Let's talk 2nd Circuit! Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Let's talk 2nd Circuit!

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Also, anyone know how competitive Lynch is?
This is anecdotal, but I'm close to top 20% at HLS and I didn't get an interview.
Graduated magna from HLS and have non-SDNY/EDNY district court clerkship within a 100 mile radius and also didn't get interview. Figured this was more due to lack of connections with my recommenders and DJ than grades, but idk.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:19 am

Pooler was interviewing last week

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:01 pm

Any idea when to expect apps for 2021-22 to open for 2nd Cir.?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:52 pm

What grades does one need from HYS for non-feeder 2nd Circuit judges?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:18 pm

Probably top quarter at hls and got interviews with some of the least selective

Anything that's close to magna opens even more doors, as does LR obvi

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:31 pm

Any judges that look for work experience (in addition to a district court clerkship)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:35 pm

Who are the least grade selective in the 2nd Circuit?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:31 am

Is Stein actually still hiring for 19

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:Who are the least grade selective in the 2nd Circuit?
Generally non-Manhattan judges, with some exceptions

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:55 am

Probably top 20% at HYS, with an SDNY/EDNY district court clerkship and a reference from a former clerk. Didn’t get an interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:24 pm

Top third at MVP, with two years NYC big law experience and a district court clerkship. Do I have a shot at any judges in the Second Circuit? More specifically, any judges that consistently hire outside of the T6 or look for those with work experience?

I guess a more important question is, do I have a shot with any circuit court judges? Have been applying for several months now, and I thought the district court clerkship would help a lot, but radio silence. I prefer 1st, 2nd, or 3rd because I am from the Northeast and prefer to be within a short flight from my wife who will remain in NYC doing big law, but I would go anywhere to clerk. I wouldn’t clerk for any judge, but I would go anywhere. I’ve talked to my wife about it and we’re ok with long distance for a year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:16 am

If you have 2 years in big law and a prior district court clerkship already, you're looking at clerking as a 5th or 6th year if you're applying now. At that point it's probably not worth it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:If you have 2 years in big law and a prior district court clerkship already, you're looking at clerking as a 5th or 6th year if you're applying now. At that point it's probably not worth it.
Re bold - 2019 is still an option (I know not many, but still an option).

Why do you think it is not worth it? Will it jeopardize my career when I try to return to big law? Also, assuming I do think it would be worth it, what do you think?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Top third at MVP, with two years NYC big law experience and a district court clerkship. Do I have a shot at any judges in the Second Circuit? More specifically, any judges that consistently hire outside of the T6 or look for those with work experience?

I guess a more important question is, do I have a shot with any circuit court judges? Have been applying for several months now, and I thought the district court clerkship would help a lot, but radio silence. I prefer 1st, 2nd, or 3rd because I am from the Northeast and prefer to be within a short flight from my wife who will remain in NYC doing big law, but I would go anywhere to clerk. I wouldn’t clerk for any judge, but I would go anywhere. I’ve talked to my wife about it and we’re ok with long distance for a year.
One big question is where your district court clerkship is. If it's SDNY/EDNY, it might help a fair bit for 2nd Cir.; if it's D. Mass, same for 1st; etc. If it's a random district that's (a) not in the circuit, or (b) not "prestigious," it may not be a big boon.

Also, be aware that you'll be a relatively untraditional candidate. Most COA judges hire students straight from law school or with maybe a year or two of experience. It is more common for a district court judge to hire a clerk with law firm work experience, since it's more helpful for the job. There are a number of judges who only hire straight from law school; and probably more judges that are generally disinclined from hiring clerks with too much experience.

I think the best bet would be to work connections -- with your district court judge, with your law firm mentors, with alumni -- and see if you can get someone who the judge trusts to put your application in front of them. You can of course also just apply broadly and see if you get any bites (if you're geographically limited, why not just apply to every judge you'd work for in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd circuits?), but if someone in chambers is quickly going through hundreds of applications, you might stand out only in a negative way.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:05 pm

Are there any 2nd circuit judges who are particularly receptive to cold calls from professors?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:18 am

^Also interested in this if anyone has thoughts.

lizaregina

New

Post by lizaregina » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have experience clerking for Judge Winter? I'm curious what his caseload is like now that he's senior and what it's like clerking for him in general. I've also reached out to a couple of his old clerks, but they weren't recent, so things could have changed.
PM me

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:03 pm

Are there any 2nd circuit judges who are particularly receptive to cold calls from professors?
Thoughts?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
This is anecdotal, but I'm close to top 20% at HLS and I didn't get an interview.
As someone with a bit of experience: top 20% at HLS will be an uphill climb for CA2 judges (esp. in Manhattan) if you don't have Law Review or some other connections (such as a professor willing to make a phone call).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:23 pm

lizaregina wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have experience clerking for Judge Winter? I'm curious what his caseload is like now that he's senior and what it's like clerking for him in general. I've also reached out to a couple of his old clerks, but they weren't recent, so things could have changed.
PM me

I'd like to hear more. I can't seem to PM though. Does anyone know if I need to purchase a TLS upgrade or something?

radio1nowhere

Bronze

Post by radio1nowhere » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lizaregina wrote:
PM me
I'd like to hear more. I can't seem to PM though. Does anyone know if I need to purchase a TLS upgrade or something?
The new website owners removed the PM function for some reason. Dunno why.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:43 pm

Anyone know anything about Cabranes for 20-21?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:15 pm

I believe Cabranes has 2-3 vacancies left for 20-21. He’s done hiring for 19-20.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:23 pm

I believe Cabranes has 2-3 vacancies left for 20-21. He’s done hiring for 19-20.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
As someone with a bit of experience: top 20% at HLS will be an uphill climb for CA2 judges (esp. in Manhattan) if you don't have Law Review or some other connections (such as a professor willing to make a phone call).
Too late to be helpful for the person who posted since it looks like Lynch is now full for 2020, but FWIW as a future datapoint: I'm top 10% at HLS, Law Review, applied right away, didn't get an interview. Not sure if it's because he was looking for higher states than I had, because none of my profs had a connection to him, or pure luck/he just didn't like my application for whatever reason, but he's definitely pretty dang competitive. (For comparison, I interviewed with -- and eventually landed a job with one of -- several judges in the non-feeder 2/9/semi-feeder-on-different-circuit range.)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”