NYU Law Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
maggielizer

New

NYU Law Class of 2016

Post by maggielizer » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:08 pm

So excited to be heading to NYU next fall! Obligatory campus pics:

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

Plus a couple from Greenwich Village and Washington Square Park:

And here's the class of '16 Facebook page: NYU Class of 2016
Last edited by maggielizer on Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Swimp

Bronze

Re: NYU Law Class of 2016

Post by Swimp » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:09 pm

Looking forward to leaving my job. Just another five months...

cornking

New

Post by cornking » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:41 pm

Hey everybody!

First post on TLS.

Just put in confirmation deposit for NYU Law. I'm a NYU alumnus and I'm super excited for round 2. I'm living in Brooklyn now so I'd be happy to answer any questions about living in the city etc... I'd also be curious to know if anyone already living in NYC is planning on moving form an apartment into the dorms or staying in apartment or what - this is all stuff I'm thinking about.

See you in the fall!

brownsugar

New

Post by brownsugar » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:41 am

Hey guys. Glad to see there's already a presence here.
I'm a current 2L at the school, and we're excited to welcome '16 into the fold. If you have any questions, I'm happy to answer them.

If you're on Facebook, the SBA (student government) has set up a Facebook group for you to use to ask questions about the school if you're still deciding, what various processes are, or even just to find out more about how things go around here.

NYU Class of 2016

Feel free to message me directly as well. I'm glad to answer questions.
Last edited by brownsugar on Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:44 am

I'm a lazy 3L. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. I should be able to step away from doing absolutely nothing to give you some perspective. Congrats!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Swimp

Bronze

Post by Swimp » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:13 am

Sugar & Stanford (& any other current NYUers who are lurking)--

Thanks for offering your advice. What do students think of the recently announced changes to the 3L year at NYU? Traveling sounds cool, a government internship sounds cool, but is any of this helpful in terms of resume-building, job-searching, etc? My gut feeling is that it's not.

I know the changes haven't been implemented yet--I'm just curious what, if anything, current students have been saying about it.

maggielizer

New

Post by maggielizer » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:47 am

cornking wrote:Hey everybody!

First post on TLS.

Just put in confirmation deposit for NYU Law. I'm a NYU alumnus and I'm super excited for round 2. I'm living in Brooklyn now so I'd be happy to answer any questions about living in the city etc... I'd also be curious to know if anyone already living in NYC is planning on moving form an apartment into the dorms or staying in apartment or what - this is all stuff I'm thinking about.

See you in the fall!
The law dorms seem crazy expensive. My friends in the city have recommended Brooklyn Heights, but I'm hesitant about living in Brooklyn because it seems kinda far from campus. I'm not really familiar with the area. Where would you recommend apartment-hunting?

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:19 am

I would just like to point out how enthusiastic NYU students are to talk about their school. Literally, any time an NYU thread starts, there's always at least one poster willing to take questions or talk about NYU. I think that reflects pretty positively on the school as a whole :D

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:23 am

Swimp wrote:Sugar & Stanford (& any other current NYUers who are lurking)--

Thanks for offering your advice. What do students think of the recently announced changes to the 3L year at NYU? Traveling sounds cool, a government internship sounds cool, but is any of this helpful in terms of resume-building, job-searching, etc? My gut feeling is that it's not.

I know the changes haven't been implemented yet--I'm just curious what, if anything, current students have been saying about it.
I think it looks really interesting. I mean, 3LOL is a waste as it stands, so any change is probably good :lol:
I won't have as many of the opportunities as some people, since I'm married and thus a bit less mobile. But we already have insane around-the-world opportunities here, and this will probably only make it better.

1L

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Swimp

Bronze

Post by Swimp » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:38 am

JamMasterJ wrote:

I think it looks really interesting. I mean, 3LOL is a waste as it stands, so any change is probably good :lol:
I won't have as many of the opportunities as some people, since I'm married and thus a bit less mobile. But we already have insane around-the-world opportunities here, and this will probably only make it better.

1L
Thanks for the response. I guess I'm just wondering what "insane around-the-world opportunities" are actually worth. When I read NYU's admissions boilerplate language about being a leader in international law and preparing grads to work in a global marketplace, I sort of roll my eyes. Don't get me wrong, this stuff sounds fun and interesting, but it also sounds like a really expensive vacation, which is not why I'm going to law school, and the school dressing it up as a career development exercise is kind of insulting. Unless I'm wrong! Maybe there's value here that I'm not seeing.

alex.feuerman

Bronze

Post by alex.feuerman » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:15 pm

Swimp wrote:Looking forward to leaving my job. Just another five months...
OMG I am so with you on this. I love my office and everyone is so nice, but it's so boring...August!

Swimp

Bronze

Post by Swimp » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:26 pm

alex.feuerman wrote:
Swimp wrote:Looking forward to leaving my job. Just another five months...
OMG I am so with you on this. I love my office and everyone is so nice, but it's so boring...August!
Yeah, I went down and walked around Washington Sq Park and went to the NYU bookstore to pick up a law school shirt on Saturday and I was really wishing I could jump forward a few months in time. Of course, this time next year I'll probably be saying the same thing...

