Best and worst judges to clerk for Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Best and worst judges to clerk for

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:29 am

LikelyThrowaway wrote:Bump. Curious about district court judges in the 9th Circuit.
Any specific district? Many of the N.D. Cal. judges (Chhabria, Seeborg, Orrick, Tigar, Illston, Breyer all spring to mind) are great choices. Other standouts include Gee in C.D. Cal., Mueller in E.D. Cal., and Wake in Arizona.

LikelyThrowaway

Bronze

Post by LikelyThrowaway » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
LikelyThrowaway wrote:Bump. Curious about district court judges in the 9th Circuit.
Any specific district? Many of the N.D. Cal. judges (Chhabria, Seeborg, Orrick, Tigar, Illston, Breyer all spring to mind) are great choices. Other standouts include Gee in C.D. Cal., Mueller in E.D. Cal., and Wake in Arizona.
Thank you, that's helpful. Pretty open, all of the California districts, Oregon and Washington too. Any word on the more recent Obama appointees in California, like Bashant, Curiel, Gilliam, or Stanton? It can be hard to find much online about them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
In C.D. Cal., I've heard very good things about clerking for Birotte, Wu, and Gutierrez. Also heard generally good things about Fitzgerald

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
In C.D. Cal., I've heard very good things about clerking for Birotte, Wu, and Gutierrez. Also heard generally good things about Fitzgerald
I've heard good things about Klausner, Otero, and Guilford. Conversely I hear Carter, Anderson, and Kronstadt can be tougher to work for.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I've heard good things about Klausner, Otero, and Guilford. Conversely I hear Carter, Anderson, and Kronstadt can be tougher to work for.
Otero just went senior and there are rumors that he's planning on retiring altogether pretty soon, so not sue how much further out he'll be hiring clerks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
20181989 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know anything about Friedland on CA9?
Only that she's brilliant. Fmr CA9 clerk here; did not clerk for Friedland but she's one of the best young lefties on the Circuit. She and her clerks both work hard. I knew one person who clerked for her. That person had impeccable credentials (think HYS, law review, name-brand D. Ct. clerkship prior). Friedland's terrific.
Now that Kozinski is gone, Friedland's clerks probably work the most hours in the circuit.
Ikuta (and her clerks) would disagree.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:06 pm

Anyone know about Bibas (3d Cir)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
20181989 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know anything about Friedland on CA9?
Only that she's brilliant. Fmr CA9 clerk here; did not clerk for Friedland but she's one of the best young lefties on the Circuit. She and her clerks both work hard. I knew one person who clerked for her. That person had impeccable credentials (think HYS, law review, name-brand D. Ct. clerkship prior). Friedland's terrific.
Now that Kozinski is gone, Friedland's clerks probably work the most hours in the circuit.
Ikuta (and her clerks) would disagree.
That surprises me because Ikuta writes all of her own opinions. Not saying that you’re wrong by any stretch, I’m just surprised that they have more work than clerks who are responsible for opinions.

I would add Rawlinson to the list of judges with long hours and weekends because she doesn’t participate in the bench memo pool but still expects full bench memos and bench books for every case. Watford isn’t in the pool either but his hours aren’t as long because his clerks don’t do formal bench memos.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:33 am

Any insight on the Seventh, particularly the non-senior judges?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:24 am

Having clerked on the 9th, if I could take a second 9th Cir clerkship I would 100% clerk for:
- Thomas
- Paez
- Bybee
- Christen

I would NOT clerk for:
- Bea (!!)
- Wardlaw (!!!)
- Berzon
- Wallace

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:14 pm

What is wrong w/ Bea? Wardlaw? I've heard mixed things about both...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What is wrong w/ Bea? Wardlaw? I've heard mixed things about both...
I was friends with a couple Bea clerks when I was clerking a few years ago. They said he can be pretty intense, but that once he trusts you he’s not a bad boss. They also didn’t seem too overworked (maybe slightly busier than average).

