NYU Law Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
brownsugar

New

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Post by brownsugar » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:17 pm

Swimp wrote:
Hey, brownsugar--
The last time I lived in a dorm was my first year of college, which was seven years ago, so my memory of dorm life is somewhat hazy in general, and I know nothing about whatever differences there may be between undergrad and grad dorms. Would you mind mentioning a few things you didn't like about dorms at NYU? I remember the no-alcohol policy was the main sticking point for me at 18, but I'm guessing that doesn't apply anymore. I've been living in the city for a number of years now, but I'm trying to weigh all my options.
So the "dorms" for LS students are apartment-style, and thus not really "dormy" in the way that you're probably thinking. Each apartment has a full kitchen (or what passes for a "full kitchen" in Manhattan) and what not.

I was in D'ag, and there were mostly minor issues I had, but these are the big ones:

-Temperature control. Both student housing buildings switch from cooling to heating back to cooling only once a year. As somebody who likes extremely cold environments (relative to the average), I was dying once the heating came on in the fall...and yet I know people who were essentially living in their jackets for two weeks beforehand because they were the opposite way. The heaters leak heat throughout the winter even if they're "off", so the 68-74 range really isn't where it ends up. On a related note, there are window stoppers and what not on the windows so that you can only crack the windows; even with my window fully open for days on end, I think I got the temperature in my room no lower than probably 65 or 66.

-Noise. This is less of a problem if you're in Mercer and face the courtyard, but the Village is kind of a popular area to be, especially at night, especially on MacDougal Street, which is one side of the block D'ag is in. Since I was facing a street, things like people playing the saxophone on the street would drift up, even if the windows were closed. It didn't bother me all that much in trying to sleep, but when it shows up on recordings you're making, it's kind of an issue. (This is compounded if you're trying to keep your window cracked for ventilation purposes above.)

-Other noise. If you're not in a studio, the doors in between the rooms are not altogether that great about blocking out sound. Even with my room door closed, I could still hear conversations he would be having on the phone. It's not that bad if both doors are closed, but if anybody's doing anything in the common area, for example, you're not going to not hear it. (This creates some obvious concerns.)

-Narrowing of universe. This is kind of to be expected for everyone come finals time, but it's very easy to not leave the bubble MacDougal and Thompson (or MacDougal and Broadway for Mercer people) once classes start up. I liked to go for nighttime wanderings and excursions, so I sort of forced myself to think outside the bubble, but I do know people who would literally not have been south of Houston or above 14th for stretches of weeks. (I became one of those this semester, but that was for other more terrible reasons.)

-Lack of community. This isn't so much a drawback as a lack of benefit that you might be expecting from living on campus, but I didn't know anybody on my floor (17 apartments) outside of my roommate until about November, and that was a kid who was in my section anyway.

Still, if you want to live close, it's probably a better deal than almost everything nearby, there's a doorman, an elevator, and you can wake up at 8:47 and still make your 9am classes with plenty of time to spare. (I became very good at this.) You're also right next to pretty much everything. The West Village is excellent. There's also a surprising amount of storage room in both Mercer and D'ag (space use is extremely efficient), so that is actually much less of a concern than you might imagine.

EDIT: Dorms are not dry dorms, for the record. If that were the case, this wouldn't be a real law school. Friend of mine had as many as 100 bottles of wine in his apartment last year, and I have no reason to think this year is different (he's still on campus).

Swimp

Bronze

Post by Swimp » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:27 pm

brownsugar wrote: So the "dorms" for LS students are apartment-style, and thus not really "dormy" in the way that you're probably thinking. Each apartment has a full kitchen (or what passes for a "full kitchen" in Manhattan) and what not.

I was in D'ag, and there were mostly minor issues I had, but these are the big ones:
Really helpful, thanks. The thing that worries me most about this list is the temperature issue. I prefer colder temperatures too. Hm...

