Michigan Law Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)

Which ASW will you be attending?

March 21-23
46%
April 4-6
24%
Both (Is this an option?)
No votes
Neither
30%

Total votes: 70

Gold

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2016

Post by 04102014 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:09 pm

Finally booked my flight for the march ASW. Fun!

curious66

Bronze

Post by curious66 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:40 pm

roundabout

Bronze

Post by roundabout » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:00 pm

Welcome to Michigan everyone! First, if you have any questions about MLaw or preview weekends (don't miss the SFF auction if you can help it- it's amazing), don't hesitate to PM me. (You can also write back here, but I don't come here much these days)

I'm also joining the slew of housing posts (I found a great subletter here last year): I have a one-bedroom an 8-minute walk from campus (near Main Street; the summer social scene/art fair/film festival/etc. switches to Main in the summer) in a quiet grad student house with AC, free laundry, and parking. I'm a 3L, so there is also an option to take over the lease in the fall. Place can come mostly furnished (couch, table and chairs, and bed) or unfurnished. PM me if you're interested.

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:16 pm

Welcome, class of 2016! :)

At the risk of turning your "meet new people!" thread into a "desperate 2Ls & 3Ls seeking subletter" thread, I'd like to offer my place up to any summer starters for the coming year. It's a basement, one-bedroom apartment a very short distance from school. Free parking, free laundry, free utilities. Not bad!

Also, if you have any questions at all, please let me know. I came from across the country to Michigan (having only been to the state once before - for the ASW!), so I'm happy to give any advice about transitioning to Michigan that I can.

I'm looking forward to meeting some of you at ASW, and in Fall 2013!

oaken

Bronze

Post by oaken » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:04 pm

oh sweet a new notification on facebook, someone must have posted something funny on my wall or invited me to hang out or something

nope just another 2L trying to sublet their single bedroom in a house

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

labellavita688

New

Post by labellavita688 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:46 pm

oaken wrote:oh sweet a new notification on facebook, someone must have posted something funny on my wall or invited me to hang out or something

I loled. I can't say I really blame them, but I'm going to live in the LC so every time a sublet post comes up it's very anticlimactic for me. Somebody post something cool!

Minesweeper

New

Post by Minesweeper » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:55 pm

Michigan 1L right here. For those of you summer starters who need a place to stay, guess who has the perfect 3-minute walk from the law school apartment in Ann Arbor? This guy. It even comes with the greatest roommate ever (roommate is staying in Ann Arbor over break to do one of the clinics). I will be doing a firm job somewhere acting like I'm busy.

Craigslist link: --LinkRemoved--

I'm willing to answer any other questions. Oh, and if you're a summer starter, it'd be a great advantage to live for a couple of months with a guy who just went through the 1L gauntlet.

PM me.

jrthor10

Bronze

Post by jrthor10 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:26 am

labellavita688 wrote:
oaken wrote:oh sweet a new notification on facebook, someone must have posted something funny on my wall or invited me to hang out or something

I loled. I can't say I really blame them, but I'm going to live in the LC so every time a sublet post comes up it's very anticlimactic for me. Somebody post something cool!
Serously. I am going to establish a new rule for 2Ls and 3Ls posting here and in the Facebook group:

If you are going to give us a post about how awesome and available your apartment is this summer, fine. But you have to include one of the following:

I. Something awesome about the law school that I am unlikely as a 0L to currently know about
II. An awesome story about you drunk while in law school and all of the fun you had
III. Kate Upton's #
IV. All of the above.

If you can't include one of these, I'm sorry, but I am not interested in your post about your super convenient apartment.

Still have nothing but love for you though!
Last edited by jrthor10 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

vzapana

Silver

Post by vzapana » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:32 am

jrthor10 wrote:
labellavita688 wrote:

Serously. I am going to establish a new rule for 2Ls and 3Ls posting here and in the Facebook group:

If you are going to give us a post about awesome and available your apartment is this summer, fine. But you have to include one of the following:

I. Something awesome about the law school that I am unlikely as a 0L to currently know about
II. An awesome story about you drunk while in law school and all of the fun you had
III. Kate Upton's #
IV. All of the above.

If you can't include one of these, I'm sorry, but I am not interested in your post about your super convenient apartment.

+180

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

labellavita688

New

Post by labellavita688 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:38 am

jrthor10 wrote:
labellavita688 wrote:

If you are going to give us a post about how awesome and available your apartment is this summer, fine. But you have to include one of the following:

III. Kate Upton's #
IV. All of the above.

+infinity

III. Kate Upton and/or Jensen Ackles' #. :)

zoidberg86

Bronze

Post by zoidberg86 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:30 pm

jrthor10 wrote:
labellavita688 wrote:

III. Kate Upton's #
IV. All of the above.

+1
100% in agreement.

labellavita688

New

Post by labellavita688 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:46 pm

I'm not sure I understand why they don't just start a separate thread for subletting. Then the people who want to sublet and the people who are trying to unload their apartments can find one another without any more flimsy "Welcome to Michigan! Not to threadjack here, but -threadjack-."

(No offense meant, btw. It's just kind of irritating.)