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:50 pm

Swimp wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

1L
Thanks for the response. I guess I'm just wondering what "insane around-the-world opportunities" are actually worth. When I read NYU's admissions boilerplate language about being a leader in international law and preparing grads to work in a global marketplace, I sort of roll my eyes. Don't get me wrong, this stuff sounds fun and interesting, but it also sounds like a really expensive vacation, which is not why I'm going to law school, and the school dressing it up as a career development exercise is kind of insulting. Unless I'm wrong! Maybe there's value here that I'm not seeing.
well from a more practical standpoint, I think we have decent relationships with some of the more international Linklaters-type firms, and I'm sure from their perspective, some overseas experience is appreciated. But I'm not internationally focued (though I do think some transnational corp stuff looked pretty cool), so I'm probably not the best person to speak on this.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:47 pm

Well, I should first point out that the re-vamped 3L program isn't mandatory for students, so I'm sure plenty of people will continue to BS during their third year.

Whether the program will lead to jobs is difficult to say. There is, obviously, a benefit to being able to study and have an internship in a region you desire to work. I'm sure this benefit is stronger in domestic as opposed to foreign offices. If have a few friends who decided to go to administration and compel the office to allow them to study in DC or other areas where they have a spring internship offer, so there are already people doing what NYU is going to make more widely available. I have little to no interest in foreign work, so I'm not entirely sure how that works.

I'm also not sure what concentration programs they're expecting to add. For someone who is interested in corporate work, and more specifically the regulation of financial institutions and financial markets, it would be great if there were a course load geared towards that concentration. An annoying thing for me, and many of my friends who want to focus on some corporate area, is that most of these classes are taught by adjunct professors and we're only allowed 8 credits from adjunct professors.

Lastly, as a random anecdote, this semester I took a bunch of BS classes and seminars. It was fun doing nothing, but ultimately it wasn't very fulfilling. I actually just completely revamped my spring semester course load to more closely mirror what I want to do after I graduate.

Hopefully that made sense.

P.S.

I wouldn't be insulted about the re-vamped 3L year being an "expensive vacation," I'd be insulted by 1L year being a ridiculous, and useless, and stressful vacation. The idea that law school teaches you much of anything that will be of use after you graduate is a joke. Sorry if that's negative, but it's more or less the truth. There are obvious exceptions to this, however.

Swimp

Bronze

Post by Swimp » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:20 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:

Well, I should first point out that the re-vamped 3L program isn't mandatory for students, so I'm sure plenty of people will continue to BS during their third year.

Whether the program will lead to jobs is difficult to say. There is, obviously, a benefit to being able to study and have an internship in a region you desire to work. I'm sure this benefit is stronger in domestic as opposed to foreign offices. If have a few friends who decided to go to administration and compel the office to allow them to study in DC or other areas where they have a spring internship offer, so there are already people doing what NYU is going to make more widely available. I have little to no interest in foreign work, so I'm not entirely sure how that works.

I'm also not sure what concentration programs they're expecting to add. For someone who is interested in corporate work, and more specifically the regulation of financial institutions and financial markets, it would be great if there were a course load geared towards that concentration. An annoying thing for me, and many of my friends who want to focus on some corporate area, is that most of these classes are taught by adjunct professors and we're only allowed 8 credits from adjunct professors.

Lastly, as a random anecdote, this semester I took a bunch of BS classes and seminars. It was fun doing nothing, but ultimately it wasn't very fulfilling. I actually just completely revamped my spring semester course load to more closely mirror what I want to do after I graduate.

Hopefully that made sense.

P.S.

I wouldn't be insulted about the re-vamped 3L year being an "expensive vacation," I'd be insulted by 1L year being a ridiculous, and useless, and stressful vacation. The idea that law school teaches you much of anything that will be of use after you graduate is a joke. Sorry if that's negative, but it's more or less the truth. There are obvious exceptions to this, however.
That's interesting about your friends going to the administration and working out a deal that works for them. It's pretty encouraging that the school is willing to do that for its students, actually.

As for your comment about 1L year, I understand what you mean (as much as any 0L can really understand, I guess), but even if all that work is ultimately not teaching students skills that will be of use long-term (or only doing so very inefficiently), at least it's a way of establishing a basis for discrimination among students. Maybe not a perfect one (maybe not even a good one), but there's some purpose to it. This 3L stuff still seems like it's ultimately kind of pointless, though maybe not as much for people who want to go into government.

Anyway, I appreciate your perspective. I'm interested in financial market regulation too, so here's hoping they add more options toward that end. Let me know if you get wind of a petition or anything like that.

maggielizer

New

Post by maggielizer » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:35 pm

brownsugar wrote:Hey guys. Glad to see there's already a presence here.
I'm a current 2L at the school, and we're excited to welcome '16 into the fold. If you have any questions, I'm happy to answer them.

If you're on Facebook, the SBA (student government) has set up a Facebook group for you to use to ask questions about the school if you're still deciding, what various processes are, or even just to find out more about how things go around here.