EDIT:
I assume it's really tough to get into the low-rises on Sullivan and MacDougal?

amborness

New

Post by amborness » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:16 pm

Does anyone know about merit scholarships? I haven't applied (and am not intending to apply) to any of the specific scholarships, but I'd like some merit aid!! (who wouldn't!?) Anyone know timeline/process? Other schools seems to send this with acceptance, but NYU doesnt?

maggielizer

New

Post by maggielizer » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:52 pm

amborness wrote:Does anyone know about merit scholarships? I haven't applied (and am not intending to apply) to any of the specific scholarships, but I'd like some merit aid!! (who wouldn't!?) Anyone know timeline/process? Other schools seems to send this with acceptance, but NYU doesnt?
I asked the guy who called with my admission offer and he said we won't hear about financial aid/scholarships until the end of January.

vzapana

Silver

Post by vzapana » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:22 pm

checking in - so excited to visit!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CalleCataluna

New

Post by CalleCataluna » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:16 pm

Hey! Thanks to all the current students answering questions! As I am an international student, my biggest pet peeve about dorms (at least in undergrad) is always them kicking you out during winter and summer breaks. I am in my twenties and not interested in having to go "home" or move to another apartment for extended periods of time. How does this work with the NYU Law dorms?

alldabest13

New

Post by alldabest13 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:31 pm

Really excited about attending NYU next year, looking forward to meeting all of you!

brownsugar

New

Post by brownsugar » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:50 pm

CalleCataluna wrote:Hey! Thanks to all the current students answering questions! As I am an international student, my biggest pet peeve about dorms (at least in undergrad) is always them kicking you out during winter and summer breaks. I am in my twenties and not interested in having to go "home" or move to another apartment for extended periods of time. How does this work with the NYU Law dorms?
So I'm pretty sure that winter break is never a time when you're kicked out. The summer can be tricky (and costs extra, obviously), but I believe if your plan is to stay in the same room for 3 years (assuming you like the apartment you're in 1L year), you're pretty much able to do that outside of like renovations and what not. My roommate last year went and worked outside of NYC, and is back in the same apartment we were in last year (with a different roommate), and I know several people who were able to hold over their same room during the summer if they were working here.

EDIT:
Swimp wrote:EDIT:
I assume it's really tough to get into the low-rises on Sullivan and MacDougal?
Pretty much impossible I believe; not all of the spots open up every year, and it's a straight lottery if I'm not mistaken.

CalleCataluna

New

Post by CalleCataluna » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:52 pm

Thanks! That's very helpful.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous4444

Silver

Post by Anonymous4444 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:27 am

I'm really digging NYU these days. Maybe ill buy a Tshirt.....

Swimp

Bronze

Post by Swimp » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:12 am

Anonymous4444 wrote:I'm really digging NYU these days. Maybe ill buy a Tshirt.....
I like the shirts. They're kind of minimalist and old fashioned. Plus, I like purple.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:34 am

Swimp wrote:
Anonymous4444 wrote:I'm really digging NYU these days. Maybe ill buy a Tshirt.....
I like the shirts. They're kind of minimalist and old fashioned. Plus, I like purple.
I wish we had more sweatshirt options

Anonymous4444

Silver

Post by Anonymous4444 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:02 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
Swimp wrote:
Where can I buy a shirt?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:05 pm

Anonymous4444 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
Swimp wrote:
Where can I buy a shirt?
bookstore on b-way.
though you will be getting a crappy tshirt at ASW in the spring

Anonymous4444

Silver

Post by Anonymous4444 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:25 pm

thx!!my dad wants one also :)

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:33 pm

Anonymous4444 wrote:thx!!my dad wants one also :)
get him some NYU golf balls :lol:

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:31 pm

NYU Football t-shirts are also a must :lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous4444

Silver

Post by Anonymous4444 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:52 pm

Guys I'm a recent grad I'm not made of t shirts.... :D

lsacqueen

Bronze

Post by lsacqueen » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:46 am

Accepted to NYU last week and my mind is working overtime thinking about where I might live next year. Due to $$$, I'd probably be joining the likes of some of you in Brooklyn - maybe Williamsburg or Park Slope area. What are other good housing options? Also how long is the commute from NYU to Williamsburg or Park Slope?

brownsugar

New

Post by brownsugar » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:08 am

A lot of this is going to depend on just how far away you are from what specific subway line, but from any of the neighborhoods you've mentioned you're talking probably 15-20 minutes on average (maybe a little more if you're in the outer reaches of Williamsburg, since that's going to involve a transfer or walking from 14th).

