University of Richmond Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
jonp713

New

University of Richmond Class of 2016

Post by jonp713 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:36 pm

Hey, I accepted an offer from Richmond, I'm trying to meet other students in the class!

North

Gold

Re: University of Richmond Class of 2016

Post by North » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:52 pm

Carter N

New

Post by Carter N » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:49 pm

In for the long haul

jahacopo2221

New

Post by jahacopo2221 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:52 pm

Yep, yep, yep! UR Class of 2016!! Committed, deposited, and I've finally withdrawn my previous commitment to RWU. Excited to move to Richmond in a few weeks. It'll be nice to see the stuff I put in storage two years ago, plus get to finally open and use my brand new TV and surround sound system, lol! Can't wait to meet everyone I haven't met yet in August! :mrgreen:

psb22

New

Post by psb22 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:07 am

Excited to start in August, seems like a great place.

Where is everybody living?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jahacopo2221

New

Post by jahacopo2221 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:28 am

psb22 wrote:
Where is everybody living?
I'll be living 7 miles from campus just outside the city in Chesterfield County. St John's Wood. Move in on July 24 so I can get settled before the fun starts.

Carter N

New

Post by Carter N » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:45 pm

I am in the West End/Tuckahoe area in the "Village at Horsepen" which is a mile or two from the school.

psb22

New

Post by psb22 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:47 am

Awesome, I am at the Estates at Horsepen

Carter N

New

Post by Carter N » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:57 pm

psb22 wrote:Awesome, I am at the Estates at Horsepen
Nice! nice to meet you neighbor

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jahacopo2221

New

Post by jahacopo2221 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:27 pm

Went to pick up my ID card on Monday, and Dean Rahman said they hoped to have the sections assigned and sent out by this week or next. I'm figuring with the holiday, it'll be next week, so keep your eyes peeled then! Can't wait to find out who I'll be suffering alongside! :wink:

jonp713

New

Post by jonp713 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:59 am

jahacopo2221 wrote:Went to pick up my ID card on Monday, and Dean Rahman said they hoped to have the sections assigned and sent out by this week or next. I'm figuring with the holiday, it'll be next week, so keep your eyes peeled then! Can't wait to find out who I'll be suffering alongside! :wink:
Wow, I should absolutely check a thread I start more often! Dean Rahman told me sections will be sent out on the 10th at the latest. I'm living at Tuckernuck Trail, its in the west end, its a tiny complex and I'll probably be the only Richmond student there, but it was cheap (Between 50 and 100 less per month), the apartments are bigger than most places, its in good shape, and its close to everything!

I'm actually finishing a masters degree, so I won't be moving until the 17th of August. I'm not on here much but feel free to add me on Facebook (We're trying to get them to set up an accepted students page), I'm Jon Panofsky, or e-mail me at Jonp713@gmail.com

Carter N

New

Post by Carter N » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:46 am

jonp713 wrote:
jahacopo2221 wrote:Went to pick up my ID card on Monday, and Dean Rahman said they hoped to have the sections assigned and sent out by this week or next. I'm figuring with the holiday, it'll be next week, so keep your eyes peeled then! Can't wait to find out who I'll be suffering alongside! :wink:
Wow, I should absolutely check a thread I start more often! Dean Rahman told me sections will be sent out on the 10th at the latest. I'm living at Tuckernuck Trail, its in the west end, its a tiny complex and I'll probably be the only Richmond student there, but it was cheap (Between 50 and 100 less per month), the apartments are bigger than most places, its in good shape, and its close to everything!

I'm actually finishing a masters degree, so I won't be moving until the 17th of August. I'm not on here much but feel free to add me on Facebook (We're trying to get them to set up an accepted students page), I'm Jon Panofsky, or e-mail me at Jonp713@gmail.com

I have created a Facebook Group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/543059105758453/

tony2167

Bronze

Post by tony2167 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:29 pm

Looking forward to meeting everyone. I'll be living in the Museum District. Can't wait for the semester to start!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

milljp02

Bronze

Post by milljp02 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:15 pm

Rising 2L here - slow day at work, I'll check back here and see if I can help with any Richmond pointers. Congrats on picking Richmond Law, I think you'll be very pleased!

FWIW, about half our class is in the fan/carytown/vcu/city areas and the other half is west end/southside/more suburban locations. Most folks seem pretty pleased with where they're at. I'm a few years older and married (i.e., no fun) and we love our apt. in the west end (Canterbury Square). A number of my classmates live at Canterbury or in one of the complexes or rental houses nearby. If you have a car you're basically never more than 15-20 minutes (at the most) from school or the city no matter where you wind up living. I would advise staying on the school side (North) of the river as the bridges can be a mess in the mornings and you will 100% guaranteed have morning classes.

