University of Florida Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
slawww

Silver

University of Florida Class of 2016

Post by slawww » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:02 pm

Didn't see a UF thread, so I though I'd start one. I have officially decided I will be attending, and thought this would be a good way for everyone who will be attending to talk about housing, books, etc. without clogging up the waiting thread.

gameface

New

Re: University of Florida Class of 2016

Post by gameface » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:36 pm

Thanks for starting this slawww...I haven't put my seat deposit in yet, but I am likely attending as well. I live in close proximity to Gainesville, so hoping to make a trip up soon to do some apartment scouting. I was originally planning on doing this on Admitted Students Day...but I didn't realize it was an all day affair.

slawww

Silver

Post by slawww » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:14 pm

gameface wrote:Thanks for starting this slawww...I haven't put my seat deposit in yet, but I am likely attending as well. I live in close proximity to Gainesville, so hoping to make a trip up soon to do some apartment scouting. I was originally planning on doing this on Admitted Students Day...but I didn't realize it was an all day affair.
Same! I went to one ASD before and it was only a couple of hours. I'm leaning towards The Continuum, it looks really new and includes everything. I looked at a lot of different apartments in Gainesville, and a lot of them look older/kinda out-dated. And I definitely want to make sure I'm not living near undergrads.

Suzy_29

New

Post by Suzy_29 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:37 pm

I was wondering if anyone can tell me about how the facilities are? I am geographically challenged, being in Canada and all, but I'm currently about 95% sure I'm joining everyone in the fall! I really want to visit, but gotta save money for tuition! :cry:

slawww

Silver

Post by slawww » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:46 pm

Suzy_29 wrote:I was wondering if anyone can tell me about how the facilities are? I am geographically challenged, being in Canada and all, but I'm currently about 95% sure I'm joining everyone in the fall! I really want to visit, but gotta save money for tuition! :cry:
I'm from Florida, but I've never seen the campus before. I am going to the ASD coming up and I'll take some pictures. I'm sure there's someone on here who can give some insight into the facilities better :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bronze

Post by 1693 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:25 pm

Thanks for making this and congrats Slawww on your decision. I also have decided to attend UF and look forward to moving to Gainesville!

Bronze

Post by 1693 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:32 pm

Suzy_29 wrote:I was wondering if anyone can tell me about how the facilities are? I am geographically challenged, being in Canada and all, but I'm currently about 95% sure I'm joining everyone in the fall! I really want to visit, but gotta save money for tuition! :cry:
I can't speak about the facilities of the law school firsthand, but everyone I know who has attended the school has been satisfied with them. I've always thought the campus was great every time I visited, though. I am sure you'll love it - and no snow haha.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:47 pm

I enjoy how they pimp the hell out of the photo in the OP even though in two years I've been in that area around eight times.

slawww

Silver

Post by slawww » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:23 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:I enjoy how they pimp the hell out of the photo in the OP even though in two years I've been in that area around eight times.
Hahaha, yeah it looks Instagrammed.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ufbhoy67

New

Post by ufbhoy67 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:24 pm

If anyone needs help selecting an apartment complex, I can try to help as much as possible. I'm signed up for Oxford Manor with 2 friends. It's pretty cheap (about $425 each for a joint-lease, more for individual leases) and there are no upstairs/downstairs neighbors. Downside is that it isn't on a direct bus route to the Law School.

Whatever you do, do not sign at University Commons. It's the cheapest place in town, but there's a reason for that. I'm living there now during a year off between undergrad/grad school, but if I had to do any kind of studying this year, I would not be very successful.

gameface

New

Post by gameface » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:07 pm

I took a campus tour a while back ago. Many of their facilities have been recently renovated. Library is huge...and has a lot of natural light, which is always nice. It's tucked away from the center campus and has its own parking area, so you aren't competing with the other 40,000+ students. Their cafe area looked like it was lacking, but this doesn't matter too much to me. I'll probably be packing PB&Js for the next three years.

Gainesville has a good vibe, at least I think so. The downtown area is quaint and isn't too far from the law school. All in all, Gainesville seems like a great place to go to school.

gameface

New

Post by gameface » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:17 pm

slawww wrote:
gameface wrote:Thanks for starting this slawww...I haven't put my seat deposit in yet, but I am likely attending as well. I live in close proximity to Gainesville, so hoping to make a trip up soon to do some apartment scouting. I was originally planning on doing this on Admitted Students Day...but I didn't realize it was an all day affair.
Same! I went to one ASD before and it was only a couple of hours. I'm leaning towards The Continuum, it looks really new and includes everything. I looked at a lot of different apartments in Gainesville, and a lot of them look older/kinda out-dated. And I definitely want to make sure I'm not living near undergrads.

I hear you ... Continuum looks like a nice deal. Not only does it look new and clean, but it is also right next to the main strip of downtown, which is pretty cool.

eas09d

New

Post by eas09d » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:41 pm

gameface wrote:
slawww wrote:

I hear you ... Continuum looks like a nice deal. Not only does it look new and clean, but it is also right next to the main strip of downtown, which is pretty cool.
Does anyone know how much rent is for a 2/2 at the Continuum? And is it furnished?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

slawww

Silver

Post by slawww » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:19 pm

eas09d wrote:
gameface wrote:
slawww wrote:

Does anyone know how much rent is for a 2/2 at the Continuum? And is it furnished?
Hey, eas; so we're both in, at last! If you send them an e-mail, they'll get back to you and tell you the price. I'm looking at the studio, which although really small, seems like a good deal to me at 863/month. They come furnished and include electricity, water, internet. I'm also interested in The Continuum because it's only for grad students, and I really want to make sure I'm not living with any undergrads. Are you looking for a roommate?

