URM bump for Clerkships? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

URM bump for Clerkships?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:21 am

AA Male at a T2. Law Review, GPA 3.5-3.6 range (school doesn't rank but probably between to 15%-10%), LRW TA some other good work experience. Missed the big law boat but hoping to get a second bite at the apple by doing a state supreme or federal clerkship. Do URMs receive any boost in the clerkship process or is it all about grades and school rank? I used the search function but came up dry.
Thanks!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: URM bump for Clerkships?

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:47 am

I have seen my OCS flag a couple of judges (in the materials they have for us) as favoring "diverse" candidates. My sense is that because it was worth noting, it was unusual. Both judges are Hispanic, and I have seen other judges of color hire clerks of color. So while I don't know that it has anything like the documented boost that exists in admissions, it may be somewhat helpful. (I kinda want to say, target AA judges and other judges of color, but it is so idiosyncratic, it's hard to know if that makes a difference. I also want to make clear that I'm not suggesting the Hispanic and AA clerks I've seen have been in any way less qualified than white clerks - just that their race/ethnicity may have helped them stand out. Law is really white.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:AA Male at a T2. Law Review, GPA 3.5-3.6 range (school doesn't rank but probably between to 15%-10%), LRW TA some other good work experience. Missed the big law boat but hoping to get a second bite at the apple by doing a state supreme or federal clerkship. Do URMs receive any boost in the clerkship process or is it all about grades and school rank? I used the search function but came up dry.
Thanks!
It may give you a boost with some judges. Jon Tigar (N.D. Cal.) explicitly notes in his OSCAR listing that he looks at diversity, for instance.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:28 pm

I know that some diverse judges look for diverse candidates (DDC Roberts, EDVA Jackson, 4th Cir Davis, to name a few), but they look for diverse candidates within the pool of applicants they would normally consider. So no, I don't think you'll get a quantitative boost just for being a URM, but if you're a URM with the right qualifications, you'll be more attractive to those judges.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:42 pm

Thanks for the info guys. I was thinking about targeting judges of color. I think my GPA will be a little higher by the time I apply. Hopefully my note will get published as well. I am not running for an e-board position, hopefully that won't hurt me. I actually want to do transactional work long term, so I am still debating the usefulness of a clerkship, but if I land a "prestigious" one I think I would be stupid to turn it down.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zomginternets

Silver

Post by zomginternets » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the info guys. I was thinking about targeting judges of color. I think my GPA will be a little higher by the time I apply. Hopefully my note will get published as well. I am not running for an e-board position, hopefully that won't hurt me. I actually want to do transactional work long term, so I am still debating the usefulness of a clerkship, but if I land a "prestigious" one I think I would be stupid to turn it down.
Clerking is pretty much the only post-graduate job that e-board could actually make a difference. Is there anyway you can still apply? If not, you should prepare an answer for why you did not apply.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:27 pm

zomginternets wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the info guys. I was thinking about targeting judges of color. I think my GPA will be a little higher by the time I apply. Hopefully my note will get published as well. I am not running for an e-board position, hopefully that won't hurt me. I actually want to do transactional work long term, so I am still debating the usefulness of a clerkship, but if I land a "prestigious" one I think I would be stupid to turn it down.
Clerking is pretty much the only post-graduate job that e-board could actually make a difference. Is there anyway you can still apply? If not, you should prepare an answer for why you did not apply.
I believe that some judges care about this, but just to provide a counter-point, I was never asked about it (and I had five interviews and will be doing two federal clerkships).

hope&change

New

Post by hope&change » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
zomginternets wrote:
I believe that some judges care about this, but just to provide a counter-point, I was never asked about it (and I had five interviews and will be doing two federal clerkships).
I think it matters more if you are a marginal candidate. If you have an other perfect package (grades, LR, publication, etc.), perhaps e-board matters less.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:28 am

zomginternets wrote:
OP here. I decided not to run for two reasons. I am applying for a fellowship next year, if I am selected it will require a large amount of time. E-board appears to require a lot of time as well, and i didin't want to set myself up to get poor grades. Since I want to do transactional work, and I have a pretty strong finance background, I decided to run for the "business editor" role. Not as much of a time requirment, but still a "named" editor." Also I thought it would help my narrative (interested in business/finance/corp).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”