Wake Forest University Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
smitza1

New

Wake Forest University Class of 2016

Post by smitza1 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:49 pm

Just accepted at Wake Forest Law! Who else will be going???

slawww

Silver

Re: Wake Forest University Class of 2016

Post by slawww » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:05 am

Also accepted today. I'm about 95% sure I'll be attending.

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:23 am

Congrats! I'm a 3L. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. :D

smitza1

New

Post by smitza1 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:20 pm

I currently go to the Wake undergrad, so I can also help with some questions about Winston-Salem or the WFU community. tstyler98, are you happy with your decision to go to Wake and what kind of job prospects should be expected at graduation? I have seen soooo many different statistics, but you are seeing it first hand. What's it like?

smitza1

New

Post by smitza1 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:08 pm

hey slawww, are you going to the Accepted Students Day this Friday?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

slawww

Silver

Post by slawww » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:22 am

smitza1 wrote:hey slawww, are you going to the Accepted Students Day this Friday?
Hey, I'm not going on Friday, but I am going to the March 1st one. Do you know what the attire is for ASD's? Also, what about bringing parents? My parents are coming with me, but I'll probably go to the event by myself. Any idea how these events usually work? I've never been to one before.

slawww

Silver

Post by slawww » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:47 am

smitza1 wrote: tstyler98, are you happy with your decision to go to Wake and what kind of job prospects should be expected at graduation? I have seen soooo many different statistics, but you are seeing it first hand. What's it like?
Pretty much this. Also, what about housing options. I saw the Crowne apartments which look really nice, but I'm curious if there are any other apartments that are cheaper and ideally within walking/bike distance? Do you have roommates or do you live by yourself? I think I'd prefer a 1 bedroom. Also, anything in particular you'd like to share about Wake Law would be great. Thanks!

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:46 am

smitza1 wrote:I currently go to the Wake undergrad, so I can also help with some questions about Winston-Salem or the WFU community. tstyler98, are you happy with your decision to go to Wake and what kind of job prospects should be expected at graduation? I have seen soooo many different statistics, but you are seeing it first hand. What's it like?
I'm really happy with my decision to go to Wake. The professors are open to talking to students. I've never had a problem going up to a professor after class or in their office. And I like that most of them will learn their student's names. This is one of the benefits of having a smaller class size. Starting next year, the law school will be taking up the entire building (the MBA program is moving into its own building), so there will be more space for everything. During my time, I've made many good friends, met my now fiance, and learned a lot.

Job prospects are all over the place. Many people, including me, have jobs lined up after graduation already. But many do not. Some got theirs through more traditional ways (OCI for summer job and offered a job at the end of the summer), while others are using other methods. For example, I met the lawyer I'll be working with at a conference, I kept in touch with her, asked her for a job over this past summer (working for free), and got a job offer. I think my advice is that you can't just sit back and wait for a job to come to you; you have to be proactive.

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:49 am

slawww wrote:
smitza1 wrote:hey slawww, are you going to the Accepted Students Day this Friday?
Hey, I'm not going on Friday, but I am going to the March 1st one. Do you know what the attire is for ASD's? Also, what about bringing parents? My parents are coming with me, but I'll probably go to the event by myself. Any idea how these events usually work? I've never been to one before.
Many people bring their parents along, so don't worry about it if you bring yours. As for attire, I've seen everything -- jeans, business casual, and professional. I'd recommend business casual. I think they are planning a breakfast where current students can answer questions, tours, sit-in on a class, and lunch.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:24 pm

slawww wrote:
smitza1 wrote: tstyler98, are you happy with your decision to go to Wake and what kind of job prospects should be expected at graduation? I have seen soooo many different statistics, but you are seeing it first hand. What's it like?
Pretty much this. Also, what about housing options. I saw the Crowne apartments which look really nice, but I'm curious if there are any other apartments that are cheaper and ideally within walking/bike distance? Do you have roommates or do you live by yourself? I think I'd prefer a 1 bedroom. Also, anything in particular you'd like to share about Wake Law would be great. Thanks!
I lived in Crowne Park for two years. I really liked them, but there are cheaper options available. You can bike/walk from any of the Crownes, and there is a shuttle that picks up/drops off at many apartment complexes. (More info about which apartments and the schedule for the shuttle is available at http://facilities.wfu.edu/transport/rid ... schedules/). Many students take the shuttle to save on parking on campus.