Best of luck! Like I said, I'll check back and see if y'all have any questions I can help answer.

bsktbll28082

Silver

Post by bsktbll28082 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:15 am

Anyone getting ebooks instead of the actually casebooks? I've heard buying brand new casebooks is kind of a waste. Plus, you really don't read them thoroughly. Or so I've heard.

I saw the eventbrite on the facebook page. Are we suppose to volunteer the first week at some project?

milljp02

Bronze

Post by milljp02 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:24 am

bsktbll28082 wrote:Anyone getting ebooks instead of the actually casebooks? I've heard buying brand new casebooks is kind of a waste. Plus, you really don't read them thoroughly. Or so I've heard.
From personal experience, there's no way I could have done my first year with ebooks. I'm not sure any of the casebooks even have ebook versions. Your supplemental reading might be doable on ebook, but you will almost certainly want to highlight and take notes in your casebooks. This is why a lot of people bite the bullet and spring for new books instead of used ones, often times the used ones have copious highlighting and notes that may or may not be distracting, it just depends on your ability to tune that stuff out. Lastly, some professors ban laptops and I imagine that would include tablets/e-readers, but e-mail your professor to find out.

TL;DR - Try the physical versions of your casebooks first semester, and once you know how you use the book (highlight/no highlight, margin notes/no notes) you can change to e-books 2nd semester.

Carter N

New

Post by Carter N » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:48 pm

milljp02 wrote:Rising 2L here - slow day at work, I'll check back here and see if I can help with any Richmond pointers. Congrats on picking Richmond Law, I think you'll be very pleased!
What kind of job opportunities are there after 1L? Would you say many people find paid work (relevant to the law) or is it unpaid or no work at all?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

milljp02

Bronze

Post by milljp02 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:43 pm

Carter N wrote: What kind of job opportunities are there after 1L? Would you say many people find paid work (relevant to the law) or is it unpaid or no work at all?
There are plenty of opportunities to do something law-related. Paid opportunities are awfully hard to find for 1Ls these days, but that's not unexpected nor is it a reflection on the school. I know a few classmates with particular talents that found niche work (i.e. a couple multilingual folks got paid work at an immigration firm, some classmates who met certain diversity requirements ranging from military vets to LGBT folks were able to take advantage of diversity initiatives by local firms). Outside of those specialties you need to have the 1st semester grades (top 25% should make you competitive) and/or know somebody.

Keep in mind, that's all for the paid work. There are lots of gov't/nonprofit options and the school offers a summer stipend (this year it was $2500 for the summer) if you do unpaid non-profit/public sector work. There is a public sector OCI session in Feb. and maybe half of the public sector jobs are obtained through this program. The other half are good old-fashioned hustle - lots of cover letter/resume mailings.

TL;DR You can find something law-related if you put in the effort. Something paid will require top grades or connections (both never hurts).

Carter N

New

Post by Carter N » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:50 pm

milljp02 wrote:
Carter N wrote:
TL;DR You can find something law-related if you put in the effort. Something paid will require top grades or connections (both never hurts).
Would you say the job you hold after 1L is indicative of how well you'll do in the job market after graduating?

milljp02

Bronze

Post by milljp02 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:25 pm

Carter N wrote:
Would you say the job you hold after 1L is indicative of how well you'll do in the job market after graduating?
Not really. As a 1L you pretty much take what you can get. The point of the 1L job is really to gain law-related experience. It's also a great opportunity to try an area of law that you're curious about. If you're gung-ho about prosecuting, try to get a public defender internship or vice-versa. Not sure what interests you? Try clerking for a small/medium general practice firm (that's what I'm doing). 2L summer jobs are much more relevant to what you'll do after graduating than 1L jobs.

Carter N

New

Post by Carter N » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:26 pm

milljp02 wrote:
Carter N wrote:
Not really. As a 1L you pretty much take what you can get. The point of the 1L job is really to gain law-related experience. It's also a great opportunity to try an area of law that you're curious about. If you're gung-ho about prosecuting, try to get a public defender internship or vice-versa. Not sure what interests you? Try clerking for a small/medium general practice firm (that's what I'm doing). 2L summer jobs are much more relevant to what you'll do after graduating than 1L jobs.
I already have a job offer for the summer after 1L with a prominent defense attorney (my current boss) in the Richmond area. I just don't want to limit my options later on because I am not sure I want to practice criminal defense.

milljp02

Bronze

Post by milljp02 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:31 am

Carter N wrote: I already have a job offer for the summer after 1L with a prominent defense attorney (my current boss) in the Richmond area. I just don't want to limit my options later on because I am not sure I want to practice criminal defense.
No, that won't limit you at all. Obviously it will be helpful if you wind up wanting to do criminal work, but it won't hurt you if you want to do something else. 1L jobs are valuable for helping you decide what you don't want to practice as well as for helping you decide what you do want to practice. Sounds like you're already golden for 1L summer, congrats!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”