors to open it). But as long as it looks like an ordinary envelope I don't think it would matter.

I actually don't think I've seen any applications show up in folders (though obviously if your school sends stuff out in folders, that's what it does and it's totally fine - judges/clerks will clearly be used to it). I personally always think they're unnecessary and never used them (actually, I kinda hate them, but that's really a personal quirk). Also, don't worry about sealed LORs escaping, because when the application arrives someone will probably open the LORs, clip them to the rest of your materials, and toss the envelopes.

(Caveat - individual judges follow different practices and have different quirks so I can't guarantee my experience applies to any other chambers. But I'd be kinda surprised if it mattered unless you did something completely crazy, like having your app delivered via singing telegram or something. For instance, my current judge gets kind of bugged when people send stuff by FedEx/overnight, just because he hates the idea that someone paid $35 to apply for a job. But I doubt he would remember which candidate actually did so and hold it against that person, if they were a good candidate. And you can't really predict personal quirks anyway.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:46 pm

What is the best way to mail the applications? I recall seeing something on Oscar about not using First Class because it will take longer to get through security. Is that correct? I am seeking the most economical method possible, but I also don't want it to take forever.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:52 pm

Just don't use lots of small denomination stamps to mail it - an envelope half-covered with small-denomination stamps is a red flag and it will take longer to go through security. (No, seriously, this is what the marshals here told us.) Regular first class should be perfectly fine (if you take it the PO and get it weighed or use their self-mail kiosks, you get one stamp, no problem.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:49 pm

Thanks for this helpful advice, A. Nony Mouse. New poster here. Let's say I did send out a batch of applications using a combination of stamps. (That's what the post office person told me to do!) How much of a delay through security are we talking about?

It's always the little details with these processes that are so time-consuming!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:16 pm

Oh, I'm sure you're fine! Something like ~4 1st class stamps would be totally normal. I can't find an image online, but what they showed us was the kind of thing where literally half the space on the box/envelope is covered with stamps, often more than is needed. Plus, I would be willing to bet your mail looks like exactly what it is: a clerkship application. The security guys will see tons of those and I can't imagine there'd be any significant delay.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:32 pm

That makes sense - thanks A. Nony Mouse!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”