Hiring outside of T14? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Hiring outside of T14?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:30 pm

Does anyone know of judges who are known for hiring frequently outside of the T14?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Hiring outside of T14?

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:38 pm

Judges that hire outside the T-14 are probably hiring alums from their own school, or top students from the local school. (One judge I know always hires one clerk from her alma mater - which is T-14 - and one clerk from each of the 2 local schools.) So you will probably want to look for judges that are local or went to your law school. That, or judges who have hired students from your school before (talk to your career office) - twice I've gotten interviews with judges where I had no ties, but who had hired clerks from my school relatively recently. (I went to a non-T-14, if that wasn't clear.)

user1221

New

Re: Hiring outside of T14?

Post by user1221 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:16 pm

I agree with the above poster. A lot of judges, especially at the COA level, if they are to hire clerks at schools outside the T-14, want students either from his or her alma mater or from schools that are from the area in which his or her court sits. In these situations you will see attorneys at schools outside the T-14 with high level federal clerkships. If at a school outside the T-14, you would need grades generally at the Top 2-3% of your class because many of these judges won't hire an alum of their school unless that alum proves that he possesses special qualities that place that student on the level of students at T-14 schools. PM me if you want some more specific advice and wish to talk about the process.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”