Georgetown 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
maxiguess

Bronze

Georgetown 2016

Post by maxiguess » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:23 pm

Applied 11/15, was asked to interview 11/30, had an interview that I think went really well last week. Now biting my nails. I've gotten in to GWU and Loyola so far.

az21833

Silver

Re: Georgetown 2016

Post by az21833 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:37 am

anybody home

bluecouch

Bronze

Post by bluecouch » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:59 pm

az21833 wrote:anybody home
I think most people are over in the GULC C/O 2016 acceptances/waitlists/denials thread arguing about the merit aid email.

Bfalcon

Bronze

Post by Bfalcon » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:45 pm

bluecouch wrote:
az21833 wrote:anybody home
I think most people are over in the GULC C/O 2016 acceptances/waitlists/denials thread arguing about the merit aid email.
Haha, such a TLS thing. I'm in! Looking forward to moving to DC and meeting all y'alls! (is that how you Americans say it?? :P )

Been taking a look at the differing curriculums. I like the idea of B - I feel that it might be a little more challenging, but also stimulating, and the collegial atmosphere would definitely be nice. It's a unique program, and in a school with such a large student body, I think it would be quite fun. That said, the traditional curriculum may be better suited for me, and the idea of taking an elective in international law could be the tipping factor.

luxxe

Silver

Post by luxxe » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:47 am

Hi all! I deferred from last cycle, really excited about finally getting to DC :). Ended up deferring around July, so I went through finaid/merit aid negotiations/housing/curriculum B/whatever if anyone has any questions about the process!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

xjustyoursmile

Bronze

Post by xjustyoursmile » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:42 pm

Hey peeps! (:
I practically officially part of GULC C/O 2016. I'm just waiting for them to get back to me about the merit scholarship. They said they'd get back in early March, but I'm getting really anxious.

Anybody going to the March Admits Days? I'm thinking of sending in the Gewirz app but I'm also considering meeting some people who would like to also be in Gewirz and would like a roommate.

Can't wait to visit campus and meet some of you. :D

sums

New

Post by sums » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:34 pm

I deferred last year so I'll be attending in the fall too! :)
Considering going to the admitted student open house March 21-22..anyone know of any good (cheap!) hotels?

Bfalcon

Bronze

Post by Bfalcon » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:16 pm

Hi Luxxe,
I've read some of your posts around the boards before - some really helpful stuff! Looking forward to meeting ya :)
Did anyone here apply to PILS? Luxxe, can you do Curriculum B if you're also a PILS? I don't see why not, but I know the Global Law scholars can't do it bc they have to take Int'l Law 1 as a 1st year elective.
XJustyoursmile, I hear you on the anxiousness for merit schollies...the email I received said March 1st-ish

I'm going to wait until the ASW to decide about Gewirz or living on my own. Not sure if I want to go back to the uni residence thing after being out for the last few years!

luxxe

Silver

Post by luxxe » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:59 am

Bfalcon wrote:Hi Luxxe,
I've read some of your posts around the boards before - some really helpful stuff! Looking forward to meeting ya :)
Did anyone here apply to PILS? Luxxe, can you do Curriculum B if you're also a PILS? I don't see why not, but I know the Global Law scholars can't do it bc they have to take Int'l Law 1 as a 1st year elective.
XJustyoursmile, I hear you on the anxiousness for merit schollies...the email I received said March 1st-ish

I'm going to wait until the ASW to decide about Gewirz or living on my own. Not sure if I want to go back to the uni residence thing after being out for the last few years!
You too! I loved meeting TLS people at ASW :)

A lot of the PILS that I met were in/had done curriculum B, so yes! I got in B last year, hopefully I get in again. I got to talk to a lot of current students/meet some of the profs and am (still) really excited about it. I am not impressive enough for PILS womp womp. I remember reading the bios of current PILS last year and crying in the dark.

I was planning on living in Gewirz last year, but will be living off campus instead. Kind of sad I won't get the Gewirz experience, but... I'm looking forward to escaping campus every now and then. And saving money.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bfalcon

Bronze

Post by Bfalcon » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:38 pm

That makes a lot of sense given the backgrounds I've read for the PILS online. Some really amazing people that I'm looking forward to meeting :) I'm definitely leaning to Cur. B, but it's the ability to take that elective that may sway me to the regular curriculum.

I'll only have 4 days or so in DC, so if I can get a good feel of the town and check out some locations off campus, then I will likely go that route. Luxxe are you in DC right now?

luxxe

Silver

Post by luxxe » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:34 pm

Bfalcon wrote:That makes a lot of sense given the backgrounds I've read for the PILS online. Some really amazing people that I'm looking forward to meeting :) I'm definitely leaning to Cur. B, but it's the ability to take that elective that may sway me to the regular curriculum.

I'll only have 4 days or so in DC, so if I can get a good feel of the town and check out some locations off campus, then I will likely go that route. Luxxe are you in DC right now?
Sadly no. Currently working on my master's in a far off and far less exciting place :(.

