Clerking as a mid-level associate Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Person1111

Bronze

Re: Clerking as a mid-level associate

Post by Person1111 » Sat May 20, 2017 6:30 pm

lolwat wrote:Hmmm. Obviously it'll vary from judge to judge, but for those who clerked as a mid-level or know someone who has, what were those judges' views on clerks staying involved in bar association activities/leadership positions within those organizations? (For example, someone clerking in Pasadena being on a LACBA committee.) It wouldn't be a conflict I don't think, at least.
Ask your judge, but should be fine. My judge's permanent clerk was the president of the area chapter of the FBA.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Mon May 22, 2017 12:10 pm

hlsperson1111 wrote:
lolwat wrote:Hmmm. Obviously it'll vary from judge to judge, but for those who clerked as a mid-level or know someone who has, what were those judges' views on clerks staying involved in bar association activities/leadership positions within those organizations? (For example, someone clerking in Pasadena being on a LACBA committee.) It wouldn't be a conflict I don't think, at least.
Ask your judge, but should be fine. My judge's permanent clerk was the president of the area chapter of the FBA.
Thanks. I don't have a clerkship lined up or anything yet. It's just something I might be overthinking as a mid-level-ish, but definitely something I'm a little concerned about a judge thinking I'm not dedicated enough to working in their chambers if I'm also off with other commitments that require time from work hours. Most of our bar and professional organizations require a multi-year commitment for leadership positions where you automatically "move up" in the ranks and ultimately become chair/president/whatever after 3 or 4 years. I don't want to put off running for those positions while looking for a clerkship which I may or may not ever get and even if I do it doesn't start for 2+ years out. At the same time I don't want those commitments to tank my chances at getting a clerkship.

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Mon May 22, 2017 1:36 pm

lolwat wrote:
hlsperson1111 wrote:
Thanks. I don't have a clerkship lined up or anything yet. It's just something I might be overthinking as a mid-level-ish, but definitely something I'm a little concerned about a judge thinking I'm not dedicated enough to working in their chambers if I'm also off with other commitments that require time from work hours. Most of our bar and professional organizations require a multi-year commitment for leadership positions where you automatically "move up" in the ranks and ultimately become chair/president/whatever after 3 or 4 years. I don't want to put off running for those positions while looking for a clerkship which I may or may not ever get and even if I do it doesn't start for 2+ years out. At the same time I don't want those commitments to tank my chances at getting a clerkship.
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it at this stage. I think the vast majority of judges will be fine with it as long as you're submitting good work on time. Just ask your judge if/when you start clerking.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”