Delaware Chancery Clerks' Law School Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
WhirledWorld

Bronze

Delaware Chancery Clerks' Law School

Post by WhirledWorld » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:10 pm

So I just found out that five of the ten Delaware Chancery Court clerks this year attended UPenn. Is that just a fluke, or does the school you go to matter that much when it comes to chancery clerkships?

Anonymous User

Re: Delaware Chancery Clerks' Law School

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:04 pm

5 is higher than usual, but Penn usually places 3-4 of the 10 spots on average. VC Strine teaches at Penn, and several of the professors at Penn are close with the C/VCs. If you want to clerk on Chancery there are a couple of profs that it is wise to become friendly with, and that's the reason Penn does well. Penn is also the closest T14 school to most chambers. (GULC might be closer to the Sussex county VC).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:23 pm

Does anyone know the sort of credentials for chancery clerkships. I have heard people comparing to SDNY district court, and others seem to say not so prestigious.
About me: T-14, GPA 3.5-3.6, I hope to get it above 3.6 by Spring, tons of corporate classes, and generally my higher grades were in corporate classes.

WhirledWorld

Bronze

Post by WhirledWorld » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know the sort of credentials for chancery clerkships. I have heard people comparing to SDNY district court, and others seem to say not so prestigious.
About me: T-14, GPA 3.5-3.6, I hope to get it above 3.6 by Spring, tons of corporate classes, and generally my higher grades were in corporate classes.
Since there are only 10 total clerk positions available, they tend to be very competitive, on par with non-2/9/D.C. circuits. A GPA in the top 5-10% from a top school is standard, but recommendations could land you a spot if you're on the cusp of competitiveness.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:40 am

WhirledWorld wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know the sort of credentials for chancery clerkships. I have heard people comparing to SDNY district court, and others seem to say not so prestigious.
Since there are only 10 total clerk positions available, they tend to be very competitive, on par with non-2/9/D.C. circuits. A GPA in the top 5-10% from a top school is standard, but recommendations could land you a spot if you're on the cusp of competitiveness.
Thanks for reply, time to take out to dinner my corporate professor who happens to be a giant on the field.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:04 am

WhirledWorld wrote:
I don't know - I'm not saying this is wrong, but I know of four current 3Ls at Penn who will be clerking next year in DE Chancery. Two are on LR and two aren't. OTOH, from my own experience, it seems very hard to get COA clerkships without LR from Penn. In fact everyone that I know of who got one this year was on LR. Just my own observation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:14 pm

The difference most likely is that those students either did well in Chancellor Strine's class or had a professor who knows the Chancellors personally and who was advocating on their behalf (although those are the same factors for getting any clerkship outside of the top 10 percent).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”