UVA Recommenders Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

UVA Recommenders

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:12 pm

I'd like to do a district court clerkship somewhere in the 4th circuit - preferably in/around VA - anyone know the professors whose recommendations/calls are going to carry the most weight? Also, to what extent will calls from well connected professors tip the scales for a non LR applicant around the top ten percent?

Anonymous User

Re: UVA Recommenders

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'd like to do a district court clerkship somewhere in the 4th circuit - preferably in/around VA - anyone know the professors whose recommendations/calls are going to carry the most weight? Also, to what extent will calls from well connected professors tip the scales for a non LR applicant around the top ten percent?
This really depends on the judge. Non-LR applicant will probably have better luck in WDVA and non-Alexandria EDVA. A very enthusiastic call from a professor that a judge knows well will always help. But as to which professor is best, this is very judge dependent.

Anonymous User

Re: UVA Recommenders

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:27 am

I mean there are the typical big hitters. Whether they are actually worth more (especially for a District Court) is debatable and likely varies from judge to judge. I would think the most weight would be someone who can talk enthusiastically about you- a professor (1) you have had and done well with, (2) have gotten to know decently on a personal level, and (3) is willing to make a phone call for you.

I am not too familiar with VA hiring, but I would think top 10% would put you in the ball park. Talk to the clerkship office they will have much more information.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”