Penn Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
PennBull

Diamond

Re: Penn Class of 2016

Post by PennBull » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:01 am

europhile wrote:

Definitely. I found a place on 43rd and Spruce for 805 a month with all utilities inluded (including monthly cleaning). I'll be living in a 8 bedroom Victorian with a bunch of other Penn students and researchers that some really cool. My room is 325 square feet and has a fireplace. The smaller rooms in the house are cheaper than mine (645-755 with all utilities included). Feel free to PM me if you are looking for housing, we still have three rooms left to fill.
Also, if anybody on here is going to be in Philly in August (before orientation) we should organize some outings (bars, Phillies games, whatever).
No way! This is at least the third year in a row that Penn Law has got a house together. I lived on 42nd and bBaltimore with 6 other law students and a Penn design school bro, and this past year a buncha 1Ls got a house on 46th and Spruce and threw and awesome Halloween party.

Highly recommended!

SaintsTheMetal

Bronze

Post by SaintsTheMetal » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:21 pm

europhile wrote: Also, if anybody on here is going to be in Philly in August (before orientation) we should organize some outings (bars, Phillies games, whatever).
hell yea. I'm moving out to philly this week so I'm down to do whatever until school starts!

dsn32

Bronze

Post by dsn32 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:20 pm

hopelessoptimist wrote:Thank you laotze and PenBull! It's very helpful to hear the different perspectives on where to look and what to keep in mind when doing so.

Another quick question, though (sorry, like I said, I'm totally foreign to Philly and trying to learn it all quickly). When I compare the school's estimated COA with the amount rent and utilities typically cost for decent studios and 1-bedroom places in both UC and CC, which seem to range anywhere from around $1,000/month to $1,400/month, it appears hardly affordable/livable, especially since the COA only covers the academic year and most places have 12-month leases instead of 9-month. Plus, with limited possibility of subletting over the summer if one leaves Philly, I guess I'm simply wondering, where do students find decent, affordable housing so close to the school while largely remaining on the constrained budget loans entail? Is it absolutely necessary to have a roommate, or am I just totally missing altogether more reasonably priced, fairly nice apartments within walking distance of the law school?

Thanks again for all the help!
Penn's COA seems very middle of the road in terms of how much they give you compared to rent (my opinion). Its not like Michigan's (where you basically live in poverty because they're trying to make COA look less) or like Duke (where you can live like a king/queen), but I think its enough. I found a ten month lease at 41st and Spruce for 885 a month, with the option to extend it through the summer or an entire year if I choose to do so. To me, I noticed a huge difference between the quality of apartments and neighborhoods that were 850-950 as opposed to 700-850 per month.

Also, as someone who has checked out most of Philly's neighborhoods just to see what I'm getting myself into, I would say that between 43rd (around Chestnut) to 46th (on Spruce) was my Western limit. Not to say that the areas west of that are "ghetto" or "unsafe" (although I'm from Detroit, so those are the neighborhoods I consider to be those things), but I just don't see the need to be out that far unless you need to for the money or socially.

europhile

New

Post by europhile » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:16 pm

SaintsTheMetal wrote:
europhile wrote: Also, if anybody on here is going to be in Philly in August (before orientation) we should organize some outings (bars, Phillies games, whatever).
hell yea. I'm moving out to philly this week so I'm down to do whatever until school starts!
Nice. I won't be moving out until August 1, but everyone on TLS that will be in Philly before orientation should get together at least once in August.

dsn32

Bronze

Post by dsn32 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:36 am

europhile wrote:
SaintsTheMetal wrote:
Nice. I won't be moving out until August 1, but everyone on TLS that will be in Philly before orientation should get together at least once in August.
I should be there starting the weekend of August 16-18 and would love to take part in this!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mr. Frodo

Bronze

Post by Mr. Frodo » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:44 pm

dsn32 wrote:
europhile wrote:
SaintsTheMetal wrote:
I should be there starting the weekend of August 16-18 and would love to take part in this!
Count me in! I've lived in Univ. City since 2008 so I'm always around.

laotze

Bronze

Post by laotze » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:36 pm

PennBull wrote:
jumpin munkey wrote: But west of 49th/50th, it gets really hairy, really quickly. Seems wise to tell some incoming 1L from Connecticut that they don't need to be looking in that vicinity.
He referred to the area west of "45th" as a "violent ghetto." Uh, no.
My bad. From west of 45th to "west of 50th" and from violent ghetto to "neighborhood of higher violent crime rates than certain more eastwardly neighborhoods in a city that already has one of the worst violent crime rates in the developed world."

