Clerks Taking Questions Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:10 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I got a a voicemail last week with an interview request. Called back soon after and got the assistant/clerk who called me. We discussed possible interview dates and I asked if I could discuss with my SO bc of travel issues and then get back to them.
The next time this happens, say you can make it at the earliest interview date offered, and then figure out a way to make the logistics work.
Yeah, I realized earlier that was mistake #1. I'll do that if they call back/I get in touch.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got a a voicemail last week with an interview request. Called back soon after and got the assistant/clerk who called me. We discussed possible interview dates and I asked if I could discuss with my SO bc of travel issues and then get back to them. Assistant said that was fine. Very normal and polite interaction in line with most interview scheduling stuff.

I called back early on Monday and got voicemail (it was president's day, but the court wasn't closed per the website). Called this morning and got voicemail again, and didn't get a call back today.

Obviously, the assistant could be out of town or exceptionally busy or something, but this seems unusual to me. I'm wondering if they hired someone else or decided not to interview me for some reason.

Anyway, how often should I call back before giving up? Should I send a follow-up letter if I don't hear anything by the end of this week or some other point? I don't want to let the interview chance slip away, but I also don't want to be a pest.
I'd say if you left a voicemail (or two) you've done all you should do, but that's probably not the answer you want to hear.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:43 pm

mjb447 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I got a a voicemail last week with an interview request. Called back soon after and got the assistant/clerk who called me. We discussed possible interview dates and I asked if I could discuss with my SO bc of travel issues and then get back to them. Assistant said that was fine. Very normal and polite interaction in line with most interview scheduling stuff.

I called back early on Monday and got voicemail (it was president's day, but the court wasn't closed per the website). Called this morning and got voicemail again, and didn't get a call back today.

Obviously, the assistant could be out of town or exceptionally busy or something, but this seems unusual to me. I'm wondering if they hired someone else or decided not to interview me for some reason.

Anyway, how often should I call back before giving up? Should I send a follow-up letter if I don't hear anything by the end of this week or some other point? I don't want to let the interview chance slip away, but I also don't want to be a pest.
I'd say if you left a voicemail (or two) you've done all you should do, but that's probably not the answer you want to hear.
I just want a clear answer bc I clearly don't know what I'm doing. That answer seems to be don't do much more, if anything. Thanks to your/BVest's advice, I can at least avoid making a second mistake of being a nuisance.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
mjb447 wrote:

I just want a clear answer bc I clearly don't know what I'm doing. That answer seems to be don't do much more, if anything. Thanks to your/BVest's advice, I can at least avoid making a second mistake of being a nuisance.
Makes sense. And yeah, I think you've made your continuing interest clear - the ball's really in the judge's court now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:35 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I know a bunch of magistrate clerks who got district court clerkships after, although most of the time it was in the same
district where they did the magistrate clerkship.
mjb447 wrote:I'd just apply broadly and see what happens. Top 1% at almost any school could be competitive for Art. III clerkships (which includes district and circuit judges, BTW), but it's probably going to be pretty idiosyncratic (on top of how idiosyncratic clerkship hiring is to begin with) - for some judges your school might be a dealbreaker, and for others that won't be the case. CA/9th Cir. might be tough, though: they have their pick of a lot of students from very good schools.
Thanks for the feedback. I did have a magistrate interview in CD Cal and was told that if I would have had a few years of experience, I would have gotten the job, so that's something.

Would it be acceptable to apply now for the clerkships that require prior clerking experience, knowing that I'll have it by the time my next one would start up?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I know a bunch of magistrate clerks who got district court clerkships after, although most of the time it was in the same
mjb447 wrote:I'd just apply broadly and see what happens. Top 1% at almost any school could be competitive for Art. III clerkships (which includes district and circuit judges, BTW), but it's probably going to be pretty idiosyncratic (on top of how idiosyncratic clerkship hiring is to begin with) - for some judges your school might be a dealbreaker, and for others that won't be the case. CA/9th Cir. might be tough, though: they have their pick of a lot of students from very good schools.
Thanks for the feedback. I did have a magistrate interview in CD Cal and was told that if I would have had a few years of experience, I would have gotten the job, so that's something.

