Texas Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
ironbmike

Bronze

Re: Texas Class of 2016

Post by ironbmike » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:01 pm

philosoraptor wrote:Hey guys, Texas 3L here. Congrats on choosing UT! I'm happy to answer questions if you want, particularly about out-of-stater issues. There are quite a few of us on TLS, so hopefully others will chime in as well. If you're still considering UT, I can also speak to that.
I'm from Virginia. How are outsiders received there, and how is the job market?

philosoraptor

Silver

Post by philosoraptor » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:21 pm

ironbmike wrote:
philosoraptor wrote:Hey guys, Texas 3L here. Congrats on choosing UT! I'm happy to answer questions if you want, particularly about out-of-stater issues. There are quite a few of us on TLS, so hopefully others will chime in as well. If you're still considering UT, I can also speak to that.
My experience was pretty positive as an outsider, but the job market in Texas is going to be tough to crack unless you have ties (pre-existing or manufactured) or are on law review with good grades. If you have ties to other markets and have respectable grades, Texas certainly won't hold you back; it may even be a boost, depending on the quality of the local law schools.

Any idea what you want to do or where you want to practice?

ironbmike

Bronze

Post by ironbmike » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:30 am

philosoraptor wrote:
ironbmike wrote:
My experience was pretty positive as an outsider, but the job market in Texas is going to be tough to crack unless you have ties (pre-existing or manufactured) or are on law review with good grades. If you have ties to other markets and have respectable grades, Texas certainly won't hold you back; it may even be a boost, depending on the quality of the local law schools.

Any idea what you want to do or where you want to practice?
Ideally in the Northern Virginia area; I have ties here through work. But if I went to school at Texas I would prefer to look for work in Texas than come back to Virginia, although that would be an option.

old joe clark

New

Post by old joe clark » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:54 pm

Just paid my seat deposit. See you guys and girls soon!

ironbmike

Bronze

Post by ironbmike » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:01 pm

Any advice on housing? I don't want to live with undergrads, and I don't want to live in a crappy/old apartment. Any areas to look into?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:04 pm

ironbmike wrote:Any advice on housing? I don't want to live with undergrads, and I don't want to live in a crappy/old apartment. Any areas to look into?
North Campus/Hyde Park is definitely the place to be for these requirements.

StylinNProfilin

Bronze

Post by StylinNProfilin » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:12 pm

Arent most of the apartments in Hyde Park pretty damn old?

mg7

Bronze

Post by mg7 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:16 pm

StylinNProfilin wrote:Arent most of the apartments in Hyde Park pretty damn old?
Yeah, and I also know a lot of undergrads who live in that area too.

eaper

Silver

Post by eaper » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:55 pm

mg7 wrote:
StylinNProfilin wrote:Arent most of the apartments in Hyde Park pretty damn old?
Look around Red River just north of campus. There are also some nice apartments around Hyde Park in general.

And most apartments I've seen in general are pretty damn old. The ones that aren't are either way out or full of noisy undergrads from what I've seen.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:57 pm

Oh yeah good point... The Triangle might be a good spot then, pretty pricey though.

mg7

Bronze

Post by mg7 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:44 pm

Damn I forgot how annoying it is looking for a place to live in a city you're not currently living in.

timeandspace11

Silver

Post by timeandspace11 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:32 pm

I can deal with old apartments as long as they are not infested with rats or bugs. Affordability and proximity to campus are definitely more important to me than age.

ironbmike

Bronze

Post by ironbmike » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:54 pm

timeandspace11 wrote:I can deal with old apartments as long as they are not infested with rats or bugs. Affordability and proximity to campus are definitely more important to me than age.
Agreed. Bed bugs and rodents scare the living hell out of me. Old is fine as long as it is clean, but I am very wary.

Edit: Thanks for the advice everyone

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:08 pm

A lot of the old apartment complexes have been updated on the inside, so they don't look too bad, at least from what I can tell via internet searches. There are also some condo complexes near the Crown & Anchor/Posse area that look decent - the Benchmark, Windtree, Oakview. Those are in the $1500-1600/mo for 2 bedroom range.

timeandspace11

Silver

Post by timeandspace11 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:55 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:A lot of the old apartment complexes have been updated on the inside, so they don't look too bad, at least from what I can tell via internet searches. There are also some condo complexes near the Crown & Anchor/Posse area that look decent - the Benchmark, Windtree, Oakview. Those are in the $1500-1600/mo for 2 bedroom range.

Thanks! I personally am more interested a studio. According to Craigslist and Padmapper it seems around the Hyde Park/North Campus area they run from $600-$750 getting progressively cheaper further out.

grapefruits

Bronze

Post by grapefruits » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:36 pm

Anyone planning on being there April 5th? I feel like the smaller visits at all law schools are going to be relatively unattended.

turbotong

Bronze

Post by turbotong » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:19 pm

Current 2L. I'll be there on April 5th running two of the student org. tables during the morning.
Hope to see you all there.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:59 pm

Crossposting from the applicants thread:

Hey guys, I hope you're all really excited for ASD this weekend! We will definitely be having a party at my place on Friday night. I live literally across the street from the law school with 5 current UT Law students in a very large house where we host many parties, and we will provide plenty of drinks for everyone. They are also still looking for a incoming 1L to be a roommate in the house in the fall, and the house has a million perks including the perfect location and TONS of old outlines and books. So I'm inviting everyone to come enjoy some drinks with your future classmates Friday night after ASD!

People will be at the house drinking and watching March Madness on our amazing setup (two 60" TVs in the living room) pretty much all day, and I'll be there after the last ASD event around 4pm. Any of you guys are totally free to come over to hang out and watch basketball from that point on, but I assume the party won't really get going until 8pm or so.

Our place is just on the other side of the road at 706 E. Dean Keeton.

Please don't hesitate to show up! Everyone in the house is super friendly and enthusiastic about UT Law and we'd love to have you guys! If nothing else, free booze!

dkb17xzx

Bronze

Post by dkb17xzx » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:13 am

checking in... unless BC offers me a full ride

Anyone heard about Graduate Student Housing? Something like $550 / month + electric.

StylinNProfilin

Bronze

Post by StylinNProfilin » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:15 am

Curious..are these the apartments on Lake Austin? thats hella cheap

AFS

New

Post by AFS » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:51 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:
Oh yeah good point... The Triangle might be a good spot then, pretty pricey though.
I know a few law students living in The Triangle and they really like it. Personally, I like living walking distance from the law school, though you'd be paying more for the location than for the quality of the apartment. It's really convenient to be able to walk to school whenever you want (it hardly ever rains here as well) and not have to rely on buses.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dkb17xzx

Bronze

Post by dkb17xzx » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:44 am

StylinNProfilin wrote:Curious..are these the apartments on Lake Austin? thats hella cheap

http://www.utexas.edu/student/housing/i ... e=2&id=639

Longhorn88

Bronze

Post by Longhorn88 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:58 am

StylinNProfilin wrote:Curious..are these the apartments on Lake Austin? thats hella cheap
They're great if you're looking for that 1970's Soviet Ukraine feel. Otherwise stick with Hyde Park or other condos.
mg7 wrote:
There's gonna be undergrads everywhere north or west of campus but Hyde Park is generally pretty quiet, at least compared to West Campus. There's also some nice places on South Congress or around downtown if you don't mind paying more or commuting.

michaelm55

Bronze

Post by michaelm55 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:40 am

I will be attending this Fall.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:43 am

Shout out to TLS at ASW!!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.