NYU Law Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
estamosjuntos

New

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Post by estamosjuntos » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:24 am

So, I applied for a Triple in D'ag and was placed in a Double in D'ag. That's confusing considering I'm hearing plenty of people say they have open spots in their Triples. Any chance of changing into a Triple once people turn them down or even now, considering there's already open spaces?

lawprospie

Bronze

Post by lawprospie » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:30 pm

estamosjuntos wrote:So, I applied for a Triple in D'ag and was placed in a Double in D'ag. That's confusing considering I'm hearing plenty of people say they have open spots in their Triples. Any chance of changing into a Triple once people turn them down or even now, considering there's already open spaces?
Did you apply for a triple or multiple? For example, perhaps the only triples left are the ones classified as upper. Perhaps there are only male or female triples left. OR, NYU just wants your $

HawkeyeGirl

Bronze

Post by HawkeyeGirl » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:54 pm

I just got my housing assignment (yay!!) and received a room in Mercer on the Broadway side. Luckily this is what I asked for, but I was just wondering how loud is that side?

Also, if it says my roommate's name in the email, but not on the housing portal, does that mean that person is still my roommate?

ssteiner

Bronze

Post by ssteiner » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:05 pm

HawkeyeGirl wrote:I just got my housing assignment (yay!!) and received a room in Mercer on the Broadway side. Luckily this is what I asked for, but I was just wondering how loud is that side?

Also, if it says my roommate's name in the email, but not on the housing portal, does that mean that person is still my roommate?
The housing portal is new (we didn't apply through it), so I wouldn't be surprised if it still has some kinks. I'd trust what's in the email.

senorhosh

Bronze

Post by senorhosh » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:18 am

Haven't been able to access housing application for the past 2 days
I get an error message when I log in saying my session has timed out.

Anyone had this problem?

Also, is there a deposit that we have to put down for housing? If so, how much is it?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HawkeyeGirl

Bronze

Post by HawkeyeGirl » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:31 am

senorhosh wrote:Haven't been able to access housing application for the past 2 days

Anyone had this problem?

Also, is there a deposit that we have to put down for housing? If so, how much is it?
I don't think there's a deposit. This is what the housing email says regarding payment:
Payment is due as invoiced. You will receive an invoice from the University Bursar which will include the amounts due for housing and tuition, and all other charges due under or as a consequence of this License. Payment for the 2013 fall semester is due in early August 2013.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:15 pm

How longs that college questionnaire thing take to process? Just emailed my UG on a Friday after 5 asking them about it and subtlety dropping the whole, due in 10 days thing.

americanman

New

Post by americanman » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:56 pm

sinfiery wrote:How longs that college questionnaire thing take to process? Just emailed my UG on a Friday after 5 asking them about it and subtlety dropping the whole, due in 10 days thing.
Mine was noted on the status checker within five business days of my asking.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:48 am

HawkeyeGirl wrote:
senorhosh wrote:Haven't been able to access housing application for the past 2 days

Anyone had this problem?

I don't think there's a deposit. This is what the housing email says regarding payment:
Payment is due as invoiced. You will receive an invoice from the University Bursar which will include the amounts due for housing and tuition, and all other charges due under or as a consequence of this License. Payment for the 2013 fall semester is due in early August 2013.
I didn't go through university housing, but I'm fairly sure that there's some deposit fee

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawschoolboundfuture

Bronze

Post by lawschoolboundfuture » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:25 am

Do we need to do something to confirm our housing?

Jacq2212

Bronze

Post by Jacq2212 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:11 am

porch wrote:
ssteiner wrote:
porch wrote:
ssteiner wrote:Yeah, my roommate did that.
did he still have room to live with it? bc i know you cant take the other one out they said?
Well, my roommate actually gave me the bed, because I wanted a double bed for me and my girlfriend when she stays over. I live in an F-type room, and there was room in my bedroom for the two school-issued beds. Also, no one is going to care if you lend your bed out to someone else in Mercer, people do it all the time. At the start of every semester there are usually multiple coases posts about it.

awesome, thanks a ton

+1million
This just made my day.

