Georgetown 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
justonemoregame

Silver

Re: Georgetown 2016

Post by justonemoregame » Wed May 08, 2013 2:35 pm

987654321 wrote:
justonemoregame wrote:Current students, vastly important question: is massage therapy available at the fitness center or through health services?
There are places around campus where you can get a legit sports massage (not the chair style elbow massage at the mall). There is one place right across Safeway, which is a 10-15 minute walk from campus.

Awesome - what is your guess on the percentage of your class that self-selects into government/public interest jobs? Also, as a student, do you have access through career services to more granular data about this category of jobs - we know about 25% of the c/o 2012 ended up here, with some percentage being school funded, but the ABA data only goes so far.

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Wed May 08, 2013 2:39 pm

Psib337 wrote:I'm submitting my deposit tomorrow, just got accepted yesterday, so excited for next year!
Congratulations, btw. Join the army in the stickied c/o thread!

abadname13

New

Post by abadname13 » Wed May 08, 2013 9:25 pm

Anyone else opt-in for the potential "wellness and mindful living floor" on the Gewirz application?

luxxe

Silver

Post by luxxe » Thu May 09, 2013 2:16 am

abadname13 wrote:Anyone else opt-in for the potential "wellness and mindful living floor" on the Gewirz application?
That wasn't there last year. What does that even mean?

And have they said anything more specifically about course selection other than it will happen in May? I want section b (desperately) but I'm leaving the country Friday and won't have access to wifi until late May. If I don't get section b this year after getting it last year and having to defer I'm going to be upset :cry:

Bfalcon

Bronze

Post by Bfalcon » Thu May 09, 2013 10:26 am

luxxe wrote:
abadname13 wrote:Anyone else opt-in for the potential "wellness and mindful living floor" on the Gewirz application?
That wasn't there last year. What does that even mean?
+1, any relation to the Lawyers in Balance type thing? I was speaking with someone from Vandy yesterday and they talked aobut Georgetown having a good reputation for welness and health of its students. I have a feeling this would be a more quiet floor with extended quiet hours. Perhaps an emphasis on mindfulness type activities (yoga/meditation)? I'm curious...
luxxe wrote:And have they said anything more specifically about course selection other than it will happen in May? I want section b (desperately) but I'm leaving the country Friday and won't have access to wifi until late May. If I don't get section b this year after getting it last year and having to defer I'm going to be upset :cry:
I haven't heard anything on this. Have you given them a call about it? They might consider an exception for you given extenuating circumstances...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

luxxe

Silver

Post by luxxe » Thu May 09, 2013 1:48 pm

Bfalcon wrote:
I haven't heard anything on this. Have you given them a call about it? They might consider an exception for you given extenuating circumstances...
I'm calling now. I didn't want to be that irritating student that called and did this, but looks like I will be!!

gpallet01

New

Post by gpallet01 » Thu May 09, 2013 5:24 pm

Anyone trying to live off campus w/ roommates to keep costs down? Anyone know how much you can expect to pay if looking to get something w/ roommates?

Bfalcon

Bronze

Post by Bfalcon » Thu May 09, 2013 11:40 pm

I definitely will be. I'm pretty confident that you can split a decent two bedroom for 2200-25000 (or more) in a variety of reasonable areas in proximity to campus. That's my plan anyhow. I've been on craigslist etc like a hawk for the last month or so and I've seen plenty of places fit that bill. If you're looking to pay under $1000 per month, you'll have to do some hard searching or take a 1 bedroom + den. PM me if you need more details.

gpallet01

New

Post by gpallet01 » Fri May 10, 2013 10:20 am

Bfalcon wrote:I definitely will be. I'm pretty confident that you can split a decent two bedroom for 2200-25000 (or more) in a variety of reasonable areas in proximity to campus. That's my plan anyhow. I've been on craigslist etc like a hawk for the last month or so and I've seen plenty of places fit that bill. If you're looking to pay under $1000 per month, you'll have to do some hard searching or take a 1 bedroom + den. PM me if you need more details.
Yeah, I figured that. Though I remember reading somewhere -- maybe on this forum -- that rowhouses with 3/4/5 roommates could be done for 700ish/month. Going to have to start looking asap.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bfalcon

Bronze

Post by Bfalcon » Fri May 10, 2013 1:18 pm

That could likely be done, perhaps a tad over that price if you want to live in a decent area. I'm only looking for a 2 bedroom type place so don't quote me on that.

Psib337

Bronze

Post by Psib337 » Sat May 11, 2013 8:07 pm

Does anyone know how late people are generally there at night? Are people generally out by 8 or is staying in the library until midnight or later pretty normal? I'm planning on living off campus someplace within walking distance (probably Gallery Place or right over the bridge on H street) and was wondering how safe it was to walk around at night (of course taking into account that it's a city with all the good and bad that comes with that). In undergrad I mostly studied at home but I have a feeling I'll actually need the library for more than to run in and print something.

