NYU Law Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
nextstep222

New

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Post by nextstep222 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:46 pm

Hi all --

WL --> accepted student filing my housing application as we speak. Can anyone offer some insight on the Mercer/D'Ag debate? I don't care about living in a triple at all, but windows/a nice view (I hear that somewhere in Mercer gets a view of the East River/Brooklyn Bridge?!) is important to me. I want to live in the building that's further from the bars (that's Mercer, right...?) I've read through the thread, but I'm hoping some current students can make some specific recommendations to that particular preference.

I think either way I'm going to call tomorrow to see if anything is even left to begin with, and shoot for that, but since I'm from the area I don't really care if things go sour or come out late, I can live at home or find an apartment quick, last minute. Thanks for the help!

Finally: for students coming off the WL who are currently WL'ed at other places, what's the policy for last-minute cancellations? My understanding is that we're not penalized the entire fee, but I wasn't sure...

Anciano

Bronze

Post by Anciano » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:00 pm

nextstep222 wrote:Hi all --

WL --> accepted student filing my housing application as we speak. Can anyone offer some insight on the Mercer/D'Ag debate? I don't care about living in a triple at all, but windows/a nice view (I hear that somewhere in Mercer gets a view of the East River/Brooklyn Bridge?!) is important to me. I want to live in the building that's further from the bars (that's Mercer, right...?) I've read through the thread, but I'm hoping some current students can make some specific recommendations to that particular preference.
Congrats!

I live in Mercer, but on the wrong side of the building to be able to comment on East River/Brooklyn Bridge views. Some people on the Broadway side were able to see the flash from the transformer explosion during Sandy so I guess it's possible. I wouldn't count on getting a floor high enough, though, since the building is only twenty stories. That side of the building is a bit louder, too, if that changes anything for you.

Mercer is definitely further from the bars and from school, and it's more expensive, but the rooms are nicer and quite a bit bigger. For what it's worth, a lot of my rising 2L friends are moving from D'Ag to Mercer, but I know very few people going the opposite way.

Also you should check out our taking questions thread.

kola141

New

Post by kola141 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:24 am

I was on another WL for a while so I did some research about this. I think you'll have to pay the housing cancellation penalty fee ($1200 if I'm not mistaken since it's after the no-penalty deadline). Also, if you plan to take out federal loans, you should probably wait until orientation since that whole process could get messy if you have to change schools after you've applied for the loan. As for housing, I think you're right that they'll just put you wherever there's an opening. (Not sure if you're male or female, but apparently all male housing options are officially filled according to the Facebook group). Congrats!

bailey8078

Bronze

Post by bailey8078 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:04 am

So I was just looking around ALBERT and it says I'm in LAW-LW section 1. Is everyone currently listed as section 1 or is this an indication of the section we're in?

jakeymay

New

Post by jakeymay » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:41 am

Mine also says section 1.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GoldHattedGatsby

Bronze

Post by GoldHattedGatsby » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:59 pm

bailey8078 wrote:So I was just looking around ALBERT and it says I'm in LAW-LW section 1. Is everyone currently listed as section 1 or is this an indication of the section we're in?

Where did you see this on Albert?

displacedsoutherner

New

Post by displacedsoutherner » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:44 pm

Mine says section 1, too. I assume it's just an umbrella thing for first-year students, and we'll all be subdivided into our actual sections later. Could be wrong, though.

woolfiot

New

Post by woolfiot » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:24 pm

Yeah, I remember reading in a previous year's thread that it's just a placeholder until our sections are assigned.

GoldHattedGatsby

Bronze

Post by GoldHattedGatsby » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:07 pm

Found it. Yup, also listed as section 001

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

senorhosh

Bronze

Post by senorhosh » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:31 am

Anyone know if book/reading list is up yet? Or when it might be?
Looking to get used textbooks so I want to order them asap

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:07 pm

So now for repayment on all the amazing advice I've given you guys (lol) - here is my list of books for sale. Name your price, I don't really care what they sell for as long as they go:

TEXTBOOKS
Kadish, Schulhofer, Steiker, Barkow - Criminal Law and Its Processes, Cases and Materials - 9th Ed. (one copy with some writing and highlighting, another with barely any highlighting, both in excellent condition)

Bressman, Rubin, Stack - The Regulatory State (some highlighting and a pink stain on some of the pages from rain bleed)

Barnett - Contracts, Cases and Doctrine - 5th Ed. (some highlighting and a few notes in margins - excellent condition)

Dunoff, Ratner, Wippman - Internationa Law Norms Actors Process, A problem oriented approach - 3rd Ed. (minor highlighting and underlining - excellent condition)

SUPPLEMENTS
E & Es:
Torts (mint condition), Contract (near mint), Civ Pro (minor highlighting - excellent condition), Civ Pro (minor highlighting, slightly bent cover page), Torts (minor highlighting/underlining - very good condition), Contracts (some highlighting and writing - very good condition) Corporations (mint condition), Administrative Law (excellent condition)

Concepts and Insights:
Contracts - Chirelstein - (minor highlighting, very good condition)
Contracts - Chirelstein - (bent cover, good condition)

Getting to Maybe (near mint)
Concise Hornbook - Principles of International Law (near mint)
Understanding Criminal Law, Dressler - (minor highlighting, near mint)
Emmanuel's Administrative Law Outline (near mint)
Contracts, Farnsworth (minor highlighting, excellent condition)
Perspectives on Contract Law, Barnett (mint condition)
Torts, Epstein (minor highlighting, excellent condition)

PM me for contact info if you want to buy stuff. I'll also probably be at orientation in some capacity

beautyistruth

Bronze

Post by beautyistruth » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:13 pm

I'm sure I'd be interested in at least some of those books if we had our textbook list. Does anybody know when/where we get that?

xlawschoolhopefulx

Bronze

Post by xlawschoolhopefulx » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:49 pm

beautyistruth wrote:I'm sure I'd be interested in at least some of those books if we had our textbook list. Does anybody know when/where we get that?
If you google NYU Bookstore Search for a Book, it comes up. It lets you enter your Net ID and birthday and displays the courses you are taking and the required books for each of them. IIRC the books were available around mid-August last year, so they may not be up yet.

