COA Writing Sample Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

COA Writing Sample

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:39 am

So I am 3L with D.Ct. clerkship this fall, applying for COA clerkship for the following years. Want to get my apps in soon, but I am little worried about my writing sample. I currently have an 8-page sample that I wrote during summer work; it's a motion response. I worry that this might seem to icky District Courtish for a circuit judge.

COA Clerks, how would you look on that? Should I be looking for another type of sample? Something a little longer?

EDIT: To be clear, I feel good about the substantive analysis, style, and cleanliness of the sample.

theaccidentalclerk

Bronze

Re: COA Writing Sample

Post by theaccidentalclerk » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:27 am

I'd use a published or soon-to-be-published note if you have one (unless you hate it). If you don't, a brief is fine. Better than a class paper.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:44 am

I'm a 2L. My note won't be finished until May and I'd like to apply to the off-plan COA judges in the spring. Is it ok to use a brief from my 1L Brief Writing course?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:26 pm

As long as it's not super-technical, I think a motion response makes for a fine writing sample, unless of course you have specific knowledge that a judge you are applying to prefers something different. I was in a similar situation (DCt=>COA) and I used a MTD I wrote for an advanced legal writing class. It wasn't a problem at all. Go with your best(read:cleanest) writing.

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:02 pm

theaccidentalclerk wrote:I'd use a published or soon-to-be-published note if you have one (unless you hate it). If you don't, a brief is fine. Better than a class paper.
Aren't most judges finicky about the fact that it's been edited, though? If not, I'd love to use my note for COA apps...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:47 pm

forza wrote:
theaccidentalclerk wrote:I'd use a published or soon-to-be-published note if you have one (unless you hate it). If you don't, a brief is fine. Better than a class paper.
Aren't most judges finicky about the fact that it's been edited, though? If not, I'd love to use my note for COA apps...
Is there a page limit on notes? I have one that is 50 pages. I imagine that's too long but I can't really send excerpts because the entire thing only works as a whole.

GertrudePerkins

Bronze

Post by GertrudePerkins » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:33 pm

forza wrote:
I don't think so. I think pretty much everyone on HLR uses some published piece (Case Comment or Note), and judges all know that those have been heavily edited.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:48 pm

What about a brief for Fed. App. Adv. versus a memo I wrote during my 1L SA? My note will also not be finished until May. The memo has been redacted and approved for use as a writing sample.

ClerkAdvisor

Bronze

Post by ClerkAdvisor » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:32 am

GertrudePerkins wrote:
forza wrote:
I don't think so. I think pretty much everyone on HLR uses some published piece (Case Comment or Note), and judges all know that those have been heavily edited.
I would recommend that you use the version that was not edited. There's no reason that you can't use the pre-outside editing version.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”