To be fair, I have friends that have been mugged everywhere in this town from Society Hill to the steps of City Hall, so I guess the moral of the story is just to be cautious, walk with confidence, and stay aware of your surroundings. And schools are generally safe, as has been noted, what with campus cop cars parked on every other block and floodlit emergency stations every hundred meters or so.
PennBull wrote: A.) You tell someone that, and they probably won't bother looking at 40th-45th either, and B.) it's not even remotely as bad as he made it seem.
You're right, it's not, though I still can't say I would recommend 45th+ for someone new to the city. I'm probably projecting too many of my own North Philly horror stories on a West Philly that is moving rapidly away from the rock bottom of the 80s and into a much more gentrified, family-friendly neighborhood of the aughts.

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:41 pm

I'll cosign that. It's cool to have preferences bro, no problem with that at all.

stacy

New

Post by stacy » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:26 pm

Anyone know when tuition has to be paid by?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

europhile

New

Post by europhile » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:35 am

stacy wrote:Anyone know when tuition has to be paid by?
I received a bill in the mail last week that states that tuition and fees for the first semester are due by July 31st.

stacy

New

Post by stacy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:46 pm

europhile wrote:
stacy wrote:Anyone know when tuition has to be paid by?
I received a bill in the mail last week that states that tuition and fees for the first semester are due by July 31st.
Thank you much!

senorhosh

Bronze

Post by senorhosh » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:00 pm

I'm on the WL.. It's a long shot but need to plan out just in case... I was wondering when is the check in date and first day of class?

stacy

New

Post by stacy » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:56 pm

senorhosh wrote:I'm on the WL.. It's a long shot but need to plan out just in case... I was wondering when is the check in date and first day of class?
Mandatory to be there on Aug. 28th

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

whuntington3

Bronze

Post by whuntington3 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:42 pm

If we aren't living on campus, do we actually have to do the immunization stuff?

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:35 pm

whuntington3 wrote:If we aren't living on campus, do we actually have to do the immunization stuff?
Yeah.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:26 pm

whuntington3 wrote:If we aren't living on campus, do we actually have to do the immunization stuff?
Just wait til you're in Philly and do it at student health. They're weirdly picky about what versions of certain stuff you get.

SaintsTheMetal

Bronze

Post by SaintsTheMetal » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:01 pm

Nelson wrote:
Just wait til you're in Philly and do it at student health. They're weirdly picky about what versions of certain stuff you get.
Assuming I called the right number today (some GPs at Penn) they said their next available appointments weren't until September. And that you'd have to do some kind of initial appointment before you can even followup with the vaccinations.

the number I called was (215) 349-5200

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:09 am

SaintsTheMetal wrote:
Nelson wrote:
Assuming I called the right number today (some GPs at Penn) they said their next available appointments weren't until September. And that you'd have to do some kind of initial appointment before you can even followup with the vaccinations.

Really? I just made a vaccination appointment through the student health number and did it during orientation. http://www.vpul.upenn.edu/shs/appointments.php

SaintsTheMetal

Bronze

Post by SaintsTheMetal » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:32 pm

Nelson wrote:
SaintsTheMetal wrote:
Nelson wrote:

Really? I just made a vaccination appointment through the student health number and did it during orientation. http://www.vpul.upenn.edu/shs/appointments.php
Ahh I guess I had called internal medicine before. Student health said they still can't see you until August 15th (as an incoming 1L.) Plenty of other doctors around here though that will see you before then though

TBZ28

New

Post by TBZ28 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:11 am

Does anyone know what time of the day most classes start? Or what the earliest time they could start is? I can't find any sort of schedule online.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:56 am

TBZ28 wrote:Does anyone know what time of the day most classes start? Or what the earliest time they could start is? I can't find any sort of schedule online.
Depends on your section. 9 is the earliest 1L class time I believe. Some 2L/3L classes start earlier.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TBZ28

New

Post by TBZ28 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:24 am

Nelson wrote:
TBZ28 wrote:Does anyone know what time of the day most classes start? Or what the earliest time they could start is? I can't find any sort of schedule online.
Depends on your section. 9 is the earliest 1L class time I believe. Some 2L/3L classes start earlier.
That's not too bad....haha thanks!

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:27 am

Nelson wrote:
Yeah very rarely they'll be at 830 for upperclassmen

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:41 pm

TBZ28 wrote:
Nelson wrote:
That's not too bad....haha thanks!
I didn't have any before 1030, FWIW. But I think my section was the only one to be that lucky.

karich

New

Post by karich » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:22 pm

Anyone have any idea about what the internet/cable situation is like in UCity? Which companies are in the area/which don't suck?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”