Georgetown 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
Bfalcon

Bronze

Re: Georgetown 2016

Post by Bfalcon » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:05 am

luxxe wrote:
xjustyoursmile wrote: I'm leaning towards A, but I'm not sure yet. Why are you choosing B? It's hard to make a solid decision for me right now. xD
I am a lot more interested in public interest/policy and I like the idea of a non-traditional schedule with a super close-knit, left-leaning group :). It is more work, which, as I drown in grad school reading makes me want to sob, but I thought a lot about it last year and I'm going to go with it again.

I'm so happy I popped back on TLS again because thinking about August is making this semester seem less endless haha.
Haha, it definitely makes the time go by.

So do you think that there's room for a right-leaning (but open-minded!) dude in that left-leaning group of Cur. B? Granted, I'm right-leaning in Canada, so that prolly makes me more central in the States.

xjustyoursmile

Bronze

Post by xjustyoursmile » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:04 pm

luxxe wrote:
xjustyoursmile wrote: I'm leaning towards A, but I'm not sure yet. Why are you choosing B? It's hard to make a solid decision for me right now. xD
I am a lot more interested in public interest/policy and I like the idea of a non-traditional schedule with a super close-knit, left-leaning group :). It is more work, which, as I drown in grad school reading makes me want to sob, but I thought a lot about it last year and I'm going to go with it again.

I'm so happy I popped back on TLS again because thinking about August is making this semester seem less endless haha.
Ahh, sorry about all that stress! But I hope by your avvie that P&R cheers you up like it cheers me up! =D

I like the idea of a tight knit also, but I also like the A classes more except I would love to slip in some political theory since that was my emphasis in undergrad.

xjustyoursmile

Bronze

Post by xjustyoursmile » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:06 pm

Bfalcon wrote:
luxxe wrote:

Haha, it definitely makes the time go by.

So do you think that there's room for a right-leaning (but open-minded!) dude in that left-leaning group of Cur. B? Granted, I'm right-leaning in Canada, so that prolly makes me more central in the States.
Honestly, the political right in the US is not as crazy right as the media portrays them. Even the left isn't as lefty as it seems as well. If there's anything someone can learn from taking a political science in the US is that the majority of the US are actually moderates even those that cling to a label or a party. I think you'll be fine. (:

Bfalcon

Bronze

Post by Bfalcon » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:29 pm

I think so too. I'm guessing that there are enough intelligent people at Gtown to counter-balance any crazies that may have slipped through ;)

Booking my flights for ASW today...woot!!

jen1park

New

Post by jen1park » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:48 pm

xjustyoursmile wrote:Hey peeps! (:
I practically officially part of GULC C/O 2016. I'm just waiting for them to get back to me about the merit scholarship. They said they'd get back in early March, but I'm getting really anxious.

Anybody going to the March Admits Days? I'm thinking of sending in the Gewirz app but I'm also considering meeting some people who would like to also be in Gewirz and would like a roommate.

Can't wait to visit campus and meet some of you. :D
Hey! I saw your post in the other one about submitting your deposit... did they accept it without the first deposit form? Or am I just missing it? It doesn't show up in my ASW...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

xjustyoursmile

Bronze

Post by xjustyoursmile » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:04 pm

jen1park wrote:
I practically officially part of GULC C/O 2016. I'm just waiting for them to get back to me about the merit scholarship. They said they'd get back in early March, but I'm getting really anxious.

Anybody going to the March Admits Days? I'm thinking of sending in the Gewirz app but I'm also considering meeting some people who would like to also be in Gewirz and would like a roommate.

Hey! I saw your post in the other one about submitting your deposit... did they accept it without the first deposit form? Or am I just missing it? It doesn't show up in my ASW...
I can't find it on ASW either. I'm guessing they'll be putting it up later. I was able to put in my first deposit because I got a scholarship and they gave me a pdf to print out that was titled 'Intent to Enroll'. I'm not sure when it'll be available online on ASW.

Are you gonna be attending? :D

jen1park

New

Post by jen1park » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:02 pm

xjustyoursmile wrote:
jen1park wrote:

I can't find it on ASW either. I'm guessing they'll be putting it up later. I was able to put in my first deposit because I got a scholarship and they gave me a pdf to print out that was titled 'Intent to Enroll'. I'm not sure when it'll be available online on ASW.

Are you gonna be attending? :D
Ooh congratulations on the scholarship!

Yes I am, guess I'll have to wait to deposit. :| Are you going to the March Open House?

xjustyoursmile

Bronze

Post by xjustyoursmile » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:49 pm

jen1park wrote: Ooh congratulations on the scholarship!

Yes I am, guess I'll have to wait to deposit. :| Are you going to the March Open House?
Thanks! Well I hope they make that option available soon. Yeah I am! Pretty excited. You heading over too?

jone7007

New

Post by jone7007 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:48 pm

Since I want to attend Part-time Georgetown is my best option. I'm not sure if I'm attending or not yet, but if I attend Law School it will be Georgetown. I'll be at the March ASW and checking out apartments so I hopefully, I don't need to make a 2nd trip.