Would it be acceptable to apply now for the clerkships that require prior clerking experience, knowing that I'll have it by the time my next one would start up?
Sure, the timing is fine (just as long as the magistrate clerkship qualifies, although I might let the judge I'm applying to make that determination). You can list it on your cover letter or resume as an anticipated position.

clerk1251

Bronze

Post by clerk1251 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:

There's no problem in applying now. You can indicate on your resume the future clerkship. However, there are also benefits of waiting - such as a letter of rec from your Judge and a judicial work product writing sample. Still though, you can apply to some judges now, and apply to others later.

Echoing what others said, I think you'll have no trouble getting a district court clerkship after your magistrate clerkship. That is fairly typical. However, CA might be a little tough, so I would just apply broadly to any and all openings you see, assuming you'd be willing to relocate for a year to that city.

clerk1251

Bronze

Post by clerk1251 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:53 am

mjb447 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
mjb447 wrote:

Makes sense. And yeah, I think you've made your continuing interest clear - the ball's really in the judge's court now.
I agree with this and all the advice given on the matter thus far. Further, seeing as Monday was a federal holiday, I find it hard to believe that any federal court was open, regardless of what a website might have said. Even if, by some chance it was open, it's highly probably that the judge let her chambers take the day off. A lot of judges also travel around this time (my judge is out of town for the week, as are a number of other judges in my district). Stop over thinking the situation. Yes you should have taken the first interview slot available, but you didn't and there's nothing you can do about that now. You left a message, and they will get back to you when they get a chance. They aren't going to invite you for an interview and then just not return your call. Wait until at least next Tuesday, and then try calling back later in the day (after 4pm local time of wherever the chambers is). This will ensure that someone is likely at the phones and not in court or elsewhere. Then just say you wanted to follow up. No letters, and no other calls.

I know it seems like the biggest deal ever and you are over-analyzing every reason that they could possibly have for not calling you back the second they got your voicemail, but chambers are actually busy places and there are a lot of things higher on the totem pole.

Relax, and good luck.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:49 pm

clerk1251 wrote:eeing as Monday was a federal holiday, I find it hard to believe that any federal court was open, regardless of what a website might have said.
That's a good thing to note as a general matter when dealing with courts. Sometimes my court is "open" on federal holidays or the days surrounding them (like days linking Thanksgiving or Christmas to a weekend), but that just means for emergency matters or that there's an intake window open in the clerk's office. Most chambers staff take the day off.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:53 pm

mjb447 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
mjb447 wrote:

I'm going to just throw out that if this was my chambers, no one would have gotten your message. (The court was closed on President's Day, we're short staffed at the moment, and we're bad at checking the chambers voicemail.) We would probably follow up eventually, but combined with the lukewarm response to the offer to interview, we'd probably read it as less than enthusiastic. I don't think it hurts to call one more time and speak to a person (not leave another voicemail).

jrf12886

Bronze

Post by jrf12886 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:05 pm

Lincoln wrote:
mjb447 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
mjb447 wrote:

I'm going to just throw out that if this was my chambers, no one would have gotten your message. (The court was closed on President's Day, we're short staffed at the moment, and we're bad at checking the chambers voicemail.) We would probably follow up eventually, but combined with the lukewarm response to the offer to interview, we'd probably read it as less than enthusiastic. I don't think it hurts to call one more time and speak to a person (not leave another voicemail).
A word of advice going forward...don't leave a voicemail on the first call. Once you leave a voicemail, you look impatient if you call again. Instead, if you don't get an answer, hang up and call again in an hour or the next day. This way you can keep calling without them knowing you are the one who called ten times. You can eventually leave a voicemail if you can't get through after multiple calls. The other thing is that the JA or clerks may not check the voicemail regularly and you could slip through the cracks.

clerk1251

Bronze

Post by clerk1251 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:17 pm

jrf12886 wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
mjb447 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
mjb447 wrote:

A word of advice going forward...don't leave a voicemail on the first call. Once you leave a voicemail, you look impatient if you call again. Instead, if you don't get an answer, hang up and call again in an hour or the next day. This way you can keep calling without them knowing you are the one who called ten times. You can eventually leave a voicemail if you can't get through after multiple calls. The other thing is that the JA or clerks may not check the voicemail regularly and you could slip through the cracks.
I have no objections to this advice, I'd just add on to it that if you do employ this method, make sure you block your number. Dial *67 before the chambers phone number from your phone and it will just come up as "Unknown." Otherwise, all chambers phones have caller ID and will see who it is that keeps calling, and that doesn't look good.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:34 pm

I think I'll just not apply for clerkships from here on out.