Bfalcon

Bronze

Post by Bfalcon » Mon May 13, 2013 10:59 am

Does anyone know what the NoMA neighbourhood is like?

sambeber

Bronze

Post by sambeber » Mon May 13, 2013 11:04 am

Psib337 wrote:Does anyone know how late people are generally there at night? Are people generally out by 8 or is staying in the library until midnight or later pretty normal? I'm planning on living off campus someplace within walking distance (probably Gallery Place or right over the bridge on H street) and was wondering how safe it was to walk around at night (of course taking into account that it's a city with all the good and bad that comes with that). In undergrad I mostly studied at home but I have a feeling I'll actually need the library for more than to run in and print something.
I would say on the average night (not within three weeks of the start of exams, and not on a weekend night) there are probably a decent amount of people in the library past 8:00. Remember, there are like 2000 students, so even if only 5% of students stay late in the library, that's still 100 people. If you live near Gallery Place or in those apartment complexes (Mass Court, Meridian, etc.), you're fine. It's a well-trafficked area at basically all times, with a ton of Georgetown students around there. I know many people who live in far shadier places and have not had a problem. Just don't be stupid and you'll be fine (and honestly, if you're stupid, you'll still be fine).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sambeber

Bronze

Post by sambeber » Mon May 13, 2013 11:10 am

Bfalcon wrote:Does anyone know what the NoMA neighbourhood is like?
NoMa is developing extremely quickly. In the past three years along there are probably 4-5 new, large apartment buildings clustered together along with a decent amount of new retail (grocery store, restaurants, coffee shops, etc.) To some extent it depends specifically on where you're talking about, but for the sake of conversation, I'll assume you mean somewhere within a four block radius centering on Harris Teeter at 1st and M, NE.

Some of the advantages: direct, 15-20 minute walk from school; metro could not be any closer; somewhat better bang for your buck at this point; nice, new buildings.

Some of the disadvantages: It's not fully developed; most of the restaurants aren't open past 6:00 or 7:00 pm (cater to the professional crowd); not a ton to do at night.

sambeber

Bronze

Post by sambeber » Mon May 13, 2013 11:13 am

gpallet01 wrote:Anyone trying to live off campus w/ roommates to keep costs down? Anyone know how much you can expect to pay if looking to get something w/ roommates?
It all depends on what neighborhood, what kind of building/house, and how many roommates. Mostly what neighborhood. One downside to the DC rental market is that it moves pretty quickly and for lots of places you basically have to be here physically to get a spot. You'll have a much easier time 2L and 3L once you have a sense for the city and are able to go to apartment showings, etc.

CourCour

Bronze

Post by CourCour » Mon May 13, 2013 11:13 am

Is there a FB group for our class?

sarah2013

New

Post by sarah2013 » Mon May 13, 2013 12:37 pm

CourCour wrote:Is there a FB group for our class?
http://www.facebook.com/groups/Gtownlaw2016/

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Mon May 13, 2013 1:08 pm

who is in charge of the group? I requested to join about a week ago and still haven't been accepted. Is it only for those who have decided for sure to attend?

sarah2013

New

Post by sarah2013 » Mon May 13, 2013 3:26 pm

I don't really know but it also took several weeks until someone approved my request to join. (If I remember correctly that was before I had paid the first tuition deposit.)

Psib337

Bronze

Post by Psib337 » Mon May 13, 2013 6:56 pm

I requested to join the group last week, it looks like the admins are students so I figured they're probably in the middle of finals and not too concerned with keeping up with the facebook group for now.

Bfalcon

Bronze

Post by Bfalcon » Tue May 14, 2013 1:09 pm

Any thoughts on this Law Preview thing? It seems like more of a money-grabber. I'd rather save my time and $ and learn this at the law school I'm paying money to attend.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CourCour

Bronze

Post by CourCour » Tue May 14, 2013 2:30 pm

Bfalcon wrote:Any thoughts on this Law Preview thing? It seems like more of a money-grabber. I'd rather save my time and $ and learn this at the law school I'm paying money to attend.
I was going to sign up for the scholarship. Why not? Otherwise, I wouldn't shell out the money.

gerrod11

New

Post by gerrod11 » Tue May 14, 2013 6:02 pm

CourCour wrote:
Bfalcon wrote:Any thoughts on this Law Preview thing? It seems like more of a money-grabber. I'd rather save my time and $ and learn this at the law school I'm paying money to attend.
I was going to sign up for the scholarship. Why not? Otherwise, I wouldn't shell out the money.
I applied for the scholarship also. It's a pretty simple application process and requires you to upload pieces of your application from Georgetown. The general TLS consensus is that Law Preview is not worth the money. But I figure that there is no harm in attending if you can go for free.

New

Post by 987654321 » Wed May 15, 2013 9:33 am

gerrod11 wrote:
CourCour wrote:
I applied for the scholarship also. It's a pretty simple application process and requires you to upload pieces of your application from Georgetown. The general TLS consensus is that Law Preview is not worth the money. But I figure that there is no harm in attending if you can go for free.
Did it for free. Waste of time. Unnecessary. Enjoy your summer.

Rory19

Bronze

Post by Rory19 » Wed May 15, 2013 11:32 am

I submitted my curriculum selection survey and chose "A". I did not have strong preferences towards "B" and didn't want to take a spot from someone who would really enjoy it (and probably do more of the reading, I tend to skim when readings get too philosophical). My only concern is that there may be some sort of stigma about taking the easier route and opting for "A". Has anyone heard anything like this--e.g. for write on if one of two otherwise equal candidates is curriculum "B", will the "B" have an edge as a harder worker or something to that effect?

I'm probably over thinking this...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”