I am also looking to sell textbooks and supplements for 1L classes (Torts, Civ Pro, Crim, Contracts and LRS). All of them are used but considering that are in relatively good condition. Details below, PM if you're interested in buying!

Civil Procedure- Friedenthal- 10E (I also have the E&E and the Issacharoff Concepts and Insights book, which I highly recommend using)
Torts- Epstein- 10E (and E&E)
Contract Law and Theory- Scott- 4E (and E&E)
Criminal Law- Kadish- 9E (cut into 5 sections) (and E&E)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nextstep222

New

Post by nextstep222 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:00 pm

Hey folks -- can anyone comment or offer any advice on financial aid appeals? I just found out I qualify for nada, which seems really strange considering my very, very low income. Especially helpful would be comments from WL-->accepted folks who got financial aid, or didn't, because my instinct is that I'm getting ripped off because of how late it is in the game.

PM if you can, and thanks!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:07 pm

xlawschoolhopefulx wrote:
beautyistruth wrote:I'm sure I'd be interested in at least some of those books if we had our textbook list. Does anybody know when/where we get that?
If you google NYU Bookstore Search for a Book, it comes up. It lets you enter your Net ID and birthday and displays the courses you are taking and the required books for each of them. IIRC the books were available around mid-August last year, so they may not be up yet.

I am also looking to sell textbooks and supplements for 1L classes (Torts, Civ Pro, Crim, Contracts and LRS). All of them are used but considering that are in relatively good condition. Details below, PM if you're interested in buying!

Civil Procedure- Friedenthal- 10E (I also have the E&E and the Issacharoff Concepts and Insights book, which I highly recommend using)
Torts- Epstein- 10E (and E&E)
Contract Law and Theory- Scott- 4E (and E&E)
Criminal Law- Kadish- 9E (cut into 5 sections) (and E&E)
yeah I just got my first class listing and I'm guessing the 1Ls get them later b/c they can't finalize sections due to last minute withdrawals/admits

balder

New

Post by balder » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:17 am

Joining from waitlist. Looking forward to the fall :)

balder

New

Post by balder » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:20 am

Anyone have any tips regarding housing? As I have understood on campus is full at the moment.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kola141

New

Post by kola141 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:08 pm

balder wrote:Joining from waitlist. Looking forward to the fall :)
balder wrote:Anyone have any tips regarding housing? As I have understood on campus is full at the moment.
Congrats and welcome! :D

The Facebook group would be a good place to find information on this... you may have to scroll down a little but housing has been discussed extensively.

balder

New

Post by balder » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:23 am

kola141 wrote:
balder wrote:Joining from waitlist. Looking forward to the fall :)
balder wrote:Anyone have any tips regarding housing? As I have understood on campus is full at the moment.
Congrats and welcome! :D

The Facebook group would be a good place to find information on this... you may have to scroll down a little but housing has been discussed extensively.

Okey, many thanks! Looks like I will be able to get on campus housing but will definitely join the group.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:47 am

I went to the bookstore yesterday and got the price they're charging for used versions of some of these. I'll post their price and my (negotiable) price:

Kadish, Schulhofer, Steiker, Barkow - Criminal Law and Its Processes, Cases and Materials - 9th Ed. (one copy with some writing and highlighting, another with barely any highlighting, both in excellent condition)
BOOKSTORE: $168.00 (used). Me: $125 each

Bressman, Rubin, Stack - The Regulatory State (some highlighting and a pink stain on some of the pages from rain bleed)
BOOKSTORE: $140.25 (used). Me: $85 (it's still very usable, the bleed is mostly in the introductory pages)

Barnett - Contracts, Cases and Doctrine - 5th Ed. (some highlighting and a few notes in margins - excellent condition)
BOOKSTORE: $167.25. Me: $125

Dunoff, Ratner, Wippman - Internationa Law Norms Actors Process, A problem oriented approach - 3rd Ed. (minor highlighting and underlining - excellent condition)
BOOKSTORE: $150.75. Me: $105

bailey8078

Bronze

Post by bailey8078 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:53 am

Schedules are up on Albert. Section 1 for me.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

happyshapy

Bronze

Post by happyshapy » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:31 pm

Last edited by happyshapy on Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anciano

Bronze

Post by Anciano » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:40 pm

Reposting from Ask a 2L thread:

A great way to find out about professors is to check their course evaluations here. Most of them are pretty consistent from year to year.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:51 pm

Section 4 here

GoldHattedGatsby

Bronze

Post by GoldHattedGatsby » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:16 pm

Looks like section 5 for me. Does anyone have classes assigned other than Lawyering?

Edit: And do we really have 9 hours of Lawyering per week? This seems a bit high for just one class...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”