Clerks Taking Questions Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
mjb447

Silver

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Post by mjb447 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I applied to a last minute opening for a 2017 D. Court clerkship. Judge only accepted paper apps and I mailed my app in about a week before the interview date. Didn't hear anything but it was probably too late so I didn't think much of it.

I just noticed a 2018 opening for the same judge on OSCAR. Should I send in another paper app? My cover letter for the first app said I was looking for a 2017 clerkship.
Why not? Even absent the extra wrinkles in your story, if you had applied to that judge in the past and hadn't interviewed I'd still probably encourage you to apply to any new openings (particularly if you've looked at the bios of past clerks and it's not obvious that you're not competitive). The extra details just heighten the possibility that the judge didn't see your app early enough and didn't keep your app around because you'd only expressed interest in 2017.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:35 pm

mjb447 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I applied to a last minute opening for a 2017 D. Court clerkship. Judge only accepted paper apps and I mailed my app in about a week before the interview date. Didn't hear anything but it was probably too late so I didn't think much of it.

I just noticed a 2018 opening for the same judge on OSCAR. Should I send in another paper app? My cover letter for the first app said I was looking for a 2017 clerkship.
Why not? Even absent the extra wrinkles in your story, if you had applied to that judge in the past and hadn't interviewed I'd still probably encourage you to apply to any new openings (particularly if you've looked at the bios of past clerks and it's not obvious that you're not competitive). The extra details just heighten the possibility that the judge didn't see your app early enough and didn't keep your app around because you'd only expressed interest in 2017.
Yeah, I don't see this as any different than applying to the same judge for different clerkship years.

clerk1251

Bronze

Post by clerk1251 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:19 pm

Yes, apply again. Don't worry about what your previous cover letter said.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:48 pm

Question re: start dates: I have a clerkship for 2018-2019 that starts in September, but we haven't talked about the specifics yet. Does this mean I should be avoiding 2019-2020 postings that have a start date in August? Or can I apply to everything, and then just reach out to my judge if I end up getting an interview / offer?

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Question re: start dates: I have a clerkship for 2018-2019 that starts in September, but we haven't talked about the specifics yet. Does this mean I should be avoiding 2019-2020 postings that have a start date in August? Or can I apply to everything, and then just reach out to my judge if I end up getting an interview / offer?
I'm in the same boat. I'm applying to everything. I figure I'll talk to my judge before I take an interview to clear it with him if there might be overlap.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Question re: start dates: I have a clerkship for 2018-2019 that starts in September, but we haven't talked about the specifics yet. Does this mean I should be avoiding 2019-2020 postings that have a start date in August? Or can I apply to everything, and then just reach out to my judge if I end up getting an interview / offer?
YMMV, but I'd probably apply to 2019-20 positions with an August start date. Leaving a bit before your term is up and staying a little after your term would otherwise end are both relatively common, and a lot of judges (maybe most?) are flexible about a gap of that size. Before you interview you're also unlikely to know whether the posted start date for each 2019-20 position is flexible, and what looks like a month-long gap may turn out to be reducible to much less by moving the end and start dates a little. You don't want to preemptively take yourself out of the running for lots of positions by relying on start/end dates that turn out to be tentative. (I also don't think there's anything wrong with confirming now that your 2018-19 end date is flexible; I just always found it easier to broach the subject with a pending interview, and it may be too far in advance for your 2018-19 judge to have any opinion on it.)

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sun May 07, 2017 7:46 am

I just saw Judge Browning from New Mexico hires a full-time half-pay law clerk. How? Why would someone do that? Why would he do that to someone?

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Sun May 07, 2017 9:11 am

lawman84 wrote:I just saw Judge Browning from New Mexico hires a full-time half-pay law clerk. How? Why would someone do that? Why would he do that to someone?
Because someone will do it, I guess (full time postgrad volunteer clerkships also seem to be more common than they used to be). Maybe he needs extra help writing his monstrously long opinions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 07, 2017 12:25 pm

How much can I expect health insurance to cost me a month? Assuming single and wanting one of the cheaper gov't plans

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

polareagle

Bronze

Post by polareagle » Sun May 07, 2017 2:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How much can I expect health insurance to cost me a month? Assuming single and wanting one of the cheaper gov't plans
https://www.opm.gov/healthcare-insuranc ... are-plans/

You are non-postal, biweekly. Enter the zip code of your judge's chambers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 08, 2017 9:52 am

I secured a clerkship for circuit clerkship for 2019-20, but still have some 2018-19 district court clerkships out. I would really like to clerk for a district court during the 2018-19 year. How do I update my application to let those judges know that I have secured a COA clerkship following their term? Or is this not necessary / a bad idea? I thought about calling chambers and letting the clerk know or asking the clerk how to go about it, but OSCAR says do not contact chambers.

Thanks!

grand inquisitor

Gold

Post by grand inquisitor » Mon May 08, 2017 11:07 am

if its for a different year and there's no particular reason to think the date lineups will be an issue, there's no reason to tell these judges you got a follow up clerkship

polareagle

Bronze

Post by polareagle » Mon May 08, 2017 11:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:I secured a clerkship for circuit clerkship for 2019-20, but still have some 2018-19 district court clerkships out. I would really like to clerk for a district court during the 2018-19 year. How do I update my application to let those judges know that I have secured a COA clerkship following their term? Or is this not necessary / a bad idea? I thought about calling chambers and letting the clerk know or asking the clerk how to go about it, but OSCAR says do not contact chambers.