Most of the housing close to campus is either school housing (mostly for undergrads, though there are a few rentals for grad students) and single family houses that people own and either live in or rent out to students. My fiance lived in a rented house for all 3 years of law school, and I moved in with him for our last year.

During early June, the law school will have an event called "House Hunt." Incoming students come, meet each other, and get tours of different housing options. I did it before my 1L year. It was a great way to find a place to live and meet people before law school.

Here is a website through Wake that provides info about housing: http://law.wfu.edu/housing/

smitza1

New

Post by smitza1 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:57 pm

hey, you've been a huge help! I didn't know the MBA program was moving over to the new business building? That's sure to make the law school more appealing! I agree with you about living in Crowne. Almost all of my friends live there now. It seems pretty legit! Thanks again for all of your help!

slawww

Silver

Post by slawww » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:26 pm

tstyler98 wrote:
slawww wrote:
I lived in Crowne Park for two years. I really liked them, but there are cheaper options available. You can bike/walk from any of the Crownes, and there is a shuttle that picks up/drops off at many apartment complexes. (More info about which apartments and the schedule for the shuttle is available at http://facilities.wfu.edu/transport/rid ... schedules/). Many students take the shuttle to save on parking on campus.

Most of the housing close to campus is either school housing (mostly for undergrads, though there are a few rentals for grad students) and single family houses that people own and either live in or rent out to students. My fiance lived in a rented house for all 3 years of law school, and I moved in with him for our last year.

During early June, the law school will have an event called "House Hunt." Incoming students come, meet each other, and get tours of different housing options. I did it before my 1L year. It was a great way to find a place to live and meet people before law school.

Here is a website through Wake that provides info about housing: http://law.wfu.edu/housing/
Thanks so much for all of the info; I really appreciate it!

smitza1

New

Post by smitza1 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:30 pm

one last thing, although i don't know how well you will be able to comment on this. Naturally, we all look at Vault and the USNWR rankings. Do you think that Wake moving the MBA program to the new business building will positively impact Wake in the rankings? just curious. I have seen that Wake has fallen a few spots in the past few years, so it would be nice to see a rise in the rankings soon!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

slawww

Silver

Post by slawww » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:53 pm

smitza1 wrote:one last thing, although i don't know how well you will be able to comment on this. Naturally, we all look at Vault and the USNWR rankings. Do you think that Wake moving the MBA program to the new business building will positively impact Wake in the rankings? just curious. I have seen that Wake has fallen a few spots in the past few years, so it would be nice to see a rise in the rankings soon!
That would be awesome, but I don't see how that would affect the rankings at all. But then again, I know nothing about B-school.

On another note, is there a Facebook page for admitted students?

slawww

Silver

Post by slawww » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:23 pm

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:30 pm

smitza1 wrote:one last thing, although i don't know how well you will be able to comment on this. Naturally, we all look at Vault and the USNWR rankings. Do you think that Wake moving the MBA program to the new business building will positively impact Wake in the rankings? just curious. I have seen that Wake has fallen a few spots in the past few years, so it would be nice to see a rise in the rankings soon!
I'm not really sure. The advantage of taking over the whole building is that we get the whole building and we no longer have to be jealous of all the free food that the B-school students get (they have events all the time with catered food, while we're eating Papa John's). The disadvantage is that the law school will now have to pay for an entire building, which could mean potentially higher tuition, larger class sizes, etc. I've not heard anything about what their plan is, so my thoughts here are pure speculation.

