Clerks Taking Questions Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
nixy

Gold

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Post by nixy » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:30 pm

I agree with the above. If you don’t disclose, your record is probably going to look worse than it is, and while some judges may not read the addendum/care, those who do may find it helpful/interesting. Keep in mind that judges don’t have to compete for rankings like law schools do, so an addendum can carry more weight than in law school admissions. If you can convince one judge that your good grades are more representative than your bad grades, you will have improved your chances. The only issue is to make clear that there’s no chance of this condition recurring while you’re clerking.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:29 pm

Anon from above. Thanks to you both for your insight -- wish I had asked this question before sending out apps! But will be helpful for any new apps I submit. Thanks again.

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Rising 3L at H/S. During 1L, I had a medical condition that seriously affected my ability to study. Got about 80% Ps and 20% Hs. Thankfully, a proper diagnosis finally and abruptly ended that medical condition at the end of my 1L year. During my 2L year, got about 20% book prize/DS, 60% H, 20% P. My clerkship office advised against mentioning this in my clerkship applications, and I followed that advice.

I am starting to second guess that advice now (minimal bites on my current application, and most judges I applied to have interviewed others or filled their spots) -- the way that OSCAR prints grade sheets, the sudden upward trajectory is not at all clear. The reader gets hit with a wall of Ps on the first page. For future clerkship applications, considering either mentioning it very briefly in cover letter, or perhaps adding a second page to the cover letter file that has a header that says "Law School Performance Addendum" or something like that. I think it's kind of odd to not provide a simple explanation and don't tend to think it would hurt me (I mean, more than a clerk looking at the wall of Ps and moving on to the next person's app), given how stark the change was.

But I could be wrong, of course. Does anyone have thoughts? Thank you!
Is there any chance you had a professor for both a 1L class and a 2L class? They might be able to mention it briefly in their LoR. I would be hesitant to do anything more forward.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:54 pm

How is the job hunt following appellate clerkships?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:05 pm

Auxilio wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Rising 3L at H/S. During 1L, I had a medical condition that seriously affected my ability to study. Got about 80% Ps and 20% Hs. Thankfully, a proper diagnosis finally and abruptly ended that medical condition at the end of my 1L year. During my 2L year, got about 20% book prize/DS, 60% H, 20% P. My clerkship office advised against mentioning this in my clerkship applications, and I followed that advice.

I am starting to second guess that advice now (minimal bites on my current application, and most judges I applied to have interviewed others or filled their spots) -- the way that OSCAR prints grade sheets, the sudden upward trajectory is not at all clear. The reader gets hit with a wall of Ps on the first page. For future clerkship applications, considering either mentioning it very briefly in cover letter, or perhaps adding a second page to the cover letter file that has a header that says "Law School Performance Addendum" or something like that. I think it's kind of odd to not provide a simple explanation and don't tend to think it would hurt me (I mean, more than a clerk looking at the wall of Ps and moving on to the next person's app), given how stark the change was.

Is there any chance you had a professor for both a 1L class and a 2L class? They might be able to mention it briefly in their LoR. I would be hesitant to do anything more forward.
Thanks for weighing in! Unfortunately, that ship has sailed wrt recommenders. But I appreciate your thoughts on this being a little forward, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Auxilio wrote:

Thanks for weighing in! Unfortunately, that ship has sailed wrt recommenders. But I appreciate your thoughts on this being a little forward, etc.
I think even if you didn't have a professor that had you as a 1L, if you trust a recommender it could be useful for them to include. I had a professor for whom I took two classes 2L year mention in the rec letter that I was extremely sick when I took his final the first semester (my grades in his classes were 3.5 and 4.0 respectively). I agree with the thrust of the advice that this is something better coming from a professor if there's one you trust to relay this info and feel comfortable asking them to do.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:36 pm

Are there any judges who only/primarily take applications by paper that are known for sending any kind of confirmation of receipt of those applications? If so, wondering if those are pro forma or meaningful of having cleared some auto-shred/actual consideration threshold.

anonymous117

Bronze

Post by anonymous117 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are there any judges who only/primarily take applications by paper that are known for sending any kind of confirmation of receipt of those applications? If so, wondering if those are pro forma or meaningful of having cleared some auto-shred/actual consideration threshold.
I’m not entirely sure I understand what you’re asking. I’ve sent out many paper applications, and I have received letters and emails in response for a small percentage of them. Some are saying they’re done hiring, some simply thanking me for applying and saying they’ll be in touch if they decide to interview. I wouldn’t read anything into them. If a judge does that, I’ve always assumed they do it to everyone who applies, unless it’s somehow personalized.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:35 am

What's the protocol for withdrawing applications after accepting another offer? Aside from informing those judges you had an interview with but no answer yet, should an applicant withdraw on OSCAR and send a letter to paper app chambers or just be prepared to let chambers know if they contact you (i.e. you don't know if your application will ever surface and you didn't have anyone call).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

HillandHollow

Bronze

Post by HillandHollow » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:What's the protocol for withdrawing applications after accepting another offer? Aside from informing those judges you had an interview with but no answer yet, should an applicant withdraw on OSCAR and send a letter to paper app chambers or just be prepared to let chambers know if they contact you (i.e. you don't know if your application will ever surface and you didn't have anyone call).
Withdraw on OSCAR and call (or email, depending) chambers of paper app judges

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:02 am

Does anyone know how the job hunt is following a COA clerkship?

