Cornell Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
ph5354a

Gold

Re: Cornell Class of 2016

Post by ph5354a » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:18 pm

Lavitz wrote: No inside info, but last year e-mails were sent out on Friday the 23rd.
So we're betting on Friday the 22nd for scholarship emails this year? That would be nice...

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:11 pm

iMisto wrote:Do we wait for scholly info before applying for the federal loans? I'm afraid I'm missing something, since I've never gone through the loan process.
Yeah, I think you're supposed to wait for your financial aid package, especially since you wouldn't know how much in Grad Plus loans to apply for without knowing your scholarship offer. Then again, I've never done this before either.

Also, my letter says "Final determination [of your federal loan eligibility] will be made after our second deposit deadline," so there's that.
Lincoln wrote:For all you gym rats:

It's true what they say about Noyes, but I've found that it's not that hard to avoid rush hour.

Some people who work out a lot and who drive have gotten memberships at Island Fitness. It's at the other end of town, so not a realistic option for most, but if you are concerned about space it might be an option for you.
Thanks Lincoln. It looks a little pricey to me, so I think I'll stick with the Cornell gyms for 1L.

waters

New

Post by waters » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:54 pm

iMisto wrote:
talesofyore wrote:How well attended was the ASW? I'm trying to gauge whether to go to one or to visit on my own.
It seemed pretty packed to me; the moot courtroom was full. I'd recommend attending, as I found it quite enjoyable (waaaaay excited to start now).
Sorry to be the person to ask, but somebody's got to... any swag?

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:00 pm

waters wrote:Sorry to be the person to ask, but somebody's got to... any swag?
Yes.

Franciscus

New

Post by Franciscus » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:43 pm

You should definitely apply for federal loans asap (wasn't the deadline on March 15th?). There's no need to wait for scholly info since you're offered a max amount and you accept the amount you need. I submitted my FAFSA back in February before I even heard from some schools, including Cornell.

Edit: just read on Cornell's site that applications submitted after March 15th may be placed on hold. Of course, if you were admitted shortly before the March 15th deadline (as I was), you have two weeks from the time of your acceptance.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:00 pm

Pretty sure iMisto already submitted FAFSA and all the documents and was just asking if we were suupsed to go to the actual student loan site to sign the promissory notes, etc.

In other news, the financial aid committee is definitely reviewing all the completed files today. If you're missing anything, you should get a e-mail about it.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:07 pm

Hey guys I'm a current 1L at CLS. I will be the graduate community advisor (GCA) for Hughes Hall next year. The GCA is basically a watered down RA for Hughes. If you have any questions about Hughes please feel free to PM me or what not.

legallyblonde1893

New

Post by legallyblonde1893 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:24 am

Admitted to Cornell, but debating between Cornell and Georgetown at the moment...Gahhh I hate decisions...

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:30 am

legallyblonde1893 wrote:Admitted to Cornell, but debating between Cornell and Georgetown at the moment...Gahhh I hate decisions...
This is an easy one however.

Enjoy Cornell!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:34 am

Did anyone have an incomplete financial aid file and get an email yesterday (or any other day) letting them know? It was nearly impossible to figure out which of my parent's tax forms they needed and I couldn't fit all of them as an attachment. I got a "Thank you" response when I sent them via email, but that doesn't mean I'm not having recurring nightmares about being ineligible for financial aid because they didn't get all of my forms...

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:35 am

BigZuck wrote:
legallyblonde1893 wrote:Admitted to Cornell, but debating between Cornell and Georgetown at the moment...Gahhh I hate decisions...
This is an easy one however.

Enjoy Cornell!
Yeah, this is super easy. You'll have fewer loans due to lower COL at Ithaca and more fun due to not being so poor. Also, it's a better school. Get your snow pants ready.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:33 pm

ph5354a wrote:Did anyone have an incomplete financial aid file and get an email yesterday (or any other day) letting them know? It was nearly impossible to figure out which of my parent's tax forms they needed and I couldn't fit all of them as an attachment. I got a "Thank you" response when I sent them via email, but that doesn't mean I'm not having recurring nightmares about being ineligible for financial aid because they didn't get all of my forms...
I'm sure you'll be fine. Your aid package may be delayed a few days or something but that's about it. I'm sure if they're still missing something, they would e-mail you again.

And if by some chance you didn't have whatever they needed, you'd still be eligible for merit aid; they only need parents' info for need-based.

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:30 pm

Barring significant difference in COA, this is all you need to know:

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=cornell
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=gulc

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CR2012

Bronze

Post by CR2012 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:43 am

How did you all submit your financial information? Snail mail? Fax? Email?

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:50 am

CR2012 wrote:How did you all submit your financial information? Snail mail? Fax? Email?
I faxed mine, but any of the three is fine.

CR2012

Bronze

Post by CR2012 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:52 am

Lavitz wrote:
CR2012 wrote:How did you all submit your financial information? Snail mail? Fax? Email?
I faxed mine, but any of the three is fine.
Thanks! Also, rookie question, when we submit our tax return, our we just submitting the 1040 sans W-2 and other appendices? Or do we need to submit what we send to the IRS? Or neither? Sorry for tainting the forum with my financial aid problems.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:45 am

CR2012 wrote:Thanks! Also, rookie question, when we submit our tax return, our we just submitting the 1040 sans W-2 and other appendices? Or do we need to submit what we send to the IRS? Or neither? Sorry for tainting the forum with my financial aid problems.
My situation was atypical in that I wasn't applying for need-based aid, so someone else may have to jump in to confirm. In the acceptance letter and under the loans section of the finaid page on the website, it just said "tax returns" so I took that to mean just the 1040. But in the admitted students handbook and under the need-based section of the finaid page, it said to include all schedules and copies of W-2s iirc. I already sent the schedules, so I called to ask if I needed to send the W-2 but the woman didn't know and the committee already took my file into the meeting. They would've put it in the incomplete pile if it was missing something, so I guess they didn't need my W-2. But again, this may just be because I didn't apply for need-based.

