Best and worst judges to clerk for Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Best and worst judges to clerk for

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 24, 2013 11:14 am

Anyone know judges with particularly good/bad reputations on the EDNY?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 24, 2013 7:18 pm

^ I've heard great things about Bianco. He hires 3 clerks per year, by the way, and you're in Central Islip.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 28, 2013 12:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know judges with particularly good/bad reputations on the EDNY?
Amon is supposed to be great. Same with Nina Gershon, though not sure how active she is these days.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 28, 2013 11:12 am

Judge Block had a "reputation," according to my school's CO, but it was never clear what that reputation was...so take it with a giant grain of salt.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 28, 2013 1:43 pm

Spatt and Korman are difficult to work for supposedly.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 30, 2013 8:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know judges with particularly good/bad reputations on the EDNY?
On a related note, has anyone heard anything reputation-wise about Vitaliano, Irizarry or Cogan?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 30, 2013 10:25 am

I have only ever heard good things about Vitaliano, both from clerks and from those who've appeared before him.

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:42 pm

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Citizen Genet

Silver

Post by Citizen Genet » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:55 pm

ajax adonis wrote:
PDaddy wrote:Take a look at http://therobingroom.com/, as it can be very helpful. You can often assess a judge by his/her reputation amongst attorneys. Their courtroom behavior, diligence (or lack thereof) and the quality of the reasoning in their decisions can illuminate whether your experience with them will be fruitful.

Judges are at their best in open court; so if a judge is insufferable or abuses his discretion in front of the public, his clerks aren't likely to enjoy their experiences behind closed doors. You want to clerk for evenhanded judges whose decisions are well-reasoned and whose courtroom and chamber ethics demonstrate a high regard for the bench, the bar, the public's interests, and human rights.

Hit the link below and search any federal or state judge, commissioner or magistrate.

http://therobingroom.com/
That's a good site. Will it sound totally stupid and unprofessional to tell a judge during an interview that you want to clerk for her because she has a good reputation on robing room?
Yes, it will sound stupid and unprofessional. Stupid because the site reflects serious response bias so it isn't the most accurate description of a judge usually. Unprofessional because it is where attorneys go to anonymously whine about judges.

But, just to be clear, asking whether it would be stupid or unprofessional wasn't a bad question. Good to think about.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:58 pm

And, wow, for all the judges I looked at on robingroom, the comments were clearly dominated by non-lawyers who had received adverse judgments (or just random nutcases. E.g., people arguing that Article III doesn't give federal judges jurisdiction over challenges to the Arizona immigration bill). I suppose there are a few useful nuggets in it, but wading through that crap is a huge waste of time.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:Berzon is also a liberal feeder, but she is far from chill.
Can you share more on this?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:34 am

sundance95 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Berzon is also a liberal feeder, but she is far from chill.
Can you share more on this?
I don't know whether she is a feeder, but I've heard she is pretty intense to work for. That's all I've heard.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:14 am

I would not call her a feeder. She has sent one clerk to the Supreme Court.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I would not call her a feeder. She has sent one clerk to the Supreme Court.
Cornell's clerkship website has a good list of the feeders just as a general fyi.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I would not call her a feeder. She has sent one clerk to the Supreme Court.
Cornell's clerkship website has a good list of the feeders just as a general fyi.
I find it difficult to believe Cornell's clerkship website has a good list of anything.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
On a related note, has anyone heard anything reputation-wise about Vitaliano, Irizarry or Cogan?
Cogan's clerks probably work the hardest of any judge in EDNY. Irizarry is really really mean to litigants, including the government, but her clerks and interns are treated very well.

Gleeson is terrific to work for, cares about mentorship and one of the most brilliant jurists out there. Garaufis is loved by his clerks -- he's full through 2015 though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:00 pm

Ikuta is sending another clerk to the S Ct in 2014.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:22 pm

Can anyone comment on judges in the 6th Circuit, both COA and Dist. Ct.?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:51 pm

Bump.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:33 am

bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone comment on judges in the 6th Circuit, both COA and Dist. Ct.?
Care to ask about someone (or a few) in particular?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:36 pm

The COA judges in Michigan?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:32 pm

I heard Jeffrey Sutton is great to work for.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:29 pm

I have heard that Kethledge is great to work for too.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sloviter (3rd) and Smith (EDVa) are two that I have consistently heard negative things about.

Positive things: Almost all of the 9th Cir. judges in Southern Cal (must be the weather) have reputations as thoughtful judges, though some have a reputation for having huge expectations. Kozinski is rumored to openly pit clerks against each other in an effort to get more out of them, but my guess is if you have a shot at Kozinski, you don't really care about that kind of work environment and view the opportunity as worth the demands.
Kozinski work hours: Weekdays 9:30 am - 1:30 am, with a 2 hour break for dinner, business formal attire; Weekends 10-12 am - 1:30 am. No holidays, you work 365 days a year, including Christmas, New Years, etc. Kozinski's placement power in the SCT is also not as strong as when O'Connor was on the court. If you want a feeder judge there are probably at least a dozen on the same level with a more humane work experience.
A former clerk for a different judge in the 9th once told me that Kozinski says he doesn't interview for one-year clerk terms, he interviews for 365-day clerk terms. My friend then added that to be more honest, Kozinski should say he interviews for 365 days & nights.
Wow.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”