Fort Greene is another popular area, and a fair number of people I know also are even further out than that (Crown Heights, Bushwick, UES/UWS/Harlem, or on the south or east side of Prospect Park).

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:38 am

brownsugar wrote:A lot of this is going to depend on just how far away you are from what specific subway line, but from any of the neighborhoods you've mentioned you're talking probably 15-20 minutes on average (maybe a little more if you're in the outer reaches of Williamsburg, since that's going to involve a transfer or walking from 14th).

Fort Greene is another popular area, and a fair number of people I know also are even further out than that (Crown Heights, Bushwick, UES/UWS/Harlem, or on the south or east side of Prospect Park).
probably more like 1/2 an hour. Don't forget that the desirable locations for Manhattan commuters are similar in price to many similarly accessible places in the city

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lsacqueen

Bronze

Post by lsacqueen » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:04 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
brownsugar wrote:A lot of this is going to depend on just how far away you are from what specific subway line, but from any of the neighborhoods you've mentioned you're talking probably 15-20 minutes on average (maybe a little more if you're in the outer reaches of Williamsburg, since that's going to involve a transfer or walking from 14th).

probably more like 1/2 an hour. Don't forget that the desirable locations for Manhattan commuters are similar in price to many similarly accessible places in the city
Thanks. Is that kind of commute time a really bad trade off, or just super inconvenient for a 1L?

Swimp

Bronze

Post by Swimp » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:21 am

lsacqueen wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

Thanks. Is that kind of commute time a really bad trade off, or just super inconvenient for a 1L?
The really bad part is the uncertainty. I've often felt really frustrated waiting for a train to take me back to Manhattan late at night when coming back from visiting friends in Brooklyn. I can only imagine what state of mind I'd be in if I'd been studying for 6 hours and wanted to be sure to get enough sleep for the next day of the same. A trip that should theoretically take 25 minutes can sometimes take an hour late at night or on a weekend when you're traveling between boroughs, and there's no sure way to know when this will be the case and when it won't.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:16 am

Swimp wrote:
lsacqueen wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

The really bad part is the uncertainty. I've often felt really frustrated waiting for a train to take me back to Manhattan late at night when coming back from visiting friends in Brooklyn. I can only imagine what state of mind I'd be in if I'd been studying for 6 hours and wanted to be sure to get enough sleep for the next day of the same. A trip that should theoretically take 25 minutes can sometimes take an hour late at night or on a weekend when you're traveling between boroughs, and there's no sure way to know when this will be the case and when it won't.
trains in NY are all bad at night or on weekends, but yeah it's definitely more pronounced between the boroughs than just uptown/downtown. Also, if you're desperate and its 4am, you can get from the Village to the Upper East/West side for 15 bucks in a cab, which, although not a great thing to do regularly, is a bit better than doing the same thing to BK.

On the commute in general, there is definitely a downside. For instance, I don't go down for free pizza or as many extracurricular things as I otherwise would, but if you have your own life going on outside of LS, it's not bad at all. And it's definitely not bad enough to be a disruption with regard to class. I haven't missed any classes this semester.

lsacqueen

Bronze

Post by lsacqueen » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:05 pm

Swimp wrote:
lsacqueen wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

trains in NY are all bad at night or on weekends, but yeah it's definitely more pronounced between the boroughs than just uptown/downtown. Also, if you're desperate and its 4am, you can get from the Village to the Upper East/West side for 15 bucks in a cab, which, although not a great thing to do regularly, is a bit better than doing the same thing to BK.

On the commute in general, there is definitely a downside. For instance, I don't go down for free pizza or as many extracurricular things as I otherwise would, but if you have your own life going on outside of LS, it's not bad at all. And it's definitely not bad enough to be a disruption with regard to class. I haven't missed any classes this semester.[/quote]

Are trains just bad late-night or like 8pm and later? I'm not from NYC, and know pretty much no one, so I would prefer to be closer to the LS my first year for social reasons. On the other hand, if you think the commute isn't a big disruption for class or during the day, that's also something to consider. I need to rent an affordable apartment and that's not looking likely in the city.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”