Bfalcon

Bronze

Post by Bfalcon » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:01 am

luxxe wrote: Sadly no. Currently working on my master's in a far off and far less exciting place :(.
Unexciting places are unfortunate! I moved from what I think is the most kick-ass city in the world to a province the rest of Canadians like to call "Onterrible". Sigh...

Very stoked for life in DC. Only been there once for a few days and loved it! Any tips for looking around for a place there - thoughts on a couple good neighbourhoods? Do you guys use kijiji or craigslist generally?

risa

Bronze

Post by risa » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:18 am

I wonder if those of us who submitted the 150 word essays for merit scholarship "finalists" will hear back today? The "finalist" email from Dean Cornblatt said "We will be back in touch with you by March 1st," but after I submitted, the confirmation email from someone named Caroline said "We will be back in touch with you in early March." Also, I just looked back and the very first merit scholarship consideration email said "The Committee hopes to make our initial scholarship awards via e-mail beginning around March 1st." Soooo... now that I've recapped all that I'll repeat: I wonder if some of us will get merit aid decisions today? :shock:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bfalcon

Bronze

Post by Bfalcon » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:11 am

risa wrote:I wonder if those of us who submitted the 150 word essays for merit scholarship "finalists" will hear back today? The "finalist" email from Dean Cornblatt said "We will be back in touch with you by March 1st," but after I submitted, the confirmation email from someone named Caroline said "We will be back in touch with you in early March." Also, I just looked back and the very first merit scholarship consideration email said "The Committee hopes to make our initial scholarship awards via e-mail beginning around March 1st." Soooo... now that I've recapped all that I'll repeat: I wonder if some of us will get merit aid decisions today? :shock:
+1...that said, I'm going on a limb and guessing that the awards will start to come out next week. I feel that committees will still be meeting today. We'll see though!!

luxxe

Silver

Post by luxxe » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:05 pm

Bfalcon wrote:
luxxe wrote: Sadly no. Currently working on my master's in a far off and far less exciting place :(.
Unexciting places are unfortunate! I moved from what I think is the most kick-ass city in the world to a province the rest of Canadians like to call "Onterrible". Sigh...

Very stoked for life in DC. Only been there once for a few days and loved it! Any tips for looking around for a place there - thoughts on a couple good neighbourhoods? Do you guys use kijiji or craigslist generally?
Haha, I lived in DC in 2011 and now I live in a Southern college town womp womp.

I'd suggest living on the red line - easier to get to campus, most interesting neighborhoods are along it. Craigslist is great for DC housing, but most places aren't listed more than 30-60 days out. I am hoping to live in the U St/Adams Morgan area. Not too expensive, lots of good bars/restaurants, full of 20-somethings.
Last edited by luxxe on Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

xjustyoursmile

Bronze

Post by xjustyoursmile » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:18 pm

Enrolling today (:

luxxe

Silver

Post by luxxe » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:28 pm

xjustyoursmile wrote:Enrolling today (:
:)! Yay. Excited to see how our class shapes up.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

xjustyoursmile

Bronze

Post by xjustyoursmile » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:27 am

luxxe wrote:
Are you doing A or B? (:

Bfalcon

Bronze

Post by Bfalcon » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:11 pm

Stoked to see you guys! You coming to the ASW xjustyoursmile?

Looking forward to hearing all the interesting stories and backgrounds in our class

luxxe

Silver

Post by luxxe » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:39 pm

xjustyoursmile wrote:
luxxe wrote:
Are you doing A or B? (:
B! What about you?

xjustyoursmile

Bronze

Post by xjustyoursmile » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:01 pm

Bfalcon wrote:Stoked to see you guys! You coming to the ASW xjustyoursmile?

Looking forward to hearing all the interesting stories and backgrounds in our class
Yeah I am! My parents are coming with, but I'm not sure if they'll be coming to the actual events. I'm really excited to meet everyone and of course the tours! I hope I have enough time to swing by the Smithsonian. I've been to DC only once before and I loved it.
luxxe wrote:
xjustyoursmile wrote:
luxxe wrote:
Are you doing A or B? (:
B! What about you?
I'm leaning towards A, but I'm not sure yet. Why are you choosing B? It's hard to make a solid decision for me right now. xD

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

HankBashir

Silver

Post by HankBashir » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:42 pm

I'm not sure if I'm attending or not yet, but I'll probably be at the March ASW

Bfalcon

Bronze

Post by Bfalcon » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:23 pm

Groovy! Smile you should definitely take the time to check out the Smithsonian. Was such a great experience last time I visited DC! My fave is Air and Space, but I was a planes nerd as a kid haha.

troar21

New

Post by troar21 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:02 pm

Just got the GULC "imagine." book in the mail. Getting excited for next year !

luxxe

Silver

Post by luxxe » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:00 am

xjustyoursmile wrote: I'm leaning towards A, but I'm not sure yet. Why are you choosing B? It's hard to make a solid decision for me right now. xD
I am a lot more interested in public interest/policy and I like the idea of a non-traditional schedule with a super close-knit, left-leaning group :). It is more work, which, as I drown in grad school reading makes me want to sob, but I thought a lot about it last year and I'm going to go with it again.

I'm so happy I popped back on TLS again because thinking about August is making this semester seem less endless haha.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”