I will be looking at close to campus and a bit further away. A friend also recommended some very affordable apartments he lived in Arlington. The apartments have hardwood floors but other wise have basic kitchens and baths. He said it was about 20 to 30 minutes by bus (the stop is in front). The rates are lower because it is not close to a metro line and it is a lower working class area. Not ghetto but not hip. He felt safe outside at night. Map quest shows within walking distance several parks, restaurants, and a grocery store.

If I can save myself $500 to 1k/month over campus housing (and it may be worth the hour, I'd loose commuting). One option I'm looking at is a 3BD/2BA, $1350 - 1395+ utility/electricity costs.

I'm going check the apartments, poke around the neighborhood, and ride the route to see if sure how long it will take. PM me if you may be interested in apartment sharing or more info after I make my rental decision.

Also, if anyone in the DC area can comment in on what the utility/electricity costs might be it would be appreciated.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bfalcon

Bronze

Post by Bfalcon » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:55 pm

jone7007 wrote:Since I want to attend Part-time Georgetown is my best option. I'm not sure if I'm attending or not yet, but if I attend Law School it will be Georgetown. I'll be at the March ASW and checking out apartments so I hopefully, I don't need to make a 2nd trip.

I will be looking at close to campus and a bit further away. A friend also recommended some very affordable apartments he lived in Arlington. The apartments have hardwood floors but other wise have basic kitchens and baths. He said it was about 20 to 30 minutes by bus (the stop is in front). The rates are lower because it is not close to a metro line and it is a lower working class area. Not ghetto but not hip. He felt safe outside at night. Map quest shows within walking distance several parks, restaurants, and a grocery store.

If I can save myself $500 to 1k/month over campus housing (and it may be worth the hour, I'd loose commuting). One option I'm looking at is a 3BD/2BA, $1350 - 1395+ utility/electricity costs.

I'm going check the apartments, poke around the neighborhood, and ride the route to see if sure how long it will take. PM me if you may be interested in apartment sharing or more info after I make my rental decision.

Also, if anyone in the DC area can comment in on what the utility/electricity costs might be it would be appreciated.
+1 on the utilities figures!

xjustyoursmile

Bronze

Post by xjustyoursmile » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:14 pm

jen1park wrote:

I found it! Once you have your netID which you can find in your admitted students website after you type in your LSAC for your credentials, go to 'Current Students' on the GULC website and then go to "My Access". Click on the "applicant" tab and then "Pay Deposit Online".. The first payment is $800 for general applicants. But just for some extra info for scholarship peeps, I only had to pay $400 when they offered me scholly.

risa

Bronze

Post by risa » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:15 pm

Never sure whether to post stuff like this in this forum or the acceptances/denials/waitlist one... this seems like a more appropriate spot but you get so much more traffic in the other. So I am posting in both.

Has anyone tried negotiating with GULC? Any idea from past years if they are open to it? Since I replied to the first merit scholarship email re: $ and offers, I've gotten another significant offer (full at UCLA). I'm sure they wouldn't match it but wondering if there's any chance I could get GULC to bump their offer of $20K per year up at all.

xjustyoursmile

Bronze

Post by xjustyoursmile » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:30 pm

risa wrote:Never sure whether to post stuff like this in this forum or the acceptances/denials/waitlist one... this seems like a more appropriate spot but you get so much more traffic in the other. So I am posting in both.

Has anyone tried negotiating with GULC? Any idea from past years if they are open to it? Since I replied to the first merit scholarship email re: $ and offers, I've gotten another significant offer (full at UCLA). I'm sure they wouldn't match it but wondering if there's any chance I could get GULC to bump their offer of $20K per year up at all.

I havent negotiated but i think you might as well try. UCLA is a peer school basically and a full scholly is nothing to ignore.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

morena

New

Post by morena » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:54 pm

risa wrote:Never sure whether to post stuff like this in this forum or the acceptances/denials/waitlist one... this seems like a more appropriate spot but you get so much more traffic in the other. So I am posting in both.

Current Georgetown 2L here. Congrats on your scholarship! It's definitely worth a shot. I received more money from Georgetown by merely mentioning I had received a more substantial offer from Univ. of Texas (but nothing close to a full ride).

luxxe

Silver

Post by luxxe » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:33 am

I'm not sure if negotiating with a lower ranked school would work, but I negotiated my scholarship up significantly with a Mich scholarship and then again with a UChicago waitlist acceptance/scholarship late in the summer. But definitely try!!

Career goals/personal preference for GULC & DC/deferment led to me choosing GULC ultimately.

risa

Bronze

Post by risa » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:15 am

Thanks for the insight, guys! @luxxe I agree negotiating with a higher-ranked school's offer would be better, but GULC matched my UVA and beat my Mich offer by a smidge, so my only larger offers at this time are from lower-ranked schools. I may wait and see what happens with PILS as well as what, if anything, is in the fin aid offer that Duke apparently mailed me last week.

jen1park

New

Post by jen1park » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:11 pm

xjustyoursmile wrote:
jen1park wrote:

I found it! Once you have your netID which you can find in your admitted students website after you type in your LSAC for your credentials, go to 'Current Students' on the GULC website and then go to "My Access". Click on the "applicant" tab and then "Pay Deposit Online".. The first payment is $800 for general applicants. But just for some extra info for scholarship peeps, I only had to pay $400 when they offered me scholly.
Thanks so much for the info.