So I guess to be safe, you may want to send the form, schedules and W-2. Unless someone else here can confirm what's actually necessary :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:53 am

Lavitz wrote:
CR2012 wrote:Thanks! Also, rookie question, when we submit our tax return, our we just submitting the 1040 sans W-2 and other appendices? Or do we need to submit what we send to the IRS? Or neither? Sorry for tainting the forum with my financial aid problems.
My situation was atypical in that I wasn't applying for need-based aid, so someone else may have to jump in to confirm. In the acceptance letter and under the loans section of the finaid page on the website, it just said "tax returns" so I took that to mean just the 1040. But in the admitted students handbook and under the need-based section of the finaid page, it said to include all schedules and copies of W-2s iirc. I already sent the schedules, so I called to ask if I needed to send the W-2 but the woman didn't know and the committee already took my file into the meeting. They would've put it in the incomplete pile if it was missing something, so I guess they didn't need my W-2. But again, this may just be because I didn't apply for need-based.

So I guess to be safe, you may want to send the form, schedules and W-2. Unless someone else here can confirm what's actually necessary :)
Yup --it does say that they ask for all schedules, W-2s, etc. For my own tax returns, this wasn't a problem because I just downloaded them to a pdf with all the forms and emailed it, and it was only 30 pages. For my parent's this file was so huge that I got a bounce back from their server, so I just emailed them the 1040 and asked them to respond if they needed anything else. I haven't heard anything (they just responded to say thank you) so my saga doesn't help you much, but I'm assuming my file is considered complete. I would say if it's not too much trouble, just send them everything to be safe. If it's a hassle, stick with the 1040 and see if they ask for anything else.

CR2012

Bronze

Post by CR2012 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:07 am

ph5354a wrote:
Lavitz wrote:

Yup --it does say that they ask for all schedules, W-2s, etc. For my own tax returns, this wasn't a problem because I just downloaded them to a pdf with all the forms and emailed it, and it was only 30 pages. For my parent's this file was so huge that I got a bounce back from their server, so I just emailed them the 1040 and asked them to respond if they needed anything else. I haven't heard anything (they just responded to say thank you) so my saga doesn't help you much, but I'm assuming my file is considered complete. I would say if it's not too much trouble, just send them everything to be safe. If it's a hassle, stick with the 1040 and see if they ask for anything else.
Thanks, you both are great!

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:37 pm

Hey, guys I've been getting some FAQ through PM that I thought I'd share about Hughes.

1. Are there actual differences between the small/medium/large rooms?
2. Do all rooms have twin XL beds only?
3. What do people do for food? I think there is a shared kitchen, but that seems like a lot of people to be sharing one kitchen (45?)
4. I am still waiting to hear back from some other schools and am nervous about Hughes filling up quickly. Are people usually able to get into hughes if they want a room or is there always people waiting for spots to open up as the year approaches?

1) I would say not really. I don't know of anyone's room that is a small, but there definitely isn't a noticeable difference between regular, large and extra large rooms only the price of rent.

2) Well my room next year as the GCA will have a queen , but sorry all o your beds are standard twin XL's

3) People normally eat out. The smallest percentage have a meal plan. Some exclusively cook. Some eat out for every meal. I would say that cooking is definitely feasible. Some people will never step foot in the kitcen. The kitchen has two refrigerator's, two stoves, three microwaves, and other appliances so really up to 8 people could be cooking something at a time. Also, factor in that people eat at different times.

4) I remember signing of for hughes right before or after the April ASW. I also remember getting in, but not getting the room size that I wanted. I would say that Hughes will fill up, but not to worry about it unitl April then you should probably go ahead and decide. Also, people do drop out of Hughes and on your facebook page there will be a few postings that there is a room open in Hughes. So there's that.

If anyone of you have anymore questions please let me know. Also, I recommend taking a tour of Hughes if you haven't at the ASW. Keep an open mind when you take the tour and if you can definitely talk to current 1L's about their experience. The year before the 1L's didn't really like Hughes as much. This year we had/have a blast. Just make sure to get all the information where you live is a pretty big decision and IMO can impact law school performance.

iMisto

Silver

Post by iMisto » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:12 am

Just had a terrible dream... Cornell was like, "He really wants to go, so we don't have to give him anything." And I was like, :cry: .

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:23 am

iMisto wrote:Just had a terrible dream... Cornell was like, "He really wants to go, so we don't have to give him anything." And I was like, :cry: .
It's funny cuz it's true???

I bet you get a minimum of 45K however

twinkletoes16

Silver

Post by twinkletoes16 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:58 am

FWIW, I emailed them to make sure they had everything (they did). Said they would be in touch soon.

I don't know if that's "soon" like Friday or "soon" like Cornell soon/May so I guess we'll see...

talesofyore

Bronze

Post by talesofyore » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:00 am

twinkletoes16 wrote:FWIW, I emailed them to make sure they had everything (they did). Said they would be in touch soon.

I don't know if that's "soon" like Friday or "soon" like Cornell soon/May so I guess we'll see...

It would definitely have endeared you to them if you'd asked them that. "May I ask whether you mean soon, as in Friday or so, or do you mean Cornell soon?" :lol:

iMisto

Silver

Post by iMisto » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:44 pm

BigZuck wrote:
iMisto wrote:Just had a terrible dream... Cornell was like, "He really wants to go, so we don't have to give him anything." And I was like, :cry: .
It's funny cuz it's true???

I bet you get a minimum of 45K however
Just a nightmare... I don't think they'll be flashing me 45k though..

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”