I didn’t know any of the Wardlaw clerks my year, but she is generally reputed to have a bad temper and to be high-maintenance.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Having clerked on the 9th, if I could take a second 9th Cir clerkship I would 100% clerk for:
- Thomas
- Paez
- Bybee
- Christen

I would NOT clerk for:
- Bea (!!)
- Wardlaw (!!!)
- Berzon
- Wallace
Mind elaborating on Bybee and Christen?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Having clerked on the 9th, if I could take a second 9th Cir clerkship I would 100% clerk for:
- Thomas
- Paez
- Bybee
- Christen

I would NOT clerk for:
- Bea (!!)
- Wardlaw (!!!)
- Berzon
- Wallace
Mind elaborating on Bybee and Christen?
Bybee is incredibly kind, deeply principled, and really cares about his clerks. I'm sure some people have a problem with his past political history, but he leaves all that at the door as a judge. He works his clerks hard, but fairly, and is very thoughtful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:24 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:What is wrong w/ Bea? Wardlaw? I've heard mixed things about both...
I had a sitting once with Bea and the way he spoke to his clerks just sent chills down my spine. Always barking / yelling and very, very condescending. I don’t have any Bea clerk friends though, so it was possibly a one-off or could be contextualized as a stressful travel week or something. Still, it felt really bad to watch. I know it’s not terribly uncommon for a judge to treat clerks that way, but at the same time there are several 9th judges who are warm, civil, and treat you like a person rather than a peon. It’s worth vetting judges based on that I think.

New

Post by 20181989 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:46 pm

- Thomas
- Paez
- Bybee
- Christen

I would NOT clerk for:
- Bea (!!)
- Wardlaw (!!!)
- Berzon
- Wallace
Fmr. CA9 clerk here -- No comment on the four "NOT clerk" judges, but hands-down second the four above (Thomas, Paez, Bybee, Christen).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I'm curious about the C.D. Cal judges you listed as tougher to work for. How so?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:08 am

And any more information re Berzon and Wallace?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:And any more information re Berzon and Wallace?
Would love to hear about Berzon and Wallace, too. Esp. curious about Wallace -- do senior judges get a lot of work? How is he with clerks? Worth pursuing? Not sure if Berzon and Wallace have hired for 2020-21...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:28 pm

Berzon has hired at least some of her 2020-2021 clerks, and has been hiring for 2020 since summer of 2017. I've heard from past clerks that she works her clerks very hard, and it is an intense year in comparison to many 9th circuit slots.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Berzon has hired at least some of her 2020-2021 clerks, and has been hiring for 2020 since summer of 2017. I've heard from past clerks that she works her clerks very hard, and it is an intense year in comparison to many 9th circuit slots.
+1 on hearing about her clerkship being tough. Thoughts on Wallace? Or generally senior judges in general?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Berzon has hired at least some of her 2020-2021 clerks, and has been hiring for 2020 since summer of 2017. I've heard from past clerks that she works her clerks very hard, and it is an intense year in comparison to many 9th circuit slots.
+1 on hearing about her clerkship being tough. Thoughts on Wallace? Or generally senior judges in general?
I interviewed with Wallace but did not clerk for him. I found him very stiff and unfriendly, I didn't click with the clerks, and I didn't think it would be a good environment. My experience from interviewing for district court clerkships was very different - I found all of the judges I interviewed with to be really engaged and interesting, and the district court judge I clerked for was a curmudgeon and yelled a lot but was also a great boss and mentor.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:12 pm

20181989 wrote:
- Thomas
- Paez
- Bybee
- Christen

I would NOT clerk for:
- Bea (!!)
- Wardlaw (!!!)
- Berzon
- Wallace
Fmr. CA9 clerk here -- No comment on the four "NOT clerk" judges, but hands-down second the four above (Thomas, Paez, Bybee, Christen).
Another CA9 clerk here—can second pretty much everything in this thread, although I don’t know enough about Paez, Bea, or Wallace to fully comment. I would add Fletcher, Tallman, and especially Watford as three more judges I would 100% clerk for. There are probably other great judges too that I just don’t know enough about. It’s a huge court and as a clerk you don’t get to interact with every chambers, but as a general rule the average CA9 judge is a pretty outstanding person.

Wardlaw and Berzon are on that list because both are difficult, “high maintenance” personalities. But now that Kozinski has retired there are no true nightmare judges on the court. I would add Fernandez to my “no” list because he’s the Ghost of the Ninth: never in the office, and even stays at a separate hotel from his clerks and other judges when he travels. He’s not a hard personality to deal with, but his clerks are lucky to interact with him once a month, and that sort of defeats the purpose of the clerkship.

Senior judges can be a very worthwhile clerkship if they are still taking at least a 50% caseload. If a senior judge is still very active it can actually be to the clerk’s benefit that they no longer sit on en banc panels, because it will give the judge and clerk more time to work on the regular caseload. The seniors who currently sit often enough to make for a good clerkship are, to my knowledge: Wallace, D.W. Nelson, Schroeder, O’Scannlain, Hawkins, Tashima, Tallman, Clifton, and N.R. Smith.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:30 pm

Former CA3 clerk here and happy to give insight into specific judges if anyone has questions.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”