T20hopeful89

Bronze

Post by T20hopeful89 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:07 am

For those of you still figuring out housing - I currently live in a beautiful apartment on the uws, but am moving out to attend Cornell. I am looking to fill the spot though, so be in touch if you want more info! Females only, please!

congrats on nyu!

one_by_one

Bronze

Post by one_by_one » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:33 pm

Last edited by one_by_one on Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HawkeyeGirl

Bronze

Post by HawkeyeGirl » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:40 pm

one_by_one wrote:I'm really curious as to what the class size will be, especially since the Facebook group only has 253 people right now. I hope that they do cut down a bit, but I guess we won't know until orientation!
I've been wondering the same thing. I don't think the fb group is sponsored by NYU though. As in, NYU has never sent us a link to it or referenced it. So that could be why it's so small right now. I could also be wrong about that, in which case it's an enigma

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:46 pm

one_by_one wrote:I'm really curious as to what the class size will be, especially since the Facebook group only has 253 people right now. I hope that they do cut down a bit, but I guess we won't know until orientation!
they won't cut it

HawkeyeGirl

Bronze

Post by HawkeyeGirl » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:00 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
they won't cut it
Any idea why? Seems like the logical thing to do when applications drop significantly...

ssteiner

Bronze

Post by ssteiner » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:01 pm

FWIW, I think ours was about that size at this time last year as well. A lot of people join the first week of classes. We only have around 430 now, and that includes a significant number of members from upper classes that joined to post event details and the like.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

senorhosh

Bronze

Post by senorhosh » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:46 pm

Haven't heard back from housing yet but I hear they're full.

if i get waitlisted for housing, at what point should I throw in the towel and put a housing deposit somewhere else? Is the nyc housing process faster/slower/more complicated than other cities?

kola141

New

Post by kola141 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:18 am

So I know 1Ls have to move-in on August 21 for orientation, so I'm a little confused as to why I received an e-mail from the Office of Res. Life saying that they're "excited to welcome me on August 24." I assume that this is a mistake, and that they just send this to everyone living in Mercer/D'ag without paying attention to what year the student is in.

I know we pay a JD1 fee for arriving on August 21, but when do we do that? I assume this payment isn't part of the "Early Arrival" application, which I'm told only applies to 1Ls if you plan to arrive before August 21 (which I do not).

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:27 pm

kola141 wrote:So I know 1Ls have to move-in on August 21 for orientation, so I'm a little confused as to why I received an e-mail from the Office of Res. Life saying that they're "excited to welcome me on August 24." I assume that this is a mistake, and that they just send this to everyone living in Mercer/D'ag without paying attention to what year the student is in.

I know we pay a JD1 fee for arriving on August 21, but when do we do that? I assume this payment isn't part of the "Early Arrival" application, which I'm told only applies to 1Ls if you plan to arrive before August 21 (which I do not).
curious for this aswell, can we move in on the 21st without an early arrival application?

kola141

New

Post by kola141 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:18 pm

Ah, figured it out! From the e-mail they sent telling me my housing assignment:

"Students scheduled to arrive on Wednesday, August 21 will be charged the corresponding JD1 Orientation Housing Fee for their stay during this time (Wednesday, August 21 to Friday, August 23, 2013)."

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:52 pm

Horrah, more debt!

Thanks for finding that. Do we need to fill out that early arrival form if we are coming the first day of orientation I take it? Hmm...I dunno if ill be coming for the full orientation then

kola141

New

Post by kola141 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:06 pm

From the housing website:

"All entering JD1 students with a confirmed 2013-14 academic year housing assignment are scheduled to arrive on Wednesday, August 21, 2013 in order to take part in JD1 Orientation. Students scheduled to arrive on Wednesday, August 21, will be charged the corresponding JD1 Orientation Housing Fee for their stay during this time (Wednesday, August 21 to Saturday, August 24, 2013).

JD1 residents who would like to arrive prior to Wednesday, August 21, should submit an Early Arrival Application requesting to do so."

I'm pretty sure this means that if you're planning on moving in on Aug. 21 for orientation then you don't need to fill out anything.

You're also already scheduled to arrive on Aug. 21, so if you're planning on coming later you should definitely talk to them about it first. They also say JD1 orientation is "required for all first year students," so I would definitely clear it with them in advance if you plan on missing part of it.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:16 pm

Yeah, that's exactly what I read before but then I think we both got this email or atleast I did

Hope that your summer is going well.

We look forward to welcoming you to NYU School of Law Housing on Saturday, August 24. If you would like to check-in prior to August 24th please apply for Early Arrival status via

So this is a typo I'm assuming? I dunno

I'm gonna wait it out for a few weeks

kola141

New

Post by kola141 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:17 pm

It has to be a typo.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”