(mostly joking)

But I do appreciate the advice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:54 pm

You could also send an email tomorrow (Friday) just to follow-up in case your message slipped through the cracks. Like others said, they were probably not in Chambers on Monday.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:42 pm

For anyone curious about how this turned out: I got another interview request from a different judge in the same town, accepted the interview on the date they proposed, then called once more to notify the original judge that I'd be in town on X date and could interview then. The assistant for the original judge answered this time and I scheduled the interview. Ended up getting the offer.

Don't know if what I did was right or if it will work elsewhere, but being persistent (though not super-annoying) paid off in this particular circumstance. Obviously just picking a day on the initial phone call would have prevented my situation entirely, so clearly that's the best practice.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

For anyone curious about how this turned out: I got another interview request from a different judge in the same town, accepted the interview on the date they proposed, then called once more to notify the original judge that I'd be in town on X date and could interview then. The assistant for the original judge answered this time and I scheduled the interview. Ended up getting the offer.

Don't know if what I did was right or if it will work elsewhere, but being persistent (though not super-annoying) paid off in this particular circumstance. Obviously just picking a day on the initial phone call would have prevented my situation entirely, so clearly that's the best practice.
Having a reason to follow up (besides simply following up) is always a good play. Glad it worked out well.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Nice work, and congratulations!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:59 pm

Thank you both!

Moonraker

New

Post by Moonraker » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:55 pm

MurdockLLP wrote:
Moonraker wrote:SDNY/DE Bk. Clerk jumping in
When did you apply for your clerkship? What do you think most helped set you apart in your application? Do you have your post-clerkship position locked down?
I applied as a 3L, and my transcript and resume showed my interest in bankruptcy. I will be at a Biglaw firm after my clerkship.

I can say that having a specific interest in bankruptcy will be better than top grades (to a point; I think someone who is say top third but with strong bankruptcy grades at say Duke will beat out someone who is median at HYS but I am not sure they would beat HYS + LR, would depend on judge and other factors at that point; with bad grades in bankruptcy courses raising eyebrows). Take bankruptcy, secured transactions, and try to intern for a bankruptcy judge.

I think for Delaware, having ties will be a slight bump as many Delaware judges either are from/worked in Delaware firms; I don't think having NY ties will be a significant bump for NY judges (but it could give you something to talk about as many of the NY judges are from/worked in NY).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:21 pm

If I don't get an offer right after the interview, does that mean I'm out? My understanding is that offers are usually given after the interview? or no?

clerk1251

Bronze

Post by clerk1251 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If I don't get an offer right after the interview, does that mean I'm out? My understanding is that offers are usually given after the interview? or no?
Not necessarily, at all. It really varies from Judge to Judge, but it is not uncommon to hear weeks or months later. This is especially true if you are applying for a term that is multiple years out.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:39 pm

clerk1251 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If I don't get an offer right after the interview, does that mean I'm out? My understanding is that offers are usually given after the interview? or no?
Not necessarily, at all. It really varies from Judge to Judge, but it is not uncommon to hear weeks or months later. This is especially true if you are applying for a term that is multiple years out.
My answer would vary between no (if you're asking about a delay of, say, a week or two) and definitely no (if you're asking about on-the-spot offers or those extended within a few hours of the interview).

clerk1251 is right. There's really no rhyme or reason - it can vary from term to term and judge to judge. Don't read anything into it.

alabamashake12

New

Post by alabamashake12 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:29 pm

Seeking some advice.

Somewhere between top 15-20 percent at CCN, secondary journal. Have been applying for roughly a year unsuccessfully. Would like to live in the northeast area so probably being pickier than I should be (EDVA, EDNY, SDNY, DMD), but have had professors with relationships make calls to no avail.

Am I wasting my time applying in these districts? I don't want to apply elsewhere for personal reasons. Please don't quote. Thanks in advance.

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:38 pm

To alabamashakes: Your stats wouldn't put you out of the running in my SDNY chambers, but you probably need something to make you stand out from the crowd. Work experience somewhere impressive, rec from someone my judge respects (judge, former clerk, etc.) or maybe significant pre-law school credentials.

ETA to clarify the court.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:58 am

for those that got offers: did you come out of the interview thinking you would get an offer?

with big law interviews, i always kind of knew how the interview went and I could accurately predict whether i would get a CB or offer with some level of certainty (maybe 85% accuracy).

I realize there are way fewer clerkship positions than big law associate positions so this may not be true for clerkships. But for those with clerkship offers, did you basically come out of interviewing thinking that you rocked it ?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”