Clerks Taking Questions Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
objctnyrhnr

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Post by objctnyrhnr » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So here's a piggybacking question because I'm at the weird CCN where GPAs are lol, but otherwise similarly interested clerking-wise to earlier anon. If I think I'm in the bottom half of the top 10%, is that basically the same for purposes of D. Ct clerkships chances? Is narrowing to just NDCA/CDCA way too optimistic?
You are a strong applicant. These types of questions really come down to your own internal balance of how badly you want to clerk, though. If you want to fedclerk no matter what and will make jurisdictional sacrifices, of course you want to apply to every judge. If you would like to clerk, but only if it is in a limited number of spots, and are fine with the alternative of not clerking, only apply to those spots. It’s pretty simple.

Personally, I only applied to clerk within say 70 miles of the metro area of the major market to which I had ties because I did not feel the need to clerk that badly (though, in hindsight, I’m so happy I did) and I had a really solid post-grad alternative. My ties were so strong that, on balance, I decided to only apply to something like 30 judges...and I wasn’t as strong as you on paper.

Remember—this isn’t like predicting oci results based on school/grades. It’s consiserably less predictable. Even if you are great on paper, maybe you get several interviews then strike out. In that scenario, will you have wished that you had applied more broadly? Maybe that’s the question you should be answering for yourself to assist with your decision.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What do you need at HYS to be competitive for 2/9 district and circuit court clerkships?
Ex-CA9 clerk from HYS. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say roughly 75% H's puts you in a good spot (for the judges based in major cities). I'm pretty sure some of the judges in places like NDCA get as many or more apps as the CA9 judges in less desirable locations, though; take the district/circuit breakdown with a grain of salt.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What do you need at HYS to be competitive for 2/9 district and circuit court clerkships?
Ex-CA9 clerk from HYS. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say roughly 75% H's puts you in a good spot (for the judges based in major cities). I'm pretty sure some of the judges in places like NDCA get as many or more apps as the CA9 judges in less desirable locations, though; take the district/circuit breakdown with a grain of salt.
Do you mind going off anon? I'd like to PM you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:29 pm

What is the best way to update an application to include a new clerkship? I recently began my district court clerkship, but I sent out a few circuit clerkship applications before I accepted/began my district court clerkship that obviously do not include the district court clerkship.

Do I just re-apply with an updated cover letter? Do I clarify in the cover letter that I previously applied and now have an update? Do I send a short statement in lieu of an updated cover letter explaining the update? Not sure if I am over thinking this, but my concerns are making sure Chambers knows it is an update and not a new application, and not wasting Chambers time by giving them all the same documents again.

Also, not sure if this affects the answer, but this is for a few judges that I am targeting specifically. Given my school, rank, and geography, and my professor’s relations to these judges, I think I have a good shot relative to other circuit clerkships. One of the judges, for example, spoke with my professor last month after he called on my behalf. This judge is notoriously slow to hire so I am not too concerned that the call was to no avail, but along the lines of my original question I am not sure exactly how to address that in my application, if at all.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote: One of the judges, for example, spoke with my professor last month after he called on my behalf. This judge is notoriously slow to hire so I am not too concerned that the call was to no avail, but along the lines of my original question I am not sure exactly how to address that in my application, if at all.
Not OP, but also curious about this. My professor called a circuit judge for a 19-20 position, but I haven't heard from the judge. I'm guessing it is a no, but I have a significant update (recently began a new job), and I would like to let the judge know. Do I just update without mentioning the phone call?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:18 pm

Not sure if this should go in a Post-Clerkship Hiring thread instead. My apologies if so:

I applied to a firm as a lateral after two years, with a clerkship lined up for what would be my fourth year. I told the firm that I have the clerkship and that I would look to come back after the clerkship, and a recruiter replied “Given your clerkship time frame, we don’t think a lateral to our firm is the right move at this point. However, we strongly encourage you to reapply mid-clerkship for a post-clerkship role. We’d love to revisit your candidacy then.” Then, a second recruiter emailed me, unprompted, saying “We highly encourage you to consider re-applying with next year.”

Do these mean anything, or are they generic statements? Going to apply either way, but just wondering what to make of it. Also, when it is time to apply, would it be a bad idea to apply in the same email thread (so that they can be reminded of my previous app)?

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:49 pm

A state SC judge in the city where I’m doing my 2L SA replied to my application with an offer of “coffee and a chat” this summer. He said that currently he has no openings, but that the situation might change. Should I treat this as a real job interview or are informal meetings a standard thing?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:31 am

It does not sound like a real job interview to me but meetings of this nature are not standard unless you or one of your recommenders has a connection to the judge. Odds are, the judge is interested in your application, does not know yet if his current or incoming clerks will stay an additional year or has some reason to believe that a current or incoming clerk might leave in time for a position to open up for you, and the judge wants to get a sense of who you are should a position open up. View the meeting as an opportunity to get a leg up on other applicants should a position become available.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:It does not sound like a real job interview to me but meetings of this nature are not standard unless you or one of your recommenders has a connection to the judge. Odds are, the judge is interested in your application, does not know yet if his current or incoming clerks will stay an additional year or has some reason to believe that a current or incoming clerk might leave in time for a position to open up for you, and the judge wants to get a sense of who you are should a position open up. View the meeting as an opportunity to get a leg up on other applicants should a position become available.
Thanks!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:45 pm

any SDNY clerks have experience with "Volunteer Clerkships?" and how firms view them? I'm not concerned about working for free, just the potential perception that I didn't do a "real clerkship"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:23 pm

First question: do grades ever matter less when you've got substantive experience?

second question: do "connections" help?

