Clerkship on resume Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
theaccidentalclerk

Bronze

Clerkship on resume

Post by theaccidentalclerk » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:28 pm

Out of curiosity, where does everyone list their clerkship on their resume? Especially if you're an alum and have other legal experience. I've seen:

1.) As another job in the "Experience" section.
2.) As a standalone section before the "Experience" section.
3.) As a standalone section after the "Experience" section.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Clerkship on resume

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:38 pm

I have it as a job in the "Experience" section. That's pretty much the only way I've ever seen it, except for faculty, who usually have academic stuff under "Experience" and clerkships/firm jobs under "Other Experience" (or the like). But it's not like I've seen vast number of resumes from post-clerkship experienced attorneys, either (just stalked people on LinkedIn). And I could see rearranging it all once I have non-clerkship post-law school work experience (I would probably put it as a standalone after "Experience", once I get to the point where it makes sense to put Education at the bottom, for instance).

theaccidentalclerk

Bronze

Post by theaccidentalclerk » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:49 pm

Actually, I was told a while back that the prevailing resume format these days lists education first regardless of experience -- though the person said that it could change back.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:59 pm

Oh, interesting - good to know. I've seen a lot of non-law advice that suggests putting it at the bottom (after you've been out a few years and you can rely on experience rather than education), but obviously different industries are different.

theaccidentalclerk

Bronze

Post by theaccidentalclerk » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:11 pm

Related question: On cover letters, everyone insists that it's OK to do the whole "s/ Firstname Lastname" drill. But I always think that's tacky and scan in a signed letter. But our scanner in chambers isn't great, and it always looks kind of fuzzy.

So could someone either tell me that I'm right and need to do the signed letter thing, or convince me that I'm wrong?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:16 pm

Well, I've always done "s/ [Name]" - have never scanned a signed letter. But I also don't know where education should go on the resume, so... :P

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:47 pm

I do /s/First_Last also. I think it looks fine.

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:42 pm

You're not going to lose out on a job because you didn't scan in a signed letter.

You will lose out on a job by being the type of person who obsesses over whether or not you will lose a job over not scanning in a signed letter.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ak362

Bronze

Post by ak362 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:56 pm

You could always just scan your signature, copy and paste it into your cover letters. But ultimately, it doesn't really matter.

xcountryjunkie

Bronze

Post by xcountryjunkie » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:49 am

What I've generally seen is that for people with recent clerkships it is listed under the experience section like any other job. For people who clerked a long time ago and have more recent jobs to put in their experience section it usually gets listed at the bottom in its own bullet-point (much like bar admissions or publications).

Ex:

Education
-Yada
-Yada

Experience
-Yada
-Yada

Clerkships: Joe Schmo, S.D.N.Y ('00-'01); Jane Smith, Second Circuit ('01-'02)
Publication: "Why New York is the best legal market," New York Law Journal
Bar Admissions: New York

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:00 pm

Should one provide a description of one's current clerkship when applying for a future clerkship? I am having issues with spacing, but I did describe what I did in other positions.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”