NYU Class of 2016

Feel free to message me directly as well. I'm glad to answer questions.
Thanks for the link! I added it to the top. :)

Anonymous4444

Silver

Post by Anonymous4444 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:05 am

Hi all just checking in. Very grateful to NYU for being my first acceptance (aside from duke which I can't attend). Not sure if ill attend but really appreciate NYU putting my mind partially at ease.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cornking

New

Post by cornking » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:53 am

Hey Maggielizer as in lies her ass off.

The dorms do seem crazy expensive. But then again so is law school, and if being in the dorms means being more plugged-in to what's going on and doing better in school, and ultimately getting a better j-o-b, then maybe it's worth it. Plus, you don't have to worry about utilities, internet, broker's fees (if you're so inclined) et cetera.

Brooklyn heights is nice. It's very pretty. It's also crazy expensive. And for the same reason that it's crazy expensive--that it's really close to lower Manhattan/financial district--it also has a very high contingent of Wall Street types, which may or may not be your thing.

alex.feuerman

Bronze

Post by alex.feuerman » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:12 am

Went to dinner around Brooklyn Brige last night and then was walking around the village.
In love <3

sokomofo

Bronze

Post by sokomofo » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:17 am

Last edited by sokomofo on Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brownsugar

New

Post by brownsugar » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:18 am

The convenience is kind of unmatched in the on-campus housing. That being said, it's not everybody's jam. Mercer is a bit of a stretch if you're entirely on loans, and while D'ag is actually pretty affordable and honestly not that small for New York, your entire universe could very well be three blocks. A lot of people live in the East Village, a decent number in the Gramercy/Kips Bay/Turtle Bay area, and a ton in Park Slope or in Williamsburg/Bushwick.

As somebody who is incredibly lazy and probably shouldn't be trusted with a 30-minute commute, I moved off campus for 2L year, but within the Village. In paying about the same price as the dorms, my apartment is significantly smaller (and by most peoples' standards, probably worse), but there were certain things that I wanted that I couldn't get with on-campus housing. That being said, being in D'ag my first year, especially being unfamiliar with the city, was a much-needed transition for me.

My unsolicited two cents.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

maggielizer

New

Post by maggielizer » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:38 am

cornking wrote:Hey Maggielizer as in lies her ass off.

The dorms do seem crazy expensive. But then again so is law school, and if being in the dorms means being more plugged-in to what's going on and doing better in school, and ultimately getting a better j-o-b, then maybe it's worth it. Plus, you don't have to worry about utilities, internet, broker's fees (if you're so inclined) et cetera.

Brooklyn heights is nice. It's very pretty. It's also crazy expensive. And for the same reason that it's crazy expensive--that it's really close to lower Manhattan/financial district--it also has a very high contingent of Wall Street types, which may or may not be your thing.
Hey, hermano.

That's a good point regarding the convenience factor of the dorms. And I didn't know about the Wall Street types in Brooklyn Heights...thanks for the heads-up!

maggielizer

New

Post by maggielizer » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:40 am

brownsugar wrote:The convenience is kind of unmatched in the on-campus housing. That being said, it's not everybody's jam. Mercer is a bit of a stretch if you're entirely on loans, and while D'ag is actually pretty affordable and honestly not that small for New York, your entire universe could very well be three blocks. A lot of people live in the East Village, a decent number in the Gramercy/Kips Bay/Turtle Bay area, and a ton in Park Slope or in Williamsburg/Bushwick.

As somebody who is incredibly lazy and probably shouldn't be trusted with a 30-minute commute, I moved off campus for 2L year, but within the Village. In paying about the same price as the dorms, my apartment is significantly smaller (and by most peoples' standards, probably worse), but there were certain things that I wanted that I couldn't get with on-campus housing. That being said, being in D'ag my first year, especially being unfamiliar with the city, was a much-needed transition for me.

Thanks, good to know! I'm a non-New Yorker, so the only thing I know about Williamsburg is that it's home to hipsters and Hasidim. :)

Swimp

Bronze

Post by Swimp » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:45 am

brownsugar wrote:The convenience is kind of unmatched in the on-campus housing. That being said, it's not everybody's jam. Mercer is a bit of a stretch if you're entirely on loans, and while D'ag is actually pretty affordable and honestly not that small for New York, your entire universe could very well be three blocks. A lot of people live in the East Village, a decent number in the Gramercy/Kips Bay/Turtle Bay area, and a ton in Park Slope or in Williamsburg/Bushwick.

Hey, brownsugar--
The last time I lived in a dorm was my first year of college, which was seven years ago, so my memory of dorm life is somewhat hazy in general, and I know nothing about whatever differences there may be between undergrad and grad dorms. Would you mind mentioning a few things you didn't like about dorms at NYU? I remember the no-alcohol policy was the main sticking point for me at 18, but I'm guessing that doesn't apply anymore. I've been living in the city for a number of years now, but I'm trying to weigh all my options.

Swimp

Bronze

Post by Swimp » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:47 am

maggielizer wrote:

Thanks, good to know! I'm a non-New Yorker, so the only thing I know about Williamsburg is that it's home to hipsters and Hasidim. :)
...and (now) hedge fund managers.

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2011/06/1 ... thouse.php

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”