Been out for 4 years, state level litigation experience trying cases from a t20 but median gpa.. good friends w/ a retired fed judge who said he could help out and make calls but skeptical as to my chances in medium sized cities in middle america.

what_even_is_a_brief

New

Post by what_even_is_a_brief » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:35 pm

you ever just spell it "clorks" cuz its funnier?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:17 am

Does anyone know whether clerkship bonuses with clawbacks are pro-rated?

(If its a year and you leave in six months do you pay it all back or half?)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:First question: do grades ever matter less when you've got substantive experience?

second question: do "connections" help?

Been out for 4 years, state level litigation experience trying cases from a t20 but median gpa.. good friends w/ a retired fed judge who said he could help out and make calls but skeptical as to my chances in medium sized cities in middle america.
1. This was covered recently: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&t=285597

2. Yes. It helps the most in terms of getting your resume pulled out of the pile when you might not otherwise get a hard look.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:15 pm

how would a firm react to a last minute 2018 clerkship? Especially after the firm paid you bar prep etc. I really do not want to burn the bridge but something may have fallen into my lap.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:how would a firm react to a last minute 2018 clerkship? Especially after the firm paid you bar prep etc. I really do not want to burn the bridge but something may have fallen into my lap.
Region/court?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:04 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:how would a firm react to a last minute 2018 clerkship? Especially after the firm paid you bar prep etc. I really do not want to burn the bridge but something may have fallen into my lap.
Region/court?
NYC/SDNY

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BulletTooth

Bronze

Post by BulletTooth » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:20 am

I'd imagine this is highly dependent on the firm, and especially the hiring/managing partners at the the firm. I think some would see these as a great opportunity to get experience while others would hold it against you.

BulletTooth

Bronze

Post by BulletTooth » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:What is the best way to update an application to include a new clerkship? I recently began my district court clerkship, but I sent out a few circuit clerkship applications before I accepted/began my district court clerkship that obviously do not include the district court clerkship.

Do I just re-apply with an updated cover letter? Do I clarify in the cover letter that I previously applied and now have an update? Do I send a short statement in lieu of an updated cover letter explaining the update? Not sure if I am over thinking this, but my concerns are making sure Chambers knows it is an update and not a new application, and not wasting Chambers time by giving them all the same documents again.

Also, not sure if this affects the answer, but this is for a few judges that I am targeting specifically. Given my school, rank, and geography, and my professor’s relations to these judges, I think I have a good shot relative to other circuit clerkships. One of the judges, for example, spoke with my professor last month after he called on my behalf. This judge is notoriously slow to hire so I am not too concerned that the call was to no avail, but along the lines of my original question I am not sure exactly how to address that in my application, if at all.
If you have the Chambers' email, I would just send them an email with an updated copy of your resume. In the email, flag that you accepted a district court clerkship, which is why you're sending an updated resume. I don't think it makes sense to redo the entire app, which would be annoying. If you don't have a good email, I would go the cover letter route--send a cover letter with an updated copy of the resume.

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:21 pm

If it's a big firm with big incoming classes, I don't see how it can be a big deal for them. A couple associates one way or the other doesn't matter in a class of 70 or more. I can't imagine anyone caring at all.

daedalus2309

Bronze

Post by daedalus2309 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
objctnyrhnr wrote:
Region/court?
NYC/SDNY
I have a feeling they'll be okay with this

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:05 pm

Does anyone have info on what it is like to work for recently confirmed Judge Grasz? Not asking about politics etc. I hear he is very rude . It could be especially bad for clerks because he is a new judge.

Also, would this clerkship be looked down upon given the controversy surrounding his nomination? I find it hard to believe that a COA clerkship can be frowned upon in general, but this seems like a contender.

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:25 pm

Is rude a euphemism

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have info on what it is like to work for recently confirmed Judge Grasz? Not asking about politics etc. I hear he is very rude . It could be especially bad for clerks because he is a new judge.

Also, would this clerkship be looked down upon given the controversy surrounding his nomination? I find it hard to believe that a COA clerkship can be frowned upon in general, but this seems like a contender.
I can’t speak to the first question because honestly, we have no idea what Grasz will be like to work for, and won’t until we’ve had a couple terms for clerk gossip to get out. There are plenty of stories of judges who are very rude to attorneys but are fantastic bosses, and I’m sure there are also judges who are lovely in court but are horrible to work for.

I wouldn’t worry about the controversy around his nomination since it was almost entirely political. That will be forgotten in short order and Grasz won’t be viewed any differently than any other down-the-line conservative judge—perhaps a negative for the most liberal of interest group employers, but otherwise the same as any other 8th circuit judge.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:56 pm

Does anyone know what the pay is for EDNY for someone 3 years out of law school by the time they start their clerkship? I wasn't sure what step I'd be on the GS scale.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”