I'd love for Wake to go up in the ranks, but regardless of its rank, I think it's a great school. Besides the professors and students being great, the alumni are wonderful. They are more than willing to speak to students, and some are willing to do more.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

slawww

Silver

Post by slawww » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:37 pm

Tstyler98-

Thanks again for doing this! I have a couple more questions. Since you brought up the issue of tuition, have the price stayed pretty steady during your time at Wake, and would it be reasonable to expect it to remain (relatively) steady? Also, how do you feel about the portability of a Wake degree within the Mid-Atlantic area? I'm from Florida, and at some point I think I'd like to come back to Florida. I'd also be more than happy staying in NC if I find a job there, of course, but I'm just curious if you know of any classmates who have found jobs outside of NC. Thanks!

OzyM

New

Post by OzyM » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:32 am

I'll be going to the ASD this friday and I will be getting in this thursday, my hotel is downtown so I plan on roaming around and checking out the bar scene thursday night.

slawww

Silver

Post by slawww » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:40 am

OzyM wrote:I'll be going to the ASD this friday and I will be getting in this thursday, my hotel is downtown so I plan on roaming around and checking out the bar scene thursday night.
Nice! Let me know what you think. I just booked my flight for the ASD March 1st.

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:35 pm

slawww wrote:Tstyler98-

Thanks again for doing this! I have a couple more questions. Since you brought up the issue of tuition, have the price stayed pretty steady during your time at Wake, and would it be reasonable to expect it to remain (relatively) steady? Also, how do you feel about the portability of a Wake degree within the Mid-Atlantic area? I'm from Florida, and at some point I think I'd like to come back to Florida. I'd also be more than happy staying in NC if I find a job there, of course, but I'm just curious if you know of any classmates who have found jobs outside of NC. Thanks!
The tuition has gone up each year, but it's not been too bad. Between 1L and 2L year, it went up about $1400 for the year; between 2L and 3L, it went up about $1200 for the year. (That's just tuition and not any other fees.)

There are lots of people going to places outside of NC after graduation. That I know of, we have people with jobs in Texas, Delaware, Virginia. And there are students going all over, including Florida, but people don't always broadcast whether they have a job or not. If you already have ties to an area, it should make it easier.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:40 pm

OzyM wrote:I'll be going to the ASD this friday and I will be getting in this thursday, my hotel is downtown so I plan on roaming around and checking out the bar scene thursday night.
There are a few bars downtown that are decent: Tate's Bar, Recreation Billiards, Elixir, Foothills (also a restaurant).

A little farther away from downtown, but not far, is Old Winston Social Club and Burks Street Pub (both on Burke St.).

There will be a bar review on Thursday night somewhere where many of the law students will be, but I'm not sure where it'll be. If anyone's interested, I can pass that along.

smitza1

New

Post by smitza1 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:04 am

http://www.facebook.com/groups/289649014498145/

Facebook page for WFU Law 2016 Class

Ghost Bear

New

Post by Ghost Bear » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:47 pm

tstyler98 wrote:
slawww wrote:

This is really helpful +1 for the info.

On a different note, I think I am going to buy a place near campus. I'd prefer to have 1L, my section or not, and Hopefully some of you will be at the ASD March 1st. Anyone curious, lets chat.

whitese51

New

Post by whitese51 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:49 pm

tstyler98 wrote:
I'm not really sure. The advantage of taking over the whole building is that we get the whole building and we no longer have to be jealous of all the free food that the B-school students get (they have events all the time with catered food, while we're eating Papa John's). The disadvantage is that the law school will now have to pay for an entire building, which could mean potentially higher tuition, larger class sizes, etc. I've not heard anything about what their plan is, so my thoughts here are pure speculation.

I'd love for Wake to go up in the ranks, but regardless of its rank, I think it's a great school. Besides the professors and students being great, the alumni are wonderful. They are more than willing to speak to students, and some are willing to do more.
I won't speculate on how rankings will be affected by the B-school's move, but I've heard that our building is going to be remodeled and they want to put the clinics (currently located all over W-S) in the B-school side...

Also, I'm a current 2L- let me know if you have any other questions :) Like tstyler, I have lived in Crowne Park. I love it, but there are definitely cheaper and closer options, like Deacon Ridge and renting a house. Take the time to explore your options, you pretty much have until the end of House Hunt to decide.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”