Clerks Taking Questions Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
mjb447

Silver

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Post by mjb447 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:36 pm

+1 for it meaningfully increases your overall chances but will depend on the kinds of things FW listed.

OutCold

Bronze

Post by OutCold » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:05 am

The COA judge I ultimately clerked for called my district judge shortly after my interview. From what I gather, that was the deciding factor. My district was in the same circuit, so the judges were familiar with each other, though they had not had much contact previously.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:07 pm

Has anyone else been finding that their externs are woefully incompetent? I get that they're still in law school but jeez...

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone else been finding that their externs are woefully incompetent? I get that they're still in law school but jeez...
Yes. I mean, I don't really expect them to be a net positive in terms of productivity - they're very new to law, they're not in chambers long enough to learn how we do things, and it's supposed to be for their own education anyway. That said, I've had a surprising number who seemed unable to write a grammatically correct sentence.

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone else been finding that their externs are woefully incompetent? I get that they're still in law school but jeez...
2/5 were decent. 3/5 were so bad it was unbelievable.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jrf12886

Bronze

Post by jrf12886 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:48 pm

Yea, never once got my lunch or coffee.

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:07 pm

mjb447 wrote:I don't really expect them to be a net positive in terms of productivity
This has been my expectation and experience for the past 5+ years. Maybe one or two have been useful.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:25 pm

The clerks at my 1L judicial internship told me that the judge had had such a bad experience with 2 interns from U of Chicago the previous year that he nearly didn't take any interns that summer. (This is really just me egregiously gloating about the fact that the Chicago interns sucked but he ended up super happy with us plebs from the local school.)

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:19 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:The clerks at my 1L judicial internship told me that the judge had had such a bad experience with 2 interns from U of Chicago the previous year that he nearly didn't take any interns that summer. (This is really just me egregiously gloating about the fact that the Chicago interns sucked but he ended up super happy with us plebs from the local school.)
Was the problem poor work product? Or was it a personality thing?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:09 pm

rpupkin wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:The clerks at my 1L judicial internship told me that the judge had had such a bad experience with 2 interns from U of Chicago the previous year that he nearly didn't take any interns that summer. (This is really just me egregiously gloating about the fact that the Chicago interns sucked but he ended up super happy with us plebs from the local school.)
Was the problem poor work product? Or was it a personality thing?
I think there was a little bit of personality, but primarily they couldn't write at all (to be fair to the interns, my impression is that legal writing at Chicago is taught mostly (exclusively?) by fellows who are often more interested in/qualified for getting an academic job than the actual nitty gritty of teaching writing, so their training in legal writing sounds very hit or miss). And also to be fair, this is just what I was told - no idea how true it is.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:16 pm

Though to be fair, in general I think the quality between the local TT kids and T6 kids is pretty staggering. We get a lot of externs from the local school ranked 40-60, and they have writing samples that got As in their legal writing class that would have been B+s at best where I went to school.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Though to be fair, in general I think the quality between the local TT kids and T6 kids is pretty staggering. We get a lot of externs from the local school ranked 40-60, and they have writing samples that got As in their legal writing class that would have been B+s at best where I went to school.
Well, thanks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:21 pm

I didn't mean that as an insult to those who can actually write. Just making an observation about the relative writing abilities of the 2 populations writ large.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:31 pm

Plot twist: in my chambers, the best externs are the top kids from local schools, not the T6ers who worked here over the summer.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Plot twist: in my chambers, the best externs are the top kids from local schools, not the T6ers who worked here over the summer.
I wouldn't consider that surprising. This might rustle some jimmies, but I have a feeling that the top kids at decent law schools (basically, law schools that have some admission standards) are on par with the kids in the top 10% (and I'm being conservative) at top law schools.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Plot twist: in my chambers, the best externs are the top kids from local schools, not the T6ers who worked here over the summer.
Same.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:06 pm

I've never had the opportunity to observer the absolute top kids at the local schools. So far we've had guys in the top 20-30%. I'd gauge them as being slightly weaker than median T6ers.

But I wouldn't be surprised if the valedictorian/salutatorian at this level of school were comparable to T14 top 10% kids.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've never had the opportunity to observer the absolute top kids at the local schools. So far we've had guys in the top 20-30%. I'd gauge them as being slightly weaker than median T6ers.

But I wouldn't be surprised if the valedictorian/salutatorian at this level of school were comparable to T14 top 10% kids.
If we're talking #1 or #2 in their class, they're comparable to just about anyone. :lol:

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze

Post by FascinatedWanderer » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:28 pm

lavarman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've never had the opportunity to observer the absolute top kids at the local schools. So far we've had guys in the top 20-30%. I'd gauge them as being slightly weaker than median T6ers.

If we're talking #1 or #2 in their class, they're comparable to just about anyone. :lol:
I think that's true only up to a certain level of school. Below that, given the realities of grading on a curve, finishing #1 really doesn't say much given the low caliber of the competition.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:35 pm

FascinatedWanderer wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:

I think that's true only up to a certain level of school. Below that, given the realities of grading on a curve, finishing #1 really doesn't say much given the low caliber of the competition.
That was already stated earlier. Obviously, I'm not talking about schools that take anyone with a pulse like Cooley.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:41 pm

lavarman84 wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:

That was already stated earlier. Obviously, I'm not talking about schools that take anyone with a pulse like Cooley.
I think we just draw the line in different places. By my thinking, once you're outside the top 30 law schools and admissions rates creep into 40%+ you have to be well north of top 10% before your performance convinces me of your competence.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:

I think we just draw the line in different places. By my thinking, once you're outside the top 30 law schools and admissions rates creep into 40%+ you have to be well north of top 10% before your performance convinces me of your competence.
Why not the top 28 law schools and admissions rates above 37%? :lol:

You might have a preftige problem.

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze

Post by FascinatedWanderer » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:05 pm

lavarman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:

Why not the top 28 law schools and admissions rates above 37%? :lol:

You might have a preftige problem.

As a mental heuristic you have to draw the line somewhere. The fact of the matter is that huge chunk of law school students are those who had no idea what to do with their lives. They have massively inflated GPAs from bullshit majors like psychology or communications or "social studies" and on top of that a lot of them come from undergrad institutions that are less than rigorous.

So if a law school is accepting fully 40% of these applicants, well...

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:08 pm

FascinatedWanderer wrote:As a mental heuristic you have to draw the line somewhere. The fact of the matter is that huge chunk of law school students are those who had no idea what to do with their lives. They have massively inflated GPAs from bullshit majors like psychology or communications or "social studies" and on top of that a lot of them come from undergrad institutions that are less than rigorous.

Having to draw the line someone and drawing the line in an arbitrary manner for a bar as low as "competence" are two pretty different things.

But I'm not surprised people feel that way. It's a matter of perspective.

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze

Post by FascinatedWanderer » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:18 pm

lavarman84 wrote:
FascinatedWanderer wrote:As a mental heuristic you have to draw the line somewhere. The fact of the matter is that huge chunk of law school students are those who had no idea what to do with their lives. They have massively inflated GPAs from bullshit majors like psychology or communications or "social studies" and on top of that a lot of them come from undergrad institutions that are less than rigorous.

Having to draw the line someone and drawing the line in an arbitrary manner for a bar as low as "competence" are two pretty different things.

But I'm not surprised people feel that way. It's a matter of perspective.
To be clear, I didn't mean competence as a human being in some larger sense. I meant competence to do the work of the court and conduct legal analysis of sufficiently high quality.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”