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:What's the protocol for withdrawing applications after accepting another offer? Aside from informing those judges you had an interview with but no answer yet, should an applicant withdraw on OSCAR and send a letter to paper app chambers or just be prepared to let chambers know if they contact you (i.e. you don't know if your application will ever surface and you didn't have anyone call).
I don't really think it's necessary to call paper app chambers, but you also wouldn't go wrong doing it. Definitely withdraw on OSCAR, though.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:15 pm

I never called paper app judges to withdraw and only once did anyone contact me further. And it was late enough in the game that they approached it as “are you still interested in this position” so it was easy.

But if you are a SCOTUS/feeder level applicant maybe you’ll get more follow up and it’s worth actively withdrawing? Not a problem I ever had. :lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:38 pm

If you are 80% sure you want to go back to your 2L firm, but may want to switch cities, should you accept or reject a return offer before your clerkship (assuming your judge allows you to accept).

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you are 80% sure you want to go back to your 2L firm, but may want to switch cities, should you accept or reject a return offer before your clerkship (assuming your judge allows you to accept).
I don't think there's ever a reason to accept an offer until like May of the year you're going back. You gain nothing. And you don't know what you'll want two years out. And an open offer might let you negotiate for a bigger bonus or whatever.

Also, even judges who don't mind if you accept would probably prefer you at least wait until half way through if there's no reason to accept earlier.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:13 pm

Auxilio wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If you are 80% sure you want to go back to your 2L firm, but may want to switch cities, should you accept or reject a return offer before your clerkship (assuming your judge allows you to accept).
I don't think there's ever a reason to accept an offer until like May of the year you're going back. You gain nothing. And you don't know what you'll want two years out. And an open offer might let you negotiate for a bigger bonus or whatever.

Also, even judges who don't mind if you accept would probably prefer you at least wait until half way through if there's no reason to accept earlier.
Don't you piss off your firm and run the risk of having no biglaw at all at the end of your clerkship?

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Auxilio wrote:

Don't you piss off your firm and run the risk of having no biglaw at all at the end of your clerkship?
I've never heard of a firm being upset. Most will extend your offer as long as you want (default date is May 1 I think, but if you ask for longer they'll let you usually). I think NALP mandates they hold it open until at least May 1.

An associate I worked with emailed me a month after SA and asked if I had a reason for not accepting, I told him that I planned on returning but just didn't want to commit without reason 1.5 years earlier. He said sounds good and I didn't hear anything else (except for an updated offer letter during the clerkship).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:22 pm

I missed a call from a district court judge, and he left a voicemail asking me to call him back ASAP. When I called back a few minutes later, the line was busy. I tried again 30 minutes later and the line was still busy. After that, I left a voicemail with his secretary trying to get in touch. A few hours later, the judge texted me and asked me to send my resume to his personal email (which I did, even though he already had my resume). Since then, I haven't heard anything from the judge. It's been three days. I'm worried that he might have moved on, am I being neurotic? Should I follow up?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:17 pm

If applying to a circuit court judge, is it at all advantageous to your application if you're clerking for a district court the next year or really just if you're coming to them after clerking at the district court?

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If applying to a circuit court judge, is it at all advantageous to your application if you're clerking for a district court the next year or really just if you're coming to them after clerking at the district court?
It's still valuable. Another judge chose you to be part of chambers. Not as valuable as if you did the D.Ct. before the COA, but still a boost.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:I missed a call from a district court judge, and he left a voicemail asking me to call him back ASAP. When I called back a few minutes later, the line was busy. I tried again 30 minutes later and the line was still busy. After that, I left a voicemail with his secretary trying to get in touch. A few hours later, the judge texted me and asked me to send my resume to his personal email (which I did, even though he already had my resume). Since then, I haven't heard anything from the judge. It's been three days. I'm worried that he might have moved on, am I being neurotic? Should I follow up?
I wouldn’t follow up at this point. He either has moved on or he hasn’t, and you can’t really do anything about it. He may well still plan to interview you and you’ll hear eventually, or he hasn’t decided anything yet, or he has decided to pass. Following up isn’t going to change any of those things, and asking for your resume by text isn’t something that really puts you in a position where you deserve a follow up (it’s not an interview. It’s a decent sign, but nothing more).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:11 pm

nixy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I missed a call from a district court judge, and he left a voicemail asking me to call him back ASAP. When I called back a few minutes later, the line was busy. I tried again 30 minutes later and the line was still busy. After that, I left a voicemail with his secretary trying to get in touch. A few hours later, the judge texted me and asked me to send my resume to his personal email (which I did, even though he already had my resume). Since then, I haven't heard anything from the judge. It's been three days. I'm worried that he might have moved on, am I being neurotic? Should I follow up?
I wouldn’t follow up at this point. He either has moved on or he hasn’t, and you can’t really do anything about it. He may well still plan to interview you and you’ll hear eventually, or he hasn’t decided anything yet, or he has decided to pass. Following up isn’t going to change any of those things, and asking for your resume by text isn’t something that really puts you in a position where you deserve a follow up (it’s not an interview. It’s a decent sign, but nothing more).
This is the author of the post you responded to. Thanks for your response, I agree with your breakdown of the situation, but it's nice to be reassured that my situation doesn't spell certain doom.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:26 pm

What is the procedure for updating CoA judges to whom I applied now that I have gotten a district court clerkship (I would love to do both)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:18 pm

Should incoming COA clerks expect paperwork or a background check form from their judge? I start in early September and haven't heard anything beyond confirming a start date several months ago.

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What is the procedure for updating CoA judges to whom I applied now that I have gotten a district court clerkship (I would love to do both)?
Just upload fresh materials to OSCAR if you applied that way—update your cover letter and resume. If you applied via paper, send that way.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”