Bronze

Post by 1693 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:55 am

eas09d wrote:

I'd be interesting in hearing how much this is when you find out! I also am looking to rent a 2/2 (or something similar) and looking for a roommate.

eas09d

New

Post by eas09d » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:41 am

Same! I went to one ASD before and it was only a couple of hours. I'm leaning towards The Continuum, it looks really new and includes everything. I looked at a lot of different apartments in Gainesville, and a lot of them look older/kinda out-dated. And I definitely want to make sure I'm not living near undergrads.[/quote]

I hear you ... Continuum looks like a nice deal. Not only does it look new and clean, but it is also right next to the main strip of downtown, which is pretty cool.[/quote]

Does anyone know how much rent is for a 2/2 at the Continuum? And is it furnished?[/quote]

Hey, eas; so we're both in, at last! If you send them an e-mail, they'll get back to you and tell you the price. I'm looking at the studio, which although really small, seems like a good deal to me at 863/month. They come furnished and include electricity, water, internet. I'm also interested in The Continuum because it's only for grad students, and I really want to make sure I'm not living with any undergrads. Are you looking for a roommate?[/quote]

So excited for us!! lol. I'm staying there for free for ASD (if you're going for an official grad school visit you can stay for free) so I guess I'll ask then but I thought maybe someone on here might know! I might be looking for a roommate, yes; my long-term boyfriend is still waiting for hear back from UF so if he get's in we're probably going to live together. But if he doesn't hear for a while (like if he's waitlisted and might not hear back until summer) I'm probably going to want to find a roommate. I'm on a budget so I don't want al of the "good deals" to be gone by the time I would might one!

Florida2013

New

Post by Florida2013 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:39 pm

How many people are thinking of getting a 1BR apartment? It's so expensive but I don't know if I want to risk ending up with a horrible roommate my 1L year.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jangag

New

Post by jangag » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:22 pm

I'm renting a cot in the basement of the library. Ha!

Anyone know of a part of town that is not undergrad? Any neighborhoods within half an hour? Thanks.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:22 pm

jangag wrote:I'm renting a cot in the basement of the library. Ha!

Anyone know of a part of town that is not undergrad? Any neighborhoods within half an hour? Thanks.
Across the street.

slawww

Silver

Post by slawww » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:37 pm

Florida2013 wrote:How many people are thinking of getting a 1BR apartment? It's so expensive but I don't know if I want to risk ending up with a horrible roommate my 1L year.
I had been having this same dilemma, but I decided I'm going to get a 1BR for 1L. With the importance of 1L, it's just not worth the risk of having a roommate I don't get along with, and having that add to my stress levels. I think it's worth the extra money, for me at least, to get a 1BR.

I plan on getting a roomate/s for 2L and 3L after I have already met people I'd be compatible with to save money. For me, it's not worth the $$ 1L.

eas09d

New

Post by eas09d » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:13 pm

slawww wrote:
Florida2013 wrote:How many people are thinking of getting a 1BR apartment? It's so expensive but I don't know if I want to risk ending up with a horrible roommate my 1L year.
I had been having this same dilemma, but I decided I'm going to get a 1BR for 1L. With the importance of 1L, it's just not worth the risk of having a roommate I don't get along with, and having that add to my stress levels. I think it's worth the extra money, for me at least, to get a 1BR.

I plan on getting a roomate/s for 2L and 3L after I have already met people I'd be compatible with to save money. For me, it's not worth the $$ 1L.
Yeah I'm concerned about that too, but I'm hoping to meet some nice people at ASD in the event I do decide to get a place with a roommate. I feel like if we both have the same goals and similar schedules, it's more likely to be a successful living situation.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bronze

Post by 1693 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:48 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:

Across the street.
I don't know why but this cracked me up.

FTH any recommendation as to when most apartments go up for lease in Gainesville?

flaw2016

New

Post by flaw2016 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:35 pm

sofl_law

New

Post by sofl_law » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:01 am

1693 wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:

Across the street.
I don't know why but this cracked me up.

FTH any recommendation as to when most apartments go up for lease in Gainesville?
Most apartments that are geared towards students in Gainesville pre-lease for August starting in January or even before at times. It's a super early leasing season. So unless you're trying to lease somewhere that's not generally for students you should be able to lease early and it's usually recommended. I went to undergrad at UF so that's how I know about that! lol.

sofl_law

New

Post by sofl_law » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:09 am

The facilities are really nice! The classrooms are really updated for the most part and the new courtroom is awesome. The old one that they have gives me the creeps because it's really dark and outdated but it still function like it needs to. The library is extremely quiet and very nice to study in. People give you dirty looks if you make a sound lol.

Again, I went to UF for undergrad and I was pre-law so I took many tours and did a couple mock trial tournaments there. I've also had meetings and classes held in the classrooms and I had a crash course in legal research in the library. I spent 4 or 5 hours doing research for a pre-law paper and I can say that the librarians are a GREAT help!

I haven't been in the cafeteria but it looks nice from the outside if that counts? Overall, the first time I went to the law school I was a little overwhelmed because I felt a sort of intimidated because it gave me that elitist vibe. My mentor that is a UF Law grad said it definitely does give off that vibe as well, but after going back a few times and after realizing how friendly the staff and other students seem to be I felt a lot more comfortable.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”