PLAN HAS BEEN ANNOUNCED Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

PLAN HAS BEEN ANNOUNCED

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:46 pm

They only moved it up by two weeks. This is nuts; it's the worst possible scenario that only exacerbates the problems associated with the plan. Seems like even more judges will be hiring off-plan.

ph14

Gold

Re: PLAN HAS BEEN ANNOUNCED

Post by ph14 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:They only moved it up by two weeks. This is nuts; it's the worst possible scenario that only exacerbates the problems associated with the plan. Seems like even more judges will be hiring off-plan.
Source. (LinkRemoved) What were the dates last year?
Critical Dates wrote: Monday, August 19, 2013 (12:00 p.m. Noon EDT)
First date when applications may be received from third-year applicants

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 (12:00 p.m. Noon EDT)
First date and time when judges may contact third-year applicants to schedule interviews

Monday, September 9, 2013 (10:00 a.m. EDT)
First day and time to interview and make offers

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:50 pm

I don't remember the actual dates, but didn't it always open the day after Labor Day? I really don't get why opening it two weeks earlier would make the slightest bit of difference.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:55 pm

I was talking to my CDO clerkship advisor and she told me this yesterday but I forgot to post. She said it was awful news for them. It seems to make no sense, and does not address any of the issues with the plan.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:01 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:I was talking to my CDO clerkship advisor and she told me this yesterday but I forgot to post. She said it was awful news for them. It seems to make no sense, and does not address any of the issues with the plan.
Yea our clerkship program just sent out an email 20 mins ago. This seems terrible.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:04 pm

Yeah, it seems like a move designed to let them say, "Look, we responded to criticism and changed the plan!" rather than actually accomplishing anything. (I suppose technically this means for most students, the deadline is right before classes start - probably the first day for a lot of people - rather than a couple of weeks into the semester. But that wasn't really a problem for anyone I knew of.)

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:16 pm

Wow, why change it at all if you're only going to bump it up a few weeks?

ClerkAdvisor

Bronze

Post by ClerkAdvisor » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:07 am

Looks like the new plan gives chambers an additional week to evaluate applications. This might have been intended to address some judges concern that on-plan hiring is too compressed (i.e., 1 week to sort through applications, talk to recommenders, etc. is too short).

Citizen Genet

Silver

Post by Citizen Genet » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:14 am

So I think it's a move in the right direction, but like everyone else it seems too small. So while not every clerkship applicant goes to Harvard or Yale, a significant number do; the first day of classes for both schools is the first day of interviews for judges. It seems like pushing all of those dates ahead one more week would have at least given some students time to make it back on campus without missing out on anything.

Really what needs to be done is to get rid of the plan altogether and do a better job at making application information transparent. So I don't care if a judge wants an application in March, June, or October as long as I can know with adequate planning (3-4 months) that the judge will be accepting the applications then.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”