Clerkship $$$ Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Clerkship $$$

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:19 pm

This may be a stupid question (hence why I am posting anon), but how much do clerkships pay? Does it differ based on the different places? Is it a stipend? Do you do it for free?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Clerkship $$$

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:22 pm

It's paid. http://www.uscourts.gov/Careers/Compens ... Rates.aspx

(This may be more helpful: --LinkRemoved--)

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:28 pm

For Art. III clerks, I believe you start at JSP-11 Step 1 for most recent grads, and it increases based on post-law school legal experience, etc.

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:17 pm

It's like $57,000, breh. Unless you live somewhere like NY, where they bump it up (not enough) for cost-of-living.

theaccidentalclerk

Bronze

Post by theaccidentalclerk » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:15 am

Do keep in mind that if you come in as an alum, the pay goes up pretty dramatically. With two years of experience, you'll be JSP-13, which pays (roughly) between $75k (in the boonies) and $92k (in the most expensive cities).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:02 am

Do they pay for relocation fee as well? I have a clerkship starting soon but I have not asked if there is a relocation compensation yet.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:11 am

No.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:03 am

Houston and NY on the same pay scale...that's just absurd.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:Houston and NY on the same pay scale...that's just absurd.
Why? It's not actually THAT much cheaper. I'm guessing you've never lived in one of the two?

Basically, it's a cost if living equalizer, not a quality of life equalizer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cim_can

New

Post by cim_can » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:23 am

I have been told that Houston gets a bump because of the volume of cases.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:45 pm

Houston locality pay > DC! Really?

try renting an apartment in DC- it's more like NYC.

Crazy

DreamShake

Bronze

Post by DreamShake » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:36 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
Why? It's not actually THAT much cheaper. I'm guessing you've never lived in one of the two?

Basically, it's a cost if living equalizer, not a quality of life equalizer.
I've lived in both, though certainly one longer than the other. The differences in cost of living are stark. First, you have to consider that a given clerk salary in NY is automatically ~7% less than it is in Houston because of state taxes. Then take another ~3% for city taxes. From that discounted salary you can start figuring out actual cost of living differences. Food, rent, and insurance are all higher in NY. Rent in particular is out of sight--for the price of an East Village studio, you could service the mortgage on a 4,000 square foot house in Sugar Land or a 3,000 sq ft house in Meyerland. $1k will get you a really, really nice apartment in Houston. Only transportation costs tend to be higher in Houston, but not nearly enough to account for the other disparities in cost. Maybe you could argue education costs are higher if you think you'd want to send your kid to private school in Houston but not NY, but I don't think many clerks have kids.

Frankly, if you think Houston isn't "THAT" much cheaper, you have no idea what you're talking about.

The notion that Houston gets more because of its volume of cases makes some sense...it would explain similar pay in Dallas as well.

Citizen Genet

Silver

Post by Citizen Genet » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:36 pm

DreamShake wrote:
I've lived in both, though certainly one longer than the other. The differences in cost of living are stark. First, you have to consider that a given clerk salary in NY is automatically ~7% less than it is in Houston because of state taxes. Then take another ~3% for city taxes. From that discounted salary you can start figuring out actual cost of living differences. Food, rent, and insurance are all higher in NY.

JSP 11, Step 1 Clerk Salary Comparison

Houston: $64,724
State Income Tax: 0%
City Income Tax: 0%
After Local Taxes Salary: $64,724

New York: $64,729
State Income Tax: Top Rate of 6.45% (Total Tax: $3,858.02)
City Income Tax: Top Rate of 3.648% (Total Tax: $2,243.32)
After Local Taxes Salary: $58,627.66

From taxes alone, you're looking at more than 10% salary increase going from New York to Houston. (And you won't be making enough to deduct state income tax from your federal income tax. You'll still likely take the standard deduction.)

And like DreamShake says, the cost of living is the real hit. You're going to be paying, depending on the borough, about two to three times more per square foot in New York than you will in Houston. That means a single bedroom in Houston that's running $800/month is going to cost you about $2,400 in Manhattan. I'm sure you can figure out that over 12 months, that difference becomes huge (about a $20,000 difference).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ClerkAdvisor

Bronze

Post by ClerkAdvisor » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:45 pm

cim_can wrote:
I have been told that Houston gets a bump because of the volume of cases.
No, this is certainly not correct. First, the JSP pay scale is the same as the General Schedule pay scale (e.g., JSP-11 = GS-11). And the General Schedule pay scale has the exact same locality pay tables as the JSP pay scale. Second, circuit clerks are paid on the same scale/locality pay as district clerks and, therefore, it would not make sense to pay 5th Circuit clerks stationed in Houston more than other 5th Circuit clerks, if pay was based on case volume.

Nickg415

Bronze

Post by Nickg415 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:59 pm

I have heard that starting pay increases (start on a higher grade) if you are coming from a law firm. Any truth to this?

nevdash

Bronze

Post by nevdash » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:02 am

Nickg415 wrote:I have heard that starting pay increases (start on a higher grade) if you are coming from a law firm. Any truth to this?
You start on a higher grade if you had prior legal work experience. It doesn't matter if it's from a firm or not.

ClerkAdvisor

Bronze

Post by ClerkAdvisor » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:06 am

Nickg415 wrote:I have heard that starting pay increases (start on a higher grade) if you are coming from a law firm. Any truth to this?
See https://oscar.symplicity.com/drupal/con ... y-benefits. Straight out of law school: JSP-11. One year of work experience post-JD: JSP-12. Two years of work experience post-JD: (maybe) JSP-13. For the work experience, you must have an actual year of working (i.e., if you started at a firm on Sept. 1, 2013 and then starting clerking for the 2014-15 term, then you won't be eligible for JSP-12 until Sept. 1, 2014; thus if you started on Aug. 1, 2014, you would be a JSP-11 until Sept. 1, 2014).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:46 pm

I know that second year clerks get a pay bump. If one stays on for a third year would there be an additional bump (assuming bar passage)? The pay scale from Oscar would seem to indicate that, but I have been told the opposite.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know that second year clerks get a pay bump. If one stays on for a third year would there be an additional bump (assuming bar passage)? The pay scale from Oscar would seem to indicate that, but I have been told the opposite.
I think it's at your judge's discretion (but am not certain).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:19 pm

I had heard at one point that former government employment could impact one's JSP grade, but I haven't found any official source that would verify (or disprove) that rumor. (I was a GS-13 before coming to law school.) Anyone heard anything about this?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had heard at one point that former government employment could impact one's JSP grade, but I haven't found any official source that would verify (or disprove) that rumor. (I was a GS-13 before coming to law school.) Anyone heard anything about this?
For clerkships, it's only work done after law school graduation. Previous federal experience doesn't count. (At least, that's what I was told.)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”