Minesweeper

New

Post by Minesweeper » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:43 pm

Totally sorry, folks. I had no idea that it's apparently an uncool thing to post about your apartment here. Given that I have no Kate Upton numbers to offer (indeed, it's hairy roommate), please ignore my post.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

oaken

Bronze

Post by oaken » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:38 pm

eh it's not like we're using the thread/group for much else anyway.

so i read about this guy in the "law quadrangle" alumni magazine they sent and now i want to read one of his books http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_S._Kemp

makes you wonder why the hell he went to law school though

oaken

Bronze

Post by oaken » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:40 pm

also you literally can't tell a funny story about law school? depressing

jackbauer10

Bronze

Post by jackbauer10 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:32 pm

registered for March ASW!! definitely want to go out on saturday night with the TLSers who will be attending :)

backtothebeat

New

Post by backtothebeat » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:15 pm

if any summer starters are looking to sublet a place, let me know. i live in a 3BR apartment on packard street, about an 8 minute walk from the law school. doesn't look like my other 2 roommates will be subletting their rooms, so likely that you would have it to yourself. Rent is $600 plus utilities. email me at nyrangers890@yahoo.com if you want pictures, etc. the apartment is fully furnished. i'm flexible on the dates you'd need it for, so just let me know in the e-mail.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

clgers@umich.edu

New

Post by clgers@umich.edu » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:17 pm

Hi All,

I've just posted a beautiful house, a huge three-bedroom or a big four-bedroom, available for the summer. It's .3 miles from the law school and very, very cheap. Take a look: --LinkRemoved--. Please get in touch if you want to come by; this one is priced to move.

-Charlie

VeeD101

Bronze

Post by VeeD101 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:25 pm

backtothebeat wrote:if any summer starters are looking to sublet a place, let me know. i live in a 3BR apartment on packard street, about an 8 minute walk from the law school. doesn't look like my other 2 roommates will be subletting their rooms, so likely that you would have it to yourself. Rent is $600 plus utilities. email me at nyrangers890@yahoo.com if you want pictures, etc. the apartment is fully furnished. i'm flexible on the dates you'd need it for, so just let me know in the e-mail.
clgers@umich.edu wrote:Hi All,

I've just posted a beautiful house, a huge three-bedroom or a big four-bedroom, available for the summer. It's .3 miles from the law school and very, very cheap. Take a look: --LinkRemoved--. Please get in touch if you want to come by; this one is priced to move.

-Charlie
You guys are not following the 'advertising for sublets' protocol set above. Disappointing. Come on give us some fun stories about Michigan Law already!!!

BuckinghamB

Bronze

Post by BuckinghamB » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:46 am

Hi all, 1L here. Not here to plug a sublet, but just to officially make myself available for any questions if you have any. Feel free to PM me or ask ITT. I know it was really helpful to me when current students did the same last year.

jrthor10

Bronze

Post by jrthor10 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:19 am

Seriously people, follow the protocol. It's not hard--you just have to post one of those three things. If it is this difficult to hear a fun/funny story about UM Law I am very concerned.

BuckinghamB--thanks for your willingness to answer questions!

Mine are:

1. What's the social scene like with the law school crowd? Do you guys interact much with people in different sections and/or outside of the law school?

2. Mich is known for its friendly vibe--especially in comparison to more gunner-oriented schools. Is this accurate?

3. What's the mood on campus with regards to jobs? Michigan seems to be dropping off a bit in the recent years OCI results. Are people nervous/worried? Any idea why this is? Some have suggested Mich may have more self-selection for PI and smaller market firms. Thoughts?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

labellavita688

New

Post by labellavita688 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:34 pm

jrthor10 wrote:2. Mich is known for its friendly vibe--especially in comparison to more gunner-oriented schools. Is this accurate?
I'm definitely curious about this as well. My boyfriend goes to a tier 3, and even there he says there are a ton of gunners and people who try to "game" each other. Makes me nervous.

Another question: If you joined any law assocs or clubs, how much time did they tend to take up during 1L year? I'm very interested in getting involved (not doing so is one of my biggest regrets re: undergrad), but considering the workload I don't want to overextend myself. Any advice?

And thanks :)

jmh14

New

Post by jmh14 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:03 pm

Just got accepted yesterday and I will definitely be attending this Fall! I will also be going to the 2nd Preview weekend in April and look forward to meeting everyone there! I am from the Metro-Detroit area and have been to UMichigan/Ann Arbor many times. If anyone has any questions about the area or life in Michigan, I'd be happy to answer as best I can!

PS: for those of you that haven't been to the campus or have seen the law quad in person, the pictures just don't do it justice. Seriously one of the most beautiful places I've ever been!

jackbauer10

Bronze

Post by jackbauer10 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:43 pm

jmh14 wrote:Just got accepted yesterday and I will definitely be attending this Fall!
Congrats!!!

VeeD101

Bronze

Post by VeeD101 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:30 pm

jmh14 wrote:Just got accepted yesterday and I will definitely be attending this Fall! I will also be going to the 2nd Preview weekend in April and look forward to meeting everyone there! I am from the Metro-Detroit area and have been to UMichigan/Ann Arbor many times. If anyone has any questions about the area or life in Michigan, I'd be happy to answer as best I can!

PS: for those of you that haven't been to the campus or have seen the law quad in person, the pictures just don't do it justice. Seriously one of the most beautiful places I've ever been!
Congrats! Your post got me even more excited to visit in April! if you're staying on Saturday, we're trying to do a TLS night :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”