Yes, I am heading over next week! Hope I see you there ;)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

moneyball026

Bronze

Post by moneyball026 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:16 am

risa wrote:Thanks for the insight, guys! @luxxe I agree negotiating with a higher-ranked school's offer would be better, but GULC matched my UVA and beat my Mich offer by a smidge, so my only larger offers at this time are from lower-ranked schools. I may wait and see what happens with PILS as well as what, if anything, is in the fin aid offer that Duke apparently mailed me last week.
I have tried negotiating and they said they will consider my request. I was told I would hear back by Friday. I, too, received equal or larger offers from higher ranked schools, but did not disclose details of those offers. If I get lowballed again, I will provide copies of those awards to Gtown. I will keep you guys posted.

hichvichwoh

Bronze

Post by hichvichwoh » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:46 am

moneyball026 wrote:
risa wrote:Thanks for the insight, guys! @luxxe I agree negotiating with a higher-ranked school's offer would be better, but GULC matched my UVA and beat my Mich offer by a smidge, so my only larger offers at this time are from lower-ranked schools. I may wait and see what happens with PILS as well as what, if anything, is in the fin aid offer that Duke apparently mailed me last week.
I have tried negotiating and they said they will consider my request. I was told I would hear back by Friday. I, too, received equal or larger offers from higher ranked schools, but did not disclose details of those offers. If I get lowballed again, I will provide copies of those awards to Gtown. I will keep you guys posted.
why would you not disclose the fact that you got better offers from higher ranked schools? unless you're hoping that they'll overshoot, it's probably more leverage for you if you just tell them. (Current 1L, got more money negotiating last year)

moneyball026

Bronze

Post by moneyball026 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:07 am

hichvichwoh wrote:
moneyball026 wrote:
why would you not disclose the fact that you got better offers from higher ranked schools? unless you're hoping that they'll overshoot, it's probably more leverage for you if you just tell them. (Current 1L, got more money negotiating last year)
Hoping they'll overshoot. I did not specifically mention the other offers but just said, higher offers from higher schools. If they don't up their award then I'll break out the other offers.

Bfalcon

Bronze

Post by Bfalcon » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:28 am

Fair enough. Though, this far after initial scholly offers, I can't see them overshooting. GULC doesn't seem like the kind of place to do so. My gut tells me it would have been better to be upfront about the amounts in order to save time. That said, we'll see...keep us updated!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bfalcon

Bronze

Post by Bfalcon » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:03 am

So question out there: I've been starting to check out neighbouroods, craigslist the metro paper listings etc (and padmapper!) for places to live in DC. Definitely looking at H St, U St, Logan Circle, East Market type places so far. How tricky is it to get something lined up for August this early in the year? I'm assuming May is prolly a better time to look...?

This group is quiet! I'm assuming that's because people haven't accepted their admittances yet...too early haha

Ps, if you're looking for a roomate, I'm interested - I'll be at the ASW next week if you want to meet up and see if we can jive!

luxxe

Silver

Post by luxxe » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:10 am

Bfalcon wrote:So question out there: I've been starting to check out neighbouroods, craigslist the metro paper listings etc (and padmapper!) for places to live in DC. Definitely looking at H St, U St, Logan Circle, East Market type places so far. How tricky is it to get something lined up for August this early in the year? I'm assuming May is prolly a better time to look...?

This group is quiet! I'm assuming that's because people haven't accepted their admittances yet...too early haha

Ps, if you're looking for a roomate, I'm interested - I'll be at the ASW next week if you want to meet up and see if we can jive!
Your best luck is going to be 30 days before you want your lease to start. DC housing market moves pretty quick.

I'm hoping for H St/U St though one of my future roommates is pushing for Columbia Heights. Do not want.

topped2013

New

Post by topped2013 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:08 pm

I'm starting to look at housing options also. I have to admit, Carmel Plaza is looking pretty attractive due to its (relatively) lower cost and its proximity to campus. I'm just throwing this out there - would anyone be interested in sharing a one bedroom and splitting rent and utilities? I was thinking one would have the actual bedroom and then we could partition most of the living room area for a second bedroom. (22m btw)

Just throwing it out. Housing sucks.

Rory19

Bronze

Post by Rory19 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:07 pm

Hi Everyone! I just sent in my Scholarship Intent to Enroll Form and am now happily planning my cross-country move.

I cannot fly out and look at housing ahead of time so I wondered if anyone has had an opportunity to tour or stay in Gewirz? The photos are very dorm like and when the semester living costs are divided by month it becomes very on par with apartments within 10 minutes walking distance that appear to be much higher quality. Does anyone have any perspectives on whether Gewirz if worth it? The only upside I can imagine is the utilities cost, proximity to other law school students, and convenient billing through the student account.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”