Thanks!
IMHO, you should definitely update; it will make you a more attractive candidate.
(Obviously not be because you'll have learned anything via a future clerkship but rather because it means some judge--a COA judge no less--has already screened your credentials and liked you enough to hire you.)

As for how to update, en email for emailed applications (reply to your original); a letter with an updated resume to your mailed applications. I don't really remember how OSCAR worked (got my clerkships via paper), but is there a way to submit an update? Or just resubmit the application.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 08, 2017 11:58 am

IMHO, you should definitely update; it will make you a more attractive candidate.
This is why I thought to update. I applied via OSCAR so I was thinking of resubmitting my original cover letter but tweaking it to include something along the lines of "I recently applied. I am writing to update my app. etc."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 08, 2017 12:00 pm

As for how to update, en email for emailed applications (reply to your original); a letter with an updated resume to your mailed applications. I don't really remember how OSCAR worked (got my clerkships via paper), but is there a way to submit an update? Or just resubmit the application.
Unfortunately, no (at least not that I know of). I was hoping there was an update comment box or something like that. Hence why I am going the cover letter route.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Mon May 08, 2017 12:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Unfortunately, no (at least not that I know of). I was hoping there was an update comment box or something like that. Hence why I am going the cover letter route.
When I was applying, there was an "edit" button available on finalized applications for the purpose of providing updates (generally new resume, new grades, but could also have worked for a cover letter I think). See http://oscar.uscourts.gov/assets/applicant-guide.pdf at p.19. Not sure if it still works that way, though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 08, 2017 12:42 pm

When I was applying, there was an "edit" button available on finalized applications for the purpose of providing updates (generally new resume, new grades, but could also have worked for a cover letter I think). See http://oscar.uscourts.gov/assets/applicant-guide.pdf at p.19. Not sure if it still works that way, though.
Thanks for the PDF. I ended up submitting a new cover letter. Mostly the same, but I edited the first paragraph to address the update.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 08, 2017 7:22 pm

mjb447 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Will judges give you a hard rejection at some point if you've interviewed?

I interviewed with a district court judge some time ago but haven't heard anything back (a month ish). Wondering if I'll ever get a hard no.
A "hard rejection" is the norm if you've interviewed, and a month's passing doesn't mean that you're out of contention yet. Of course, sometimes things do fall through the cracks. I have a friend who waited several months for a response post-interview and, when he eventually called chambers, they told him the position was filled a long time ago. (They acknowledged that they should've gotten back to him, but they also told him he should've "gotten the hint." :? ) I think that's very, very unusual for people who have been interviewed, though, and I don't think you're in that position yet.
Nearing two months now. Is it worth calling chambers or would I just end up being annoying?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 08, 2017 8:23 pm

polareagle wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How much can I expect health insurance to cost me a month? Assuming single and wanting one of the cheaper gov't plans
https://www.opm.gov/healthcare-insuranc ... are-plans/

You are non-postal, biweekly. Enter the zip code of your judge's chambers.
This was so, so, so, helpful. Thank you.

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Mon May 08, 2017 8:45 pm

lawman84 wrote:I just saw Judge Browning from New Mexico hires a full-time half-pay law clerk. How? Why would someone do that? Why would he do that to someone?
He's probably splitting one of his staff positions into two, maybe a part-time judicial assistant and a full-time half-pay clerk. Pretty mercenary, but I doubt there's much of a shortage of people who didn't have a shot at a clerkship and willing to swallow their pride. $30k for the year is livable in that part of the country, though not comfortable, and at the end you get the same line on your resume as everyone else. Still, I would feel like shit working with two other clerks doing the same job but literally making double than me.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Mon May 08, 2017 9:03 pm

anon sequitur wrote:
He's probably splitting one of his staff positions into two, maybe a part-time judicial assistant and a full-time half-pay clerk. Pretty mercenary, but I doubt there's much of a shortage of people who didn't have a shot at a clerkship and willing to swallow their pride. $30k for the year is livable in that part of the country, though not comfortable, and at the end you get the same line on your resume as everyone else. Still, I would feel like shit working with two other clerks doing the same job but literally making double than me.
I guess he sees it as generous.(giving a person who wouldn't otherwise have a clerkship a clerkship) I am just not a fan of it. But he's a judge. I'm a law student. My opinion doesn't really matter.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2017 12:03 pm

Just wondering, but how does the SCOTUS clerk hiring process work? Do candidates send in their apps and then the professors reach out? Or is there no "application" until the Justice and Professor speak? I find the image of SCOTUS judges sifting through applications hilarious so it just made me think about how it actually works.

I am just genuinely curious and not actually seeking advice on how to apply. Please dont say, "if you have to ask..."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2017 12:38 pm

lawman84 wrote:
anon sequitur wrote:
I guess he sees it as generous.(giving a person who wouldn't otherwise have a clerkship a clerkship) I am just not a fan of it. But he's a judge. I'm a law student. My opinion doesn't really matter.
Yeah, what I find weird is less that he solicits someone to work for half-pay and more that the half-pay and full-pay clerks do the same work. That must create an incredibly strange dynamic--as a full-pay clerk I would feel uncomfortable and kind of guilty that my colleague is making half my salary. I wonder why he doesn't just hire three 2/3 pay clerks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2017 1:05 pm

I honestly wonder if that was a mistake, because there's a new posting dated yesterday for a full-time full-pay clerk, and there isn't a listing for a half-pay one.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Tue May 09, 2017 1:09 pm

That listing may have been a mistake, but I'm pretty sure he